Psygnosis (developers of wipEout) shut down by Sony

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Psygnosis (developers of wipEout) shut down by Sony

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:29 am

I see where you're coming from, If I can find time to get a handle on fury again I wouldn't mind going a few rounds myself.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: QWERTY
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Mitsuzuki » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:30 am

I'll always identify Psygnosis with the Amiga. The games looked and sounded best by far on that platform.

Lemmings and Shadow of the Beast were fantastic, but don't forget about Barbarian! A classic.

And their box art goes down as among the best in the biz:

Mitsuzuki has received 3 thanks from: OL, QWERTY, SaM_4000
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:36 am

Shit I missed that they made Lemmings I put so many hours into that on the Mega Drive.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby QWERTY » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:04 pm

Yeah I know it's IGN but meh whatever...

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/08/23/a ... n-12-games
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby south carmain » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:28 pm

I didn't know they made destruction derby, had some fun with that back in the day, the wipeout 2048 review was ridiculous though as he kept on comparing it to wipeout hd as if it's surprising a handheld game doesn't compare as well as it's console equivalent
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby QWERTY » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:40 pm

south carmain wrote:I didn't know they made destruction derby, had some fun with that back in the day, the wipeout 2048 review was ridiculous though as he kept on comparing it to wipeout hd as if it's surprising a handheld game doesn't compare as well as it's console equivalent

That's IGN for you. Gaming journalism at its poorest. I bought Edge magazine the other day for the first time in years, don't know why as I don't play that many games, I found it very well written but a bit boring in all honesty. It's one of those where they take gaming a little too seriously.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby south carmain » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:51 pm

I think that's the main problem, people forget that gaming is for
fun
and most reviewers are smugger than wine tasters these days

south carmain has received 2 thanks from: OL, Segata Sanshiro Jr.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Clint » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:02 pm

Shame to see yet another long-standing developer fall victim to the times. It seems like only the major players in the industry are guaranteed their survival, taking the lions share.

Wipeout has been one of my favourite gaming memories, way back in the mid 90's. Everything Wipeout-related has been stellar, including the PS3 release. I spent countless hours on HD before I defected to the dark side. I hope to play some of their games again in the future.

They'll be missed but hopefully not forgotten. Seems like another nail in the coffin for those who paved the way.
Last edited by Clint on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clint has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:12 pm

QWERTY™ wrote:That's IGN for you. Gaming journalism at its poorest. I bought Edge magazine the other day for the first time in years, don't know why as I don't play that many games, I found it very well written but a bit boring in all honesty. It's one of those where they take gaming a little too seriously.

I bought a couple of issues of EDGE a few years back to see what all the fuss was about but like you said it can be boring. They seem to go on and on like everything in gaming should be what Hitchcock did for cinema. I see it in the shop the other day and thought about giving it another go but just couldn't be arsed. Print is just to slow now.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby ys » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:24 pm

QWERTY™ wrote:
“It has been decided that Liverpool Studio should be closed. Liverpool Studio has been an important part of SCE Worldwide Studios since the outset of PlayStation, and have contributed greatly to PlayStation over the years. Everyone connected with Liverpool Studio, past and present, can be very proud of their achievements.

“However, it was felt that by focusing our investment plans on other Studios that are currently working on exciting new projects, we would be in a stronger position to offer the best possible content for our consumers.

Haha, I fucking hate management types sometimes. I understand financial aspects and all of course. But it's so typical "business" to first bring some good news bullshit with a straight face about their importance, they can be proud etc. And then comes : but we don't need you, bye.
It's one of the things they learn in management courses which makes them feel all smart: to make bad news not sound so bad. Some also think employees are so dumb they can't see through it.

About serious gaming journalism. I thought about that after seeing Guild Wars 2 beta live coverage. Many were discussing this in a way that felt over the top. With some guys in the studio, then some "correspondents" giving opinions, back to the studio to analyze the skill bar etc. I found it funny in an unintentional way. But this maybe deserves an own thread.

PS AMAZING box art up there compared to lots of art these days which is of the variety : let's throw some layers together in Photoshop.

PPS What are the odds, I'm not a big fan but happened to play Wipeout today after more than a year. Then I stumble over this thread.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby QWERTY » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:48 am

Just stumbled across this:

http://archigram.westminster.ac.uk/

Postmodern architectural magazine/project from the 60s, Archigram. This is apparently where much of The Designers Republic got their inspiration from for the WipEout artwork. All created in pen and paper back then too.

QWERTY has received a thanks from: OL
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Bluecast » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:00 pm

OL wrote:If Ryudo were here he'd just tell you how WipEout sucks and F-Zero is better, but I always loved WipEout. One of the first games I marvelled at on the original Playstation. Never had a full copy myself, but it's a series I always made a habit of playing the demos for.

Never payed much attention to the name Psygnosis myself I guess, but apparently they also published Lemmings, which was huge back in the day. Loved that game so much. Such a classic.
And yeah, Overboard and G-Police were great as well.

I never said Wipeout sucks. I just said I prefer F zero over it.

This news sucks however.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Tuffty » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:40 pm

Fuck I thought the name was familiar. Always liked G-Police back in the day and was hoping for a reboot/sequel at some point. Guess that's dead in the water now.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Shenmuedabest » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:37 am

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fo ... acing-game

New wipEout game under a different name being made by the original team. HYPE!
Shenmuedabest
Banned
Banned

Postby SaM_4000 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:10 am

Mitsuzuki wrote: I'll always identify Psygnosis with the Amiga. The games looked and sounded best by far on that platform.

Lemmings and Shadow of the Beast were fantastic, but don't forget about Barbarian! A classic.

And their box art goes down as among the best in the biz:

Wow, I can't believe it took until page two for someone to mention their classics on the Amiga!

Psygnosis were extremely talented team, who pumped out many classics back in the day. So sad to see them shutdown...
SaM_4000
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Previous

Return to General Gaming