Square and Enix RPG's(anything outside Final Fantasy)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Square RPG's(anything outside Final Fantasy)

Postby OL » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:53 pm

Bluecast wrote:I keep going back and forth if I should get the one on 360. Heard some say it sucks but usually from SO fans. I'm just a sucker for RPG's so I rarely don't like one I play. So not sure. I keep seeing it at my local shops but for over 20$. I won't pay 20-25$ for a game I'm not sure about.

If you ever decide on it, I'd say get the International version for PS3 (you have one now, right?).
Still haven't gotten it myself, but I'm sure that's the version I'll get when I do. Just a few extra options in there to play around with, like dual-language tracks and two different choices for character portraits (anime-style or cg). Probably other stuff too.

And Star Ocean is Enix, not Square.
Topic title change time.
(^^say that five times fast :P )
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Re: Square and Enix RPG's(anything outside Final Fantasy)

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:55 pm

So was DQ but they are one company now so it counts as Square. Also no. I don't have my hearing til september and then takes 3 weeks for a decision and then 2 months for a check. Only then can I get a PS3 and by that time may as well get the slimmer version.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:38 am

I would also get the PS3 version. It has better cover art.

Star Ocean: The Last Hope International is an international version of The Last Hope which was released February, 2010 exclusively for the PlayStation 3. It came on a single Blu-ray Disc and contains new additional exclusive content for the PlayStation 3 such as dual voices (Japanese and English), the original illustrated character portraits for dialogues, as well as multiple new soundtracks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Ocean:_The_Last_Hope

and thats straight from wikipedia. I figured the extra soundtracks would be enough to pique ryudos interest :P
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:55 am

Everyone says to go with the international version but never picks it up. Well I made the mistake of doing it once.

Basically its not really a good game either way, its a huge disappointment on both consoles but if you're really set on actually playing it get the 360 version if you want a collector's piece PS# (plus it fits nicely with the other Star Ocean Playstation games). The main reason being that there was a filter removed from the International version and that filter suppressed lighting. You can get a headache or a pretty bad case of nausea after playing for only an hour or two.

That said all the "extras" aren't really all that extra or cool. The biggest thing the International version has over the original is that a lot of game crashing bugs were fixed (for example if you tried to side attack an enemy then opened the menu the game would freeze). The new art style is nice, but its just UI, it doesn't change how the characters look overall, just the menus, and the voice acting just plain sucks in both languages. The English voice actors actually did a great job mimicking the Japanese ones, but the cast sucks so bad that it doesn't matter. For example Lym is just as boring and monotone in Japanese as English.

If you're not actually going to play it, get the international version, if you do plan on beating it do 360.

Still at the end of the day its a misfire, it focuses on a group of very annoying and boring characters while actually having the balls to keep mentioning a way more interesting group of characters, and when you try to retreat into battles to get away from the bollocks story you keep glitching yourself into a freeze. Even if you do play the PS3 version, you can't put any real concentration into the game because if you do you'll just end up sick.

*another note disc swapping the 360 version is also a fucking pain, since they just up and swap discs, its not like FF7 or MGS where the swap points were based around big events, you'll just be walking in a field and get a prompt to swap discs, and if you DARE turn around and walk 3 feet back the game will ask yo to swap again.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Yukupo » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:45 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:*another note disc swapping the 360 version is also a fucking pain, since they just up and swap discs, its not like FF7 or MGS where the swap points were based around big events, you'll just be walking in a field and get a prompt to swap discs, and if you DARE turn around and walk 3 feet back the game will ask yo to swap again.
Wow, what terrible design...
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:36 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd0vWl9SKGI[/youtube]

First hour of gameplay
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:57 pm

This limited edition includes a copy of the game, the game's original soundtrack, an art album, an original protect case for 3DS, and a life size AR poster. The latter three items will not be sold separately.

The Collectors Pack costs ¥12,800, double the price of the standard version's ¥6,090. It will be sold exclusively through the Square Enix e-Shop.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Bluecast » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:23 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl6ZN--GlQQ[/youtube]
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:58 pm

2 discs? that could get real annoying in a console MMORPG, thus the 16 gig USB version, obviously. I some how doubt that will make it over to the west though. :/
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:06 am

AnimeGamer183 wrote:2 discs? that could get real annoying in a console MMORPG, thus the 16 gig USB version, obviously. I some how doubt that will make it over to the west though. :/

It will also be on Wii U so if we do get it,count on Wii U not Wii. Other than Kirby in the US & Fatal Frame in Europe Nintendo is done with Wii.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:51 am

and TLS. It doesnt look like Pandoras Tower will be making it over (but I own that already anyways). But I am going to be skipping DQX as I did DQIX, im just not that interested in it. Hopefully SE can start making games I actually want to play again, till then I will look to Monolith, Mistwalker, Falcom, and all the other decent but fading JRPG devs. :sad:
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:09 am

Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:55 am

We're still using this topic? Otherwise cool news be interesting to see what comes of it.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Stocke » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:01 pm

The world ends with you was my favourite DS game until Radiant Historia. Cant wait to find out more about it.

Stocke has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:03 pm

Riku Rose wrote:We're still using this topic? Otherwise cool news be interesting to see what comes of it.

Yea because its better then having "The SaGa thread", "The Ogre thread", "The mana thread", "The Kingdom Hearts thread", "The Star Ocean thread" etc etc. Might as well keep it in one place.

Stocke wrote:The world ends with you was my favourite DS game until Radiant Historia. Cant wait to find out more about it.

Radiant Historia isn't a Square-Enix game, the PS2 game Radiata Stories was.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming