QTE Champ! [XBLI]

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

QTE Champ! [XBLI]

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:43 am

Someones a Shenmue fan. Its a XBL Indie game

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7FpdLGrQ64[/youtube]

I actually put a Shenmue comment on his vid and he deleted it! :lol: Well he just lost my 80MSP.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: mseifullah
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Re: QTE Champ! [XBLI]

Postby south carmain » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:57 am

I remember this from the Shenmue arcade games. Great stuff.

is this your comment?

also it seems he reused the sounds from shenmue
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:19 am

I tried a different one he deleted my first comment which was a more obvious you ripped off Shenmue comment. Maybe he failed to realize i ment the shemue version was great stuff.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Spokane » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:12 pm

I don't see the resemblance to the Shenmue version.

I'm just fucking with you, it's plain as day.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby mseifullah » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:16 am

Hi,

I'm the creator of QTE Champ on XBLIG. I was googling around to see what the general feedback was and found my way here (I've visited the site plenty of times, just never the forums). The first thing I want to do is thank you for finding my game and sharing it with everyone else. The second thing is to tell you that the gameplay video on YouTube that you linked to wasn't uploaded by me so I had no hand in deleting any comments and I'm sorry yours was deleted. I support whatever people have to say about the game positive or negative because all thoughtful feedback is equally valid in my book.

Okay, with that said, let me give a quick blurb about why QTE Champ exists. The game is very obviously Shenmue's QTE Excite 2 arcade game -- and that's exactly what was intended! Back when I had my Dreamcast, I was addicted to both the QTE games in the arcade and for the longest time I wished there was a stand-alone version so that I could play them without starting Shenmue, walking to the arcade, and spending my in-game money. After years of wanting it, I finally just went ahead and made it myself. My hope was that this would bring other fans of the original mini-game like me out from hiding :-)

Every comment that I've seen on the YouTube video so far seems pretty positive and it makes me happy that the game clicked with the intended audience. Also, don't worry about purchasing the full game because I'm going to give you a download code for it. Just PM me so that I at least know this post was seen and read and I'll sent it to you. I also added you on Xbox Live.

Again, thanks for sharing the game with everyone. If you all have any questions let me know.

mseifullah
Hamworks

Edit: Went back and fixed tyops and grammar mistakes -- I originally wrote this post on a tablet.

mseifullah
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: QTE Champ

Postby Sailors? » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:29 am

Ok I have a question. Do you have the rights to make this game? Like what procedure did you go through to obtain the sounds from the Shenmue game, otherwise you must be infringing on some copyright laws.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby south carmain » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:40 am

Sailors? wrote:Ok I have a question. Do you have the rights to make this game? Like what procedure did you go through to obtain the sounds from the Shenmue game, otherwise you must be infringing on some copyright laws.

copyright laws for games are extremely vague, they mostly cover the code, unless if he ripped the sound effects I don't think he is infringing anything
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Sailors? » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:53 am

^ The sound effects sound exactly like the ones in game. (Button cues, presses, failed presses.)
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:09 am

yeah I noticed but it's higher quality so I'm guessing he made them himself
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Spokane » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:51 pm

It's not like the sounds are copyrighted anyway, we are talking about beeps and boops here. I think it'd be a bit ridiculous if beeps and boops were copyrighted.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Sailors? » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:17 pm

Not really since a sound designer would of gone to the trouble to having made the sounds themselves. (Not that it's difficult to make such simple beeps and boops as you put it, but it's definitely their work.) I'm not exactly sure how sound design copyright works, I'm sure I'll find out more in Uni next year since I'm doing a sound design module. Maybe the designer has made these sounds himself and done a perfect job of recreating them, I'll wait to see if he replies.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mseifullah » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:29 pm

Sailors? wrote:Ok I have a question. Do you have the rights to make this game? Like what procedure did you go through to obtain the sounds from the Shenmue game, otherwise you must be infringing on some copyright laws.

As far as having the rights to make the game, nothing like that was required to make QTE Champ -- the concept and style sensibilities aren't under any kind of restrictions. The audio for the beep, success, and failure sounds aren't copyrighted, but they were recreated anyway from scratch by me using a program called LSDJ (a chiptune sequencer for gameboy) and Audacity (an open source audio editor). The original music for QTE Excite 2, which is copyrighted, isn't used in QTE Champ.

I kind of consider QTE Champ to be an enhanced version in a few ways: It's finally a stand-alone game(!), the button prompts are truly random as opposed to a fixed sequence (if you search the forums, there's a thread where someone even wrote out the sequence for Shenmue II on Xbox), there are multiple "skill" levels to choose from that offer some significant variations on the formula, it uses even more types of buttons prompts than the original, it has a progress bar so that you can see how far in you are, and there's a top 3 high scores as opposed to just one.

Ask any other questions you have. Apologies if I don't manage to answer in a timely manner. I'll be back home in a couple of hours.

Edit: I'm back home now. I'll be checking the thread regularly for the rest of the day/night. Let me know if you have anymore questions. I'd be happy to answer them. Also, I've got about 3 download codes to give away. So just PM if you want one.
Last edited by mseifullah on Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mseifullah
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Sailors? » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:38 pm

Then well done and I hope the game gains some good attention.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:09 pm

Spokane wrote:It's not like the sounds are copyrighted anyway, we are talking about beeps and boops here. I think it'd be a bit ridiculous if beeps and boops were copyrighted.

That arrow in the CT games? Sega has that copyrighted so you cant have one look like it.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby mseifullah » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:26 pm

Sailors? wrote:Then well done and I hope the game gains some good attention.

Thanks. It's threads like this and people like yourself and Who Really Cares who are helping.

It's you guys (and myself of course) who were my intended audience when I set out to make the game. Most people that haven't played the original don't tend to like it. So I'm glad that it found its way to the forums here.
mseifullah
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Next

Return to Shenmue