Metal Gear series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Metal Gear series

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:17 am

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes has been revealed by series creator Hideo Kojima.

The franchise boss unveiled the new title during an event marking the 25th anniversary of the Metal Gear series.

Ground Zeroes runs in the new Fox Engine. Twitter reports from the event state that real-time footage of the game was shown in action, leaving many in the audience suitably impressed.

"Well other people are talking about it so... next Metal Gear shown, and it looks F***ing HOT," one user wrote.

"Snake crawled, avoiding searchlights, killed guard, rode jeep, called in helicopter for evac," said another. "Sounds like Metal Gear, but the scale & atmosphere... Wow."

The demo was reportedly running on PC at current-gen specs, according to a third person in the audience.

The section ended with the player being airlifted to safety in a helicopter playing Ride of the Valkyries, Famitsu added.

Kojima also used the event to confirm a Metal Gear Solid film, to be produced by Marvel producer Avi Arad for Columbia Pictures.

Metal Gear Solid: Social Ops, a mobile game for GREE was also shown.

Hideo Kojima is set to speak in public again at the Eurogamer Expo next month. We're very excited.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... s-revealed

Eagle-eyed fans have pegged the below images as being of Solid Snake mentor Big Boss, whose 1970s exploits were chronicled in previous Metal Gear Solid installments.

You can just about make out the strap of his eye-patch and the Militaires Sans Frontières logo on his arm.

Hideo Kojima previously stated he'd like to return to the character for "Metal Gear Solid 5", and had ideas for a game involving the World War Two Normandy landings.

"Metal Gear Solid 4 wrapped up in 2008, and the dev team took post-project time off right after that," Kojima said last year. "But, of course, we were in a situation where we had to start planning for MGS5. So I started coming up with several ideas.

"I had several ideas for a game featuring The Boss and the Cobra Unit during the invasion of Normandy. I then handed these plans over to the team so they could take over and make the game."

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:25 am

Big Boss again? Nothing like retreading the same ground, Kojima.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:50 am

Well at least it isn't Solid Snake, as most were crying about before.
I think this sounds pretty cool myself. Again, I'd like to see something different from Kojima, but I'm not going to complain either way as long as the games he does come out with are still quality.
And the little blurb makes it sound like he's not really the director anyway. He had ideas, and handed them off to his team. That sounds more like he's a producer than anything else, so he could always have something else he's working on as well.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:50 am

Anyone remember the MGS4 teaser trailer?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Yukupo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:43 pm

^I seem to remember a teaser trailer with Snake trying to hide and stuff was falling down with the tagline No Place to Hide. Is that what you're referring to?

Anyway, the setting of MGS5 doesn't sound like a bad idea. I just wanted them to let the series end. Hopefully it's still stealth based. There was a time where I would be really excited about this. Now I just feel skeptical. I guess I've had too many of my favorite Japanese series ruined/changed/cancelled/etc.
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:00 pm

Yukupo wrote:^I seem to remember a teaser trailer with Snake trying to hide and stuff was falling down with the tagline No Place to Hide. Is that what you're referring to?

Anyway, the setting of MGS5 doesn't sound like a bad idea. I just wanted them to let the series end. Hopefully it's still stealth based. There was a time where I would be really excited about this. Now I just feel skeptical. I guess I've had too many of my favorite Japanese series ruined/changed/cancelled/etc.

That's the one. There was a joke where Snake was dressed as Sam Fisher sneaking in the dark. Funny that..

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: OL
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:52 pm

Yukupo wrote:Anyway, the setting of MGS5 doesn't sound like a bad idea. I just wanted them to let the series end.

Konami just don't have a choice. It's either make money or get in shit and put the company in trouble financially.

I honestly don't know why it bothers people just stick to the games in the series you love and enjoy them for what they are.

Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:00 pm

What bothers me is that Kojima seems to be backpedaling...there's nothing fresh about this game, it sounds like MGS3: Less Linear Edition. At least with Rising, we're getting to not only play as Raiden again (waaaay overdue), but we also play as a ninja character, something the fans have wanted ever since Grey Fox in MGS1. This, on the other hand, just sounds exactly like MGS3 and Peace Walker combined into one game. Really smacks of laziness.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:09 pm

I think it's just the way I view things. I'm able to watch just the first 3 Indiana Jones movies and not bother with the 4th. It's not something that annoys me I don't see the point in getting annoyed. Should I ever get bored of MGS or some other series I'll just stop and should I go back I'll just play the games I like.

Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:47 pm

That's the thing though, I think I'll really like Rising, this one though looks like a carbon copy of what's come before. I'm just a bit disappointed since I used to think Kojima made each Metal Gear quite distinctive from one another, look at how different MGS1 (Alaska, underground bunkers, industrial settings, modern), MGS2 (Big Shell, oil rig, massive boat to explore, Arsenal Gear, slightly futuristic) and MGS3 (Jungle, enemy bases, 70s era) all are from one another.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:39 pm

Kojima also used the event to confirm a Metal Gear Solid film, to be produced by Marvel producer Avi Arad for Columbia Pictures.

I wish them luck with this one.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:46 pm

I love stealth games and have no idea why I haven't got into Thief or MGS...

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby mue 26 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:59 pm

Not very much info to go on right now, "snake crawls, kills people, rides jeep, ect". I am assuming it will be less linear than previous entries though, which is good. Snake looks more look Sam Fisher than ever before! This isn't project ogre though, surely not?

Right now I'm not really excited, but not really disappointed as I accepted long ago that more MGS being announced was an inevitability. I would have liked to see some Project Ogre or something else new first though, Koj!
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:28 am

Henry Spencer wrote:I'm just a bit disappointed since I used to think Kojima made each Metal Gear quite distinctive from one another, look at how different MGS1 (Alaska, underground bunkers, industrial settings, modern), MGS2 (Big Shell, oil rig, massive boat to explore, Arsenal Gear, slightly futuristic) and MGS3 (Jungle, enemy bases, 70s era) all are from one another.

I think, for the most part, that still applies. Peace Walker was just a re-tread of MGS3 territory with new mechanics to play around with, sure, but I think MGS4 certainly had its own identity. Maybe not in such obvious terms as being able to say "tanker/base/jungle", but it definitely felt very different from its predecessors, in the same way each of them felt different as they came out.
I think it's a little early to be saying that this one won't be distinctive, considering that we haven't actually seen footage from it yet. The one pic of Big Boss isn't much to go on. The information that he kills guys, rides a jeep, and crawls around could have basically been applied to any of the previous games as well.

OL has received a thanks from: Tuffty
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:29 am

MGS is old tired and needs and wants to die. Let MGR be the new face
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming