Shenmue in CryEngine

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Shenmue in CryEngine

Postby Peter » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:47 pm

Have you finished Shenmue 3 yet Wude? Been waiting patiently, almost 10 years like.......
User avatar
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III
 
Joined: February 2004
Location: Belfast
PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Re: Shenmue in CryEngine

Postby south carmain » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:49 pm

@dorian nah you started talking about engines in your first comment which made no sense at all then shifted the conversation to modeling and when I explained there isn't anything impressive about that either you started saying it's spiritual, you're just shifting between arguments because you don't want to admit you have no idea about what you're talking about
User avatar
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: February 2012
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: Shenmue in CryEngine

Postby wude » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:51 pm

Peter wrote:Have you finished Shenmue 3 yet Wude? Been waiting patiently, almost 10 years like.......

Not yet, too busy browsing the dojo :lol:

wude has received a thanks from: Peter
User avatar
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: February 2008
Location: Ryuuseigai
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Re: Shenmue in CryEngine

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:52 pm

Dorian vs SC

SC: Dorian's saying you're more a designer than an artist, and textures are more on the artistic side of things.

Dorian: Yeah, SC's talking from the viewpoint of a designer, but you don't actually know whether or not he's good with textures. Your opinion's based more on his philospohy than his skills.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: south carmain
User avatar
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III
 
Joined: January 2005
Location: Manchester, innit!
XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Re: Shenmue in CryEngine

Postby south carmain » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:55 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Dorian vs SC

SC: Dorian's saying you're more a designer than an artist, and textures are more on the artistic side of things.

Dorian: Yeah, SC's talking from the viewpoint of a designer, but you don't actually know whether or not he's good with textures. Your opinion's based more on his philospohy than his skills.

that's what I thought but when I said that the models themselves aren't that impressive and it's the textures and artistic direction that made it what it was he got all flustered which just makes me believe that he doesn't actually understand what I'm talking about
User avatar
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: February 2012
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: Shenmue in CryEngine

Postby Dorian » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:57 pm

south carmain wrote: @dorian nah you started talking about engines in your first comment which made no sense at all then shifted the conversation to modeling and when I explained there isn't anything impressive about that either you started saying it's spiritual, you're just shifting between arguments because you don't want to admit you have no idea about what you're talking about

It made perfect sense. I said that (most) modern 3D engines are irritating me as hell because of modern 3D techniques being (in most cases) unpleasant to my eyes and that I would prefer Shemue 3 on the original engine. It's an idiosyncrasy.

When I talked about the modelling in Shenmue, I was all along talking about it from the art perspective, which you idiotically shifted to a pathetically shallow discussion about technicals. It's people like you that make generic PC games that are buried under the sands of time because that's how "far" shallow people can get their "vision".
Dorian
Banned
Banned
 
Joined: August 2007
Location: Poland
PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Re: Shenmue in CryEngine

Postby south carmain » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:00 pm

Dorian wrote:
south carmain wrote: @dorian nah you started talking about engines in your first comment which made no sense at all then shifted the conversation to modeling and when I explained there isn't anything impressive about that either you started saying it's spiritual, you're just shifting between arguments because you don't want to admit you have no idea about what you're talking about

It made perfect sense. I said that modern 3D engines are irritating me as hell because of modern 3D techniques being unpleasant to my eyes and that I would prefer Shemue 3 on the original engine. It's an idiosyncrasy.

not really as you said the paper models were related to the engine which is not true at all, it's related to the texturing, as for the lighting that can be customised and so can the rendering, "modern day engines" doesn't make sense at all because you can make an engine what you want by customising it

as for what you said after read what I replied to mittz
User avatar
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: February 2012
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: Shenmue in CryEngine

Postby Peter » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:01 pm

:agrue:
User avatar
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III
 
Joined: February 2004
Location: Belfast
PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Re: Shenmue in CryEngine

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:07 pm

Dorian wrote:When I talked about the modelling in Shenmue, I was all along talking about it from the art perspective, which you idiotically shifted to a pathetically shallow discussion about technicals. It's people like you that make generic PC games that are buried under the sands of time because that's how "far" shallow people can get their "vision".



Pretty damn ignorant that man. First off, not every game is designed with the intention of being an artistic masterpiece. In a lot of cases, time and budget restrictions mean that the main focus is - and should be - the gameplay. Everything else follows.

And besides this, "people like [SC]" are there for the technicals. That's their job. Pointing the finger at these guys doesn't make sense, because what you deem as the qualities of a shallow game is actually the fault of either the lead designer, or the guys who do the textures. The 3D modellers are brought in to do just that - create 3D models.

You've blatantly got rather limited knowledge on the whole process of making a video game, and you're just a boring version of KiBa who injects little to no comedic element into any post.

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, south carmain
User avatar
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III
 
Joined: January 2005
Location: Manchester, innit!
XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Re: Shenmue in CryEngine

Postby Dorian » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:10 pm

south carmain wrote:not really as you said the paper models were related to the engine which is not true at all, it's related to the texturing, as for the lighting that can be customised and so can the rendering, "modern day engines" doesn't make sense at all because you can make an engine what you want by customising it

as for what you said after read what I replied to mittz

It is related to far more than texturing, it comes as a product of the whole engine, and it's partially connected with how modern games handle physics because I don't like the general look of modern 3D, which means that I also don't like how its handled in motion. You are too deficient mentally to understand idiosyncrasies of other people and all you can do about them is to call them 'stupid', which is the best example of how much of a boorish character you are.

"Making the engine what you want" means making a proprietary engine because all of that generic shit available on the market always produces similarly looking game, no matter how much the devs strive to make them look unique. UE3 makes me sick. That's why Shenmue 3 would need its own engine, but since that would cost too much, I just want to see it on the original engine.

@MiTT3NZ: Ignorant? Read your own posts once in a while. You are the last person here to talk about ignorance. My views can seem like total shit to you and it won't bother me since the way you tried to refute my claims is entirely biased because you totally ignore the fact that south acts like a prima ballerina assoluta of every possible aspect of video game designing.
Dorian
Banned
Banned
 
Joined: August 2007
Location: Poland
PSN: Takehaniyasubiko
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: stuff

Re: Shenmue in CryEngine

Postby south carmain » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:19 pm

Dorian wrote:
south carmain wrote:not really as you said the paper models were related to the engine which is not true at all, it's related to the texturing, as for the lighting that can be customised and so can the rendering, "modern day engines" doesn't make sense at all because you can make an engine what you want by customising it

as for what you said after read what I replied to mittz

It is related to far more than texturing, it comes as a product of the whole engine, and it's partially connected with how modern games handle physics because I don't like the general look of modern 3D, which means that I also don't like how they its handled in motion. You are too deficient mentally to understand idiosyncrasies of other people and all you can do about them is to call them 'stupid', which is the best example of how much of a boorish character you are.

"Making the engine what you want" means making a proprietary engine because all of that generic shit available on the market always produces similarly looking game, no matter how much the devs strive to make them look unique. UE3 makes me sick. That's why Shenmue 3 would need its own engine, but since that would cost too much, I just want to see it on the original engine.

again this doesn't make sense because the possibilities are unlimited in game design, especially by today standards, an engine does what you tell it to do, if you tell it to use lighting in a certain manner then it will do it in a certain manner, same for rendering and so on, you are only limited by hardware which can do anything the dreamcast can and much more

so basically what you are saying is it's the art style, yes I agreed with this when I said the 3d models weren't important and it was the texturing (which is the art) that was, the 3d modeling is just cubes and spheres in most cases, then you link everything in a manner that is illogical and place extra importance on the engine which is nothing more than what the designer wants it to be. therefore it's the artistic director and the artists that made the game what it is, you can say it's spiritual or whatever but when you have hundreds of people working on something it relies more on technicalities to make it work

but anyway at this point it seems like you have lost yourself as you keep on shifting between technicalities and spiritual as it suits you and telling me what I already said then arguing some more

@MiTT3NZ: Ignorant? Read your own posts once in a while. You are the last person here to talk about ignorance. My views can seem like total shit to you and it won't bother me since the way you tried to refute my claims is entirely biased because you totally ignore the fact that south acts like a prima ballerina assoluta of every possible aspect of video game designing.

nah he is just down to earth and in touch with reality, I don't claim to know everything, I started this conversation off as an explanation of how shenmue works and you couldn't handle the fact that someone else is telling you about something, the fact that I said it's thanks to the artistic directions and texturers that it's so great and you argued against that saying it was that proves this
Last edited by south carmain on Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: February 2012
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: Shenmue in CryEngine

Postby Bluecast » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:19 pm

Me and SC have had differences and I don't know all he is talking about. At least he can keep a cool head. Then again like the T shirt said that dorian needs "I'm not arguing just explaining why I'm right"
Last edited by Bluecast on Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: south carmain
User avatar
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned
 
Joined: August 2003
PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: Shenmue in CryEngine

Postby south carmain » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:23 pm

Bluecast wrote: Me and SC had had differences and I don't know all he is talking about. At least he can keep a cool head. Then again like the T shirt said that dorian needs "I'm not arguing just explaining why I'm right"

thanks, I do tend to argue a lot and sometimes go over the top but I end up apologising if I did, like with neo matrix

south carmain has received a thanks from: Bluecast
User avatar
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: February 2012
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: Shenmue in CryEngine

Postby Peter » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:25 pm

Dorian wrote:My views can seem like total shit to you and it won't bother me since the way you tried to refute my claims is entirely biased because you totally ignore the fact that south acts like a prima ballerina assoluta of every possible aspect of video game designing.



But you ignore the fact that you act like a prima ballerina assoluta of every possible aspect of a video game period. Look at your posts since you have returned here. The MGS topic, the Final Fantasy topic for example. When someone debates with you, you belittle them with what i can only call an attempt at trying to appear as more intellectual than that person, going as far to post quotes from philosophers which vaguely relate to some point you are trying to make, but because they are so vague, they can easily be flipped around to go against what you are saying. Try and be a bit more user friendly around here, because to be honest, your getting on like a 13 year old emo kid who has listened to way too much Radiohead.

Peter has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, south carmain
User avatar
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III
 
Joined: February 2004
Location: Belfast
PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Re: Shenmue in CryEngine

Postby Bluecast » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:26 pm

Peter wrote:
Dorian wrote:My views can seem like total shit to you and it won't bother me since the way you tried to refute my claims is entirely biased because you totally ignore the fact that south acts like a prima ballerina assoluta of every possible aspect of video game designing.



But you ignore the fact that you act like a prima ballerina assoluta of every possible aspect of a video game period. Look at your posts since you have returned here. The MGS topic, the Final Fantasy topic for example. When someone debates with you, you belittle them with what i can only call an attempt at trying to appear as more intellectual than that person, going as far to post quotes from philosophers which vaguely relate to some point you are trying to make, but because they are so vague, they can easily be flipped around to go against what you are saying. Try and be a bit more user friendly around here, because to be honest, your getting on like a 13 year old emo kid who has listened to way too much Radiohead.


Riku Rose wrote: I was watching South Park last night and this made me think of someone here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSYhLn4RCI[/youtube]

Bluecast has received a thanks from: south carmain
User avatar
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned
 
Joined: August 2003
PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000-
ShenmueDojo.net