Yakuza series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Yakuza series

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:51 pm

Yakuza 5 is rejigging its combat system to include dance battles and brawls that blend more seamlessly with the rest of the game.

These details emerged from Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu (via Andriasang). When playing as teenage wannabe pop sensation Haruka, players will engage in dance offs against rivals in a rhythm action game set to five genres: hip hop, house, idol, jazz and rock. Successful moves will build up a gauge that when full can be used to unleash special Heat moves.

Upon the end of each dance battle she'll be judged by spectators. If she wins, her "expression power" rises, helping her level up.

As for the more familiar bone-crunching brawls, you'll have to battle right on the spot with an encountered foe, as opposed to the staid mechanics of yesteryear that slowly transitioned into a closed off arena for battles. Purportedly enemy AI and animations have been spruced up, too.

Riku Rose has received 2 thanks from: OL, south carmain
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby south carmain » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:07 pm

now I know people will probably find the pop part weird and I'll probably be seen as weird for liking it as well but I can't wait to be a teen idol engaging in cheesy j-pop battles in osaka

south carmain has received a thanks from: OL
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:17 pm

I wish you could fight as Haruka, thats some real fuckin girl power.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby mue 26 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:47 pm

I'm trying to avoid reading any more about this game until it's inevitable(ly slow) localisation and release. It's going to be hard.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:55 pm

I'll just be avoiding story stuff. I've always been able to do that in the past for each game in the series, so I don't think it'll be too hard this time either.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:58 pm

personally I kind of regret already knowing the situation of characters, I loved going nearly completely blind in to yakuza 4

south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Spokane » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:20 pm

Yeah, the whole Haruka being a pop star thing for example.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby mue 26 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:44 pm

south carmain wrote:personally I kind of regret already knowing the situation of characters, I loved going nearly completely blind in to yakuza 4

Yeah, with some games I just love going into them as blind as possible and everything being a surprise. Like, imagine how surprised a Yakuza fan would be that the game has all these different cities, if they never followed the hype before release. I think the last game that I had a properly complete media block out for was Zelda SS.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:34 am

More goodies from Captain Epic at KHHSubs.

New Battle System

The concept of "Anyone can do it, it's simple, it's cool!", which is a feature of battles in the Ryu ga Gotoku series, is still present, but the fundamentals of the system have had a complete reform! Not just the attack and movement animations of the existing characters, but also the AI and the battle staging have been completely redesigned from scratch. The protagonists' engage in dynamic and realistic battles with plenty of emphasis on each character's idiosyncrasies.

The strategic and exhilarating new battle system has content which can be enjoyed by everyone who plays this game - both those who have played previous games in the series and those who are playing a Ryu ga Gotoku game for the first time.

In addition, this game introduces a new "Ultimate Technique" system - an exciting evolution to the battle system. "Ultimate Technique" is a powerful attack, unique to each character, which can be unleashed in battle when specific conditions are met. It overwhelms enemies and is easy to use, making "Ultimate Technique" a powerful weapon for the protagonists' in these new battles.

Kiryu Kazuma
Do not anger this man...

Kiryu's toughness, which earned him the name of "Dragon of Dojima", is still present in this game. He is an all-round fighter who knows a wide variety of techniques and has unyielding strength, no matter how many enemies he comes up against. The whole host of new techniques, as well as many familiar techniques from the series, he learns will get him out of all kinds of sticky situations.

Ultimate Technique - Pride of the Angry Dragon

Kiryu's Special Heat is "Pride of the Angry Dragon", which releases all his built up anger. He thrusts himself into the face of an enemy attack and beats them down with an unforgiving and overwhelming attack. He is able to strike with many violent techniques with no holding back, as he takes out his anger on an opponent.

Saejima Taiga
This man with unrivalled, superhuman strength is even more violent!

Saejima's overwhelming superhuman strength, which crushes anything in his path, is more refined. In addition to dealing a crushing blow with built up power, he can now beat down opponents with powerful charges and throws.

Ultimate Technique - Knowledge of the Ferocious Tiger

Making the most of his absolute superhuman strength, Saejima is able to use any object as a weapon. He can rip up the likes of signposts or other huge equipment set up on the streets and can beat down an opponent with the use of many special attacks, or by swinging it around as a weapon against the enemies in front of him.

Akiyama Shun
The Speed Star Soars!

Akiyama is skilled with his agile feet, with which he can turn on a dime. With his bombardment of hits, he doesn't even leave himself open to counterattack opportunities. He certainly lives up to his name of "Speed Star" when he makes sport of his enemies with his movement. He has a wide variety of consecutive strikes with which he gracefully crushes his opponents, coupled with a unique side of him as demonstrated by his characteristic taunt.

Ultimate Technique - Air Strike

Putting both his agility and footwork to good use, Akiyama attacks with an acrobatic air strike. He launches an opponent into the air with a powerful kick, then proceeds to unleash a graceful kick combo attack. He can play around with an opponent who falls back down with more attacks that will once again send him into the air.

Shinada Tatsuo
I don't care about doing it in style; I'll win MY way!

The new protagonist Shinada's style of fighting - "Do absolutely anything it takes to win" - Is different to that of the other characters. If he has a weapon he will naturally put it to use, and he has a wide variety of techniques, that are by no means graceful, used to recklessly wrestle enemies when he fights bare-handed.

Bare-Hand Fighting

Shinada, the former baseball player, has both power and the ability to judge the exact moment to take advantage of opponent's weakness. If Shinada gets hold of an enemy, he can attack consecutively without ever releasing him. He can unleash a consecutive series of attacks - He can smash an opponent into a wall, then ram into him, then smash him into the ground. After that, he can once again smash the opponent into the wall.

In addition, he can attack with a sliding leg sweep, which is a characteristic move of a baseball player.

Weapon Fighting

The policy of a baseball player is to handle one's gear with care. When Shinada has a weapon, its real power is shown. Shinada can use a weapon for a significantly longer time than the other characters and can attack with extraordinarily powerful strikes to bring out the maximum potential of these weapons. Among these weapons, there are some he can continue to use without ever breaking them.

On top of that, the real power of a weapon is shown by Shinada when he holds a cylindrical weapon in particular. One can clearly see that he is a slugger when he blows his enemies away with powerful swing attacks

Ultimate Technique - "My Way" Meteor Tackle

Shinada strikes opponents with a powerful tackle attack using all his strength. After grappling with enemies, he can use various attacks such as smashing enemies into a wall, smashing them into the ground, and throwing them around with all his strength. He can unleash various techniques with the press of a single button, dependent on the timing.

Crimson Ryan has received 2 thanks from: OL, Who Really Cares?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:53 pm

Heat Actions

Heat Actions, which have made battles more exciting throughout the series, have undergone a major evolution in this game. The force of these overwhelming techniques are still here, but the way they are handled is different; they no longer affect the flow of battle. There has been a drastic increase in variety of techniques - ranging from powerful attacks to comical attacks. Each character starts with techniques typifying their own battle styles, as well as gaining new heat actions from their local area.

Climax Heat
Bring out the big guns with an attack that turns the tables!

Climax Heat is a newly added aspect of battle. It is an attack which boasts a huge amount of power and can pave the way to victory in a fight. Unlike regular heat actions, this is a technique which can completely turn the tide of a battle and is used when special conditions are met. The attack is extremely flashy and the power varies with button input.

Revelations
Drastic power-up and with its own storyline!

Revelations, a popular feature of the series, are back in this game. All the protagonists, including Haruka, can learn a new technique by witnessing events around the city. Acquiring revelations has been dramatically improved with the inclusion of its own story, which one can enjoy in the same way that one would enjoy any other substory. In addition to this, the characters are now able to suddenly have revelations in battle to gain new techniques.

Crimson Ryan has received 2 thanks from: OL, ys
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby ys » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:58 pm

Yama wrote:Damn that looks good. This series has came a long way. As a Shenmue fan it still makes me a little bitter, haha.

Haha yeah. But I must say that this is about the only series nowadays that makes me long for the release of a new entry. It's not Shenmue but maybe the closest one can get. Not that I like it because of that reason but these action/adventure games (with some martial arts) are my preferred taste in gaming. I hate though that it doesn't sell that well in the West while some other crap sells boat loads. I mean, Yakuza always has a lot of content : good gameplay, stories with some effort behind them, mini games, immersive feeling due to the cities with their stores etc.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:01 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote:Image

:lol:
Stabbing at a baseball. That's pure manliness.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:24 pm

I like the fact that there is a much smoother transition between fighting and general gameplay now, at times that could really make travelling frustrating in previous titles, this game looks like it will really have a lot of content, if it doesn't make it to the west I'm going to be really pissed off at them

south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:54 pm

Battle Staging

Seemless Battle

All battles, from fights with random guys on the street to boss fights, now utilise a seemless system. The game now goes straight into battle directly, with no break in the flow at all, from an event leading to battle or an incident on the streets. Even storyline boss battles flow directly from story to battle and you can enjoy the greatest abundance of scenarios ever seen in the series.

The fundamentals have been upgraded

The reaction towards an enemy's or protagonist's actions have evolved; there will be enemies who run away in reaction to one of your powerful techniques, and there will be enemies who rouse themselves. Also, enemies will do things like team up on you, or call for more companions. The variety in battle has been dramatically improved. There are enemies beyond imagination and a battle scale never before seen in the series

Dance Battle

Haruka competes in dance battles as part of her training for Princess League. There are dancers waiting for an opponent to compete with in various places around Soutenbori, to whom you can issue a dance battle challenge by talking to them. Each dancer has their own genre speciality. The genres of music are hip-Hop, house, idol, jazz and rock.

"Dance Battle" System

This is a rhythm game in which you are required to time button presses with the corresponding buttons that stream along the four frames arranged on the screen (Above, Below, Left, Right). The frames can be moved freely by the player and you get a successful input when the selected frame and button timing match up, which directly brings out a flashy action from the character. There is a "Judging" component which reflects the audience appraisal of the dancer. Judging is determined by the content of the dance and a dancer who receives negative appraisal will feel great pressure and lose health. When all health is lost, you cannot continue the dance battle and are defeated.

Turn the tables with "Dance Heat"

Heat actions can be used in Haruka's dance battles, featuring both showy and cute techniques. Like with the other characters, when the heat gauge reaches a certain amount, you can use a heat technique at any time you like. You can select which dance heat actions Haruka can use before a battle. They exhibit great effectiveness that can completely turn things around for you when in an unfavourable situation.

Improving "Power of Expression"

When she wins a dance battle, one of Haruka's "Power of Expression" idol abilities can be improved. "Power of Expression" is essential for victory in the Princess League.

Crimson Ryan has received 2 thanks from: OL, ys
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby ys » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:07 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote:The reaction towards an enemy's or protagonist's actions have evolved; there will be enemies who run away in reaction to one of your powerful techniques, and there will be enemies who rouse themselves.

This was already present though in the fourth (third also maybe?). But it was just temporary, maybe they now run away from battle altogether. Anyway, it doesn't matter, this is the game that I look forward to most of all. It looks amazing and the new additions seem cool. Hell, just seeing those screenshots from Osaka almost makes me giddy :P

ys has received a thanks from: OL
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming