The Elder Scrolls

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: The Elder Scrolls

Postby Tuffty » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:42 am

A fan made a battle sequence and filmed it like a proper movie. It's pretty epic, albeit, filled with Dawnguard spoilers if you don't want that.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7dGsF_Og9E[/youtube]

Tuffty has received a thanks from: Who Really Cares?
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:06 am

Bethesda’s Dawnguard DLC for Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has been out for Xbox for close to a month already but the future of the add-on on PS3′s future is in doubt due to a technical problem on the console. The save game frame rate glitch on PS3 is what many consider could be the problem.

On the Bethesda forums, Gstaff addressed the no-show on PS3, stating:

“It’s been a few weeks, and we wanted to make sure everyone knows where we’re at with Dawnguard. Skyrim is a massive and dynamic game that requires a lot of resources, and things get much more complex when you’re talking about sizeable content like Dawnguard. We have tried a number of things, but none of them solve the issue enough to make Dawnguard good for everyone.

“The PS3 is a powerful system, and we’re working hard to deliver the content you guys want. Dawnguard is obviously not the only DLC we’ve been working on either, so the issues of adding content get even more complicated. This is not a problem we’re positive we can solve, but we are working together with Sony to try to bring you this content.

“We wish we had a more definitive answer right now. We understand the frustration when the same content is not available on all platforms. When we have an update, we will certainly let you know. We deeply appreciate all the time and support you have given us, and we’ll keep doing our best to return that.”

With the newly announced Hearthfire add-on on the horizon, if this issue isn’t sorted out, it could mean that this dlc will share Dawnguard’s fate on PS3.

http://www.brokenjoysticks.net/2012/08/ ... on-issues/
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:00 am

Sony better learn from this gen. PSone was a breeze to develop for. PS2 was a bitch. PS3 is a bitch. PS4 better be a breeze to develop for or else they will be seriously hurting. I don't think they will have the blu ray advantage next gen. Even Wii U has HD DVD type dics with up to 75GB of disc space.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Tuffty » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:44 pm

Finally found out how to get married and I was wondering at first who to pick. The prospecting trader at Whiterun? The farmer at Windhelm? But in the end, it could only be one choice. I chose...Lydia. My housecarl. My swordmaiden. She's been with me for the majority of the journey. She's climbed the highest mountains, slain the fiercest dragons and wields an axe better than anyone I know. Skyrim weddings are fast too, holy crap. You think a Vegas wedding is short, try gettng married in Riften, you'll be married in less than a minute. I took a photo of the happy couple.

*sniff* So beautiful. Look at that loving expression on her face. That's a look that says, "Do you want me to carry those dragon scales for you?"

Tuffty has received 3 thanks from: OL, St. Elmo's Fire, Who Really Cares?
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:45 pm

Y'know, they must have done that in a patch, 'cos she used to be unavailable. ;-)

Anyone getting the housebuild download tomorrow? I am, 'cos my character has tons of materials kicking about and so much money with nothing to spend on. I want to make myself a palace, just to let the world know that the hardest guy (or Khajiit) stays there. I may build an arena outside, just to heighten that effect.

Can't help but think it's gonna be really basic and template-ish and that I'll be disappointed, though...:-(
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:39 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blEvrr__nO8[/youtube]

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: Tuffty
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:45 pm

St. Elmo's Fire wrote:Can't help but think it's gonna be really basic and template-ish and that I'll be disappointed, though...:-(

This. Glad it was only a few hundred MS Points....
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:48 pm

That just reminded me i was going to say its getting average reviews and you can get better mods if you have it on PC.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:59 pm

360. Did think about getting in on PC instead, for that reason, but I had Oblivion on the PC, yet still ended up badgering my mate for a shot of his 360 version instead. :???:

On this second playthrough, I've noticed some more bugs this time, so having the console commands to "cheat" and fix them would have been good too. But meh, I'll live. ;-)
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:22 am

The Skyrim Hearthfire downloadable content is now available to PC owners through Steam, Bethesda has announced.

On Steam it costs £3.49. Hearthfire lets you buy your own land and build your own home with all mod cons.

While the news is sure to please PC gamers, PlayStation 3 owners will no doubt be losing hope that the Skyrim DLC will ever launch on Sony's console.

Skyrim's first DLC add-on, Dawnguard, is yet to launch on PS3 over three months after it released on Xbox 360, and Hearthfire is absent, too. Last night Bethesda marketing chief Pete Hines once again took to Twitter to say there was still no information on DLC for PS3.

"We're still on it," he said. "Will share update when I have one."

It appears the problem has to do with the performance of the downloadable content on the PS3. The PS3 version of Skyrim often runs into trouble, with owners reporting troublesome crashes and terrible frame rates.

"The performance isn't good enough in all cases," Hines responded when asked for an explanation for the PS3 DLC delay. "For most folks, it'd be fine. For some, it wouldn't be."

Then, after an angry Twitter follower told Bethesda to stop blaming Sony and the PS3 for Skyrim's technical failings: "We've never blamed anyone or anything. It's our problem, and it's on us to solve it."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... -lose-hope
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Martin » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:46 am

Bluecast wrote: Sony better learn from this gen. PSone was a breeze to develop for. PS2 was a bitch. PS3 is a bitch. PS4 better be a breeze to develop for or else they will be seriously hurting. I don't think they will have the blu ray advantage next gen. Even Wii U has HD DVD type dics with up to 75GB of disc space.

Meh, it's something that's a problem with Bethesda's engine. It's probably down to the performance issues with PS3 Skyrim as a whole. After some hours of playing, you'd start getting lag. After more hours, it became horrible. They spent 6 months patching it up to be playable, and to their credit, it is now playable. But still, it's blatantly down to that. You can tell that they've preened through all aspects of performance (the game even looks a bit different to the launch version) to get it running smoothly.

I reckon the problem is that If they introduce these expansions on PS3, all that ridiculously-careful fine-tuning and optimisation will be shot all to shit, and the dreaded 'Rimlag' would return, causing outrage among those who bought the DLC for PS3. They already had a tough enough time waiting half a year for the game itself to be playable!

Oblivion and the Fallout games had the same issue. Obviously it means there's a certain weakness with the PS3 hardware that isn't present on the 360 and PC, but still. That's no excuse. Given that the PS3 audience is large, they should have given that audience more priority than they evidently did, considering that the previous Elder Scrolls and also the Fallout games essentially exhibited 'Rimlag'. It's just that Skyrim is more complex, so the lag is worse.

It's a problem that first showed in Oblivion, and they've had years to find a better way of making their games work on PS3. That they didn't bother to fix a known-issue with their engine and released a game which became unplayable after a few hours speaks just as much to the bad decision-making at Bethesda as it does the shittyness of the PS3 hardware.

It's all bollocks, anyway. The most impressive looking games this gen are actually on PS3. They might be out-numbered by the multi-plats which have an extra pixel on 360, but owning both consoles I can tell you that there's certain games on PS3 which totally lay waste to the best of 360. Graphics-wise, anyway.

Also, I don't think the PS2's complexity exactly harmed it. Best console ever.
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:03 am

Is the PS3 version THAT much worse? I had some truly epic juddering in certain places on the 360 version. Oddly enough, deleting all of my redundant saves made it a lot less bad. It still shouldn't have had to come to that though, since a number of other bugs meant that those saves would potentially be a whole hell of a lot less redundant if a bug struck at a really wrong time...
Last edited by St. Elmo's Fire on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:22 am

Yep and its the engine from what I've read and they knew this sort of problem could happen back when making Fallout.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:14 am

Hey look, More DLC PS3 owners probably wont get

http://www.brokenjoysticks.net/2012/10/ ... on-mounts/
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:36 am

Martin's sig is great because it sums up how I feel after reading most of his posts.

It not that you're stupid, or even wrong, but theres stuff in there that makes me feel like you've got no idea what you're really talking about.

(Also a note, getting stuff running on ps2 was actually pretty easy, getting it to run well was hard)

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Spokane
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming