DMC [Reboot]

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Devil May Cry series

Postby mue 26 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:45 pm

I was more referring to what they were doing with the environment, and that boss fight. At least it was different.

The whole "social and political commentary" thing is just meh. Sounds like another desperate attempt at making the game "edgy". DMC really doesn't need it, and it will just be so weak that it might as well not even be there in the first place. If I want political satire I'm not going to play DMC for it lol. It's also kinda funny that a game which is such a clear victim of the times, and ripe for satire itself (with its "edgy" bummy looking character's, and cringe worthy swearing to look "cool") is attempting to mock anyone else.

Aside from that, it looks pretty slick but just not very appealing to me. I'm not really angry or bothered about it's existence though, it may have DMC on the box and use characters with same name, but it's a completely new game and doesn't tarnish the good memories I had with the old ones. Besides, it sort of felt like the series peaked with 3 and wasn't really going anywhere, anyway. I don't think Capcom in it's current form could legitimately challenge Bayonetta and the other Platinum games which now rule supreme over the genre. Platinum seem to be the the only one's who still have that magic touch with it.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: OL
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Dorian » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:12 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YacesJMYinM[/youtube]
Scripted like hell and with a little bit of god-awful platforming just like Enslaved. The art direction is generic and reminds me of MTV clips.Technically, the graphics are your typical Unreal Engine meh. This is not Devil May Cry.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Postby Kenny » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:05 pm

I don't like the political thing either. That's really unnecessary. The boss fight also reminds me of the awful final boss from DMC2.

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby south carmain » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:25 pm

that gameplay video made me claustrophobic, looks like it's going to be pretty linear
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:26 pm

I rather liked Enslaved but this still looks pretty poopy

Bluecast has received a thanks from: OL
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:00 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuoUfyMUQTc[/youtube]

Not trying to beat a dead horse but this is a non biased view and states a few good points why the new Dante does not work.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Kenny » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:47 am

I don't agree with that. Plus the guy is clearly biased and nitpicky, he even admits "he probably wouldn't mind if it wasn't done in a disrespectful way". Meaning he's only judging it in context of the old DMC series, not on its own.

The only thing he really has a point about is the Bill O'Reilly/Anonymous thing, which i'll give Ninja Theory the benefit of a doubt with and hope it'll work in context. I took the time to look at the cutscenes for this game and I quite like the new Dante and the new things they're doing.

Two other things I have issues with is the gameplay, which doesn't look very gripping compared to similar games in its genre, and Dante's new VA who sounds sleepy and choppy with his line delivery (they should've worked harder with this guy or got a similar sounding guy to handle it).
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:05 am

My love for DMC aside the gameplay looks average. Bad design and the vid is correct in the lines are poorly written and trying too hard. Anyone and I mean anyone or hell even a WWE writer can do better than a fuck you every single line as the one liner. This Dante does not come off as cool but just a douchebag. Very unlikable douchebag. Worse than Kratos. There are times I liked reboots better than the original. This is pandering bad writing and average gameplay. Not that the game itself will be bad but the character is the writing is and the whole thing was not even needed.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Kenny » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:20 am

I disagree, the lines they revealed so far are pretty cool. When he punches out the bouncer and writes his "name" on the list, I laughed out loud both times I saw it. Problem is really the delivery, which can make a good script crappy. But people are too biased against it to really give it constructive criticism. I even read someone complaining about Dante wielding different weapons despite the fact he's been doing it since the original game.

And if they're pandering to anyone, it's to the whiny fans who they should've never catered to begin with. I like this so-called douchey new Dante almost as much as the original based on what little they released. The new dynamic between him and the new Virgil looks interesting.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:43 am

It's lazy writing when the best wit they can come up with is fuck you no fuck you your mother is a whore. Yeah....it's juvenile. I almost expect bathroom humor..wait they did where the baseball bat was showing how long his cock is. The doorman thing is an old cliche seen in countless films. Original Dante could deliver lines and rarely swore. Even Nero was more witty than this and he had the wit of a dull brass door knob.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Thief » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:00 am

Gunna have to agree with Ryudo on this one. I never really got into the Devil May Cry series, but from what I've seen from the reboot, I don't really want to.

It looks very - dare I say it?! - lame.

Thief has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, Dorian
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Bluecast wrote: It's lazy writing when the best wit they can come up with is fuck you no fuck you your mother is a whore. Yeah....it's juvenile. I almost expect bathroom humor..wait they did where the baseball bat was showing how long his cock is. The doorman thing is an old cliche seen in countless films. Original Dante could deliver lines and rarely swore. Even Nero was more witty than this and he had the wit of a dull brass door knob.

We're pretty much going in circles, but i'm judging it on its own merits. Not on what was done before or what's cliché, just if it works for that particular product. I think the original DMC was the best one and been wanting to play it again for some time.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:25 pm

I have yet to get DMC2 but have DMC 1,3,4. Personally enjoyed 4 the most. Also I was only trying to say they used to have clever writing without resulting to bad one liners you would here in WWE and a character who sounds like he is from WWE. Dull and about as deep as a paper cut and just as annoying.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Kenny » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:44 pm

2 is the worst one, hands down. There was so much awful I couldn't believe it.

Never played 3 and what little I played of 4 I wasn't impressed. It felt like the exact same game.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Dorian » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:10 pm

Kenny wrote:I think the original DMC was the best one and been wanting to play it again for some time.

Kenny wrote:Never played 3 and what little I played of 4 I wasn't impressed.

This just doesn't add up, but okay. I never played Heavy Rain, but I still know it's shit. Then again, you can 'play' HR on YT. DMC3? Not so much. Technically speaking, that's the best slasher on PS2. A vast improvement over DMC1, although I'm guessing you just don't care about the gameplay and graphics and that you prefer the atmosphere, script and setting of DMC1.
Dorian
Banned
Banned

PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming