Sleeping Dogs

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Sleeping Dogs

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:03 pm

Was taking part in the street fighting mini game which was on a roof. In the middle of the 6th round and i slammed a guy into the railing and he went over but because i was still holding the A button he jumped down after him resulting in a fail. :sad:
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Spokane » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:17 pm

That's one of the few complaints I have heard about it, the controls can be gay like that sometimes.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:19 pm

Yeah it was annoying as i had nearly finished the last round.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Funktion » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:41 pm

After clocking in about 14 hours in the past day and a half (something I haven't done in years), I must say I'm really enjoying the game, far more than I expected.

I doesn't re-invent the wheel (in fact, it lifts lots of different elements from lots of different games), but it does so much and so well, it ends up forming a whole cohesive, fun, game experience.
Unlike other open-world games, the missions seem a little more interesting, and a little less repetitive, probably because you do missions for both triads and cops, so while for the first faction you do the usual running and gunning and taking "x" person to "y" place, with the cop missions you do a little bit of investigative work, and it's a nice change of pace.

Even the non-story missions and collectables are a rather fun diversion. It helps that the city of Hong Kong has lots of chances for "vertical" gameplay: you climb and jump through buildings, construction sites, ...

On the technical front, the controls are pretty great once you get the hang of it (the fighting, in particular, is rather fun, with all the different techniques, finishers and environmental kills), the graphics are lovely (I'm playing on a 4 year old PC, and the game runs smoothly at near maximum settings (only AA and SSAO is not at the maximum setting available)), the voice acting is great, with lots of familiar voices, and there's a kick-ass track selection for the in-game radios (what else can I say, when Warp and Ninja Tune have a radio station each =D>; driving around listening to Plaid, Squarepusher, Clark, LFO, Autechre, Coldcut, The Cinematic Orchestra, or "oldies" from Tears for Fears, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Queen, The Who, and many more is seriously awesome!).

Overall, Sleeping Dogs is, for me, a very nice surprise, and I can't wait to play some more.
It's one of those rare games I see myself completing 100%, including all the little collectibles, because it's just so damn fun, even just driving around seeing the sights and listening to some awesome music, or picking up some fights to drop someone on a garbage container, or on the back of a car.

Funktion has received a thanks from: QWERTY
Funktion
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Neo Matrix » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:03 pm

I played for 8 hours and I don't think I ran into the voices of Kelly Hu or Lucy Liu...
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:10 pm

I got told today, the game is 12 hours long? How short is it really?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Neo Matrix » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:19 pm

It's probably possible to finish in 12 hours just going through the story, but I only got to 40% playing for 8 hours...
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:45 am

Ive read the main story is short but im only around 15% complete as im doing side quests aswell.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDdgKAf6f6U[/youtube]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Tuffty » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:42 am

No lie, that video really makes me want to get this game.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:11 am

Ive been running around as Ryo for a while now getting into as many fights as possible.

May have to rip the OST to my XBox and have that playing.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Funktion » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:28 am

AnimeGamer183 wrote:I got told today, the game is 12 hours long? How short is it really?

Probably that would be if you only did story missions, and skipped everything else, but what's the fun in that? Especially since there's so many missions that just pop-up (for random people, to gain "face" (reputation)) you starting having trouble knowing what is part of the story and what is not. If some of these missions weren't marked in yellow on the map, they could almost pass as "proper" missions.
Imagine playing Shenmue and never interacting with anybody, never buying anything, not trying to learn new moves to improve the character. It would be really no fun.

I clocked in around 14 hours so far, I've apparently done about 50% of the side content (since I just received an achievement for completing 50% of the non-story elements), but last time I checked I hadn't even played 20% of the story missions.

Nowadays, due to work and other everyday commitments, I find myself having trouble finishing games that are over 6-8 hours, due to lack of time (and patience :lol:; which is rather ironic, since I've always been a big fan of RPGs, which usually are quite long games), but I'm finding the game so much fun I have clocked in a significant amount of time already, and I'm not about to stop.
In comparison, I didn't play more than 2-3 hours of GTA IV, since I found it quite frankly a total bore, and I was forcing myself to play the game.
Funktion

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:35 am

Driving is getting better and the bikes actually seem to handle like it does in Shenmue 1
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby QWERTY » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:24 am

I generally don't buy sandbox-style games; I still have Red Dead Redemption that was given to me as a birthday gift last year and I've literally invested 3 hours max in it, but this game intrigues me somewhat.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Mitsuzuki » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:39 am

Neo Matrix wrote:I played for 8 hours and I don't think I ran into the voices of Kelly Hu or Lucy Liu...

I've been trying to find them as well, and I'm about 6 hours in. I KNOW I haven't heard James (the fucking MAN) Hong yet. Can't wait!

I figured this game might be a fun romp, but I didn't expect it to be this much fun.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby Funktion » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:21 pm

Mitsuzuki wrote:
Neo Matrix wrote:I played for 8 hours and I don't think I ran into the voices of Kelly Hu or Lucy Liu...

I've been trying to find them as well, and I'm about 6 hours in. I KNOW I haven't heard James (the fucking MAN) Hong yet. Can't wait!

I figured this game might be a fun romp, but I didn't expect it to be this much fun.

18 hours in, and I heard James Hong and Kelly Hu (James Hong comes quite a bit later than Kelly Hu), but I still haven't come across Lucy Liu's character.

The voice acting for the game is really good, I especially like the main character.
The out-of-tune voice for the karaoke songs are hilarious.

Speaking of karaoke songs, this is a game after my heart: the first and only karaoke song that is unlocked at the start of the game: The Clash - I Fought The Law. \:D/
Funktion

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming