Learning Japanese

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Learning Japanese

Postby Mr. Frozen » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:36 pm

Work will take me to Japan towards the end of this year. Whenever I go to a new country I try to learn their language to at least a conversational level. My job provides rosetta stone, but that program sucks for learning a language you are not already familiar with. Japanese is proving to be a bit hard for me (the grammar and sentence organization is a huge hinterance to me), but I know a few of you guys speak Japanese as well so I am wondering if there are any pointers you can give me to learn the language quickly.

I have been trying to speaking to japanese people (well, pretty much just japanese ladies Image) here in hawaii to help me with my language, but I am not learning as fast as I would like to. However, I did learn how to read and write pretty quickly by sending text messaged (my kanji is still horrible, though). Any other tips to help me out, guys?
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Re: Learning Japanese

Postby nzk0 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:56 pm

I have always found that watching TV and Movies in the given language helps tremendously. Then again I watched Anime all my life and the only word I learned from that was くそ!! lol it did help me a lot when learning Spanish and other languages.
nzk0
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: nzk0
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Sleeping Dogs

Postby NeoShredder » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:10 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZEA54VJEdE[/youtube]
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Axm » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:58 am

Grats on the move Frozen. I didnt even know you were in Hawaii, thought you lived in the south or something.
Well moving to Japan and living there for nearly 3 years was the best thing that ever happened to me. Obviously as I got married there and will be moving back next year to live again, this time permanently.
Came back to finish school, save/make money and give my wife the opportunity to live where im from for a few years before we have kids in Japan.

What I did to prepare before moving was take some college courses. I was a college student anyways so I got credits, win win. But I had a Japanese teacher from Tokyo who was really good and taught pronunciation firstly and most importantly. After you gain solid solid ground in that it really set things up for success in the future. What good is learning all these words and phrases if you cant even say them properly? So I literally got myself a sound recorder and taped myself saying syllables, words and phrases repeatedly, listened back to them and made my mental corrections from there.
When it came to Hiragana and Katakana, I wrote them down literally hundreds of times each. Kanji admittedly I have alot of trouble with and just get help from my wife when needed. That shit is no joke. One day I will get off my ass and apply myself.

Honestly you will probably skate by alot of times without having to read much Japanese. They cater to english speakers to such a high degree that you get used to it. And if you dont understand something, someone can help you.
Ultimately this could be your down fall in continued advanced learning as its easy to get by. Especially in my case as I always had a Japanese girlfriend or friend with me.

When it comes to living there though is when you'll start learning and remembering atleast one new word a day based on daily life. And if you dont learn a new word that day, get one and practice it. "kyo no kotoba" "Today's word".
In my case with my wife, im constantly bouncing questions off her still to this day and probably will for the rest of my life. Just as she does with me in English.
I have pretty much not kept up with my traditional study in years though. It's all conversational at this point. Mostly with her, my few Japanese friends in San Diego and my parents in law over skype.
I recommend listening to as much Japanese as possible. And not the crazy impractical Anime that fanboy's get hung up on. Watch Japanese movies, preferably light hearted comedy-drama's because they talk slow and usually speak in a non-accented Tokyo vocabulary.
I have alot of recommendations if you need them.

You're on the right track talking to Japanese people when possible, they usually dont mind and you'll need the practice as you already know.

Im really happy for you man. Hope it all goes well.

Giant wall of text hits you for 9001
Last edited by Axm on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Axm has received a thanks from: Kenny
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby HappyKillmore » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:28 pm

I did Japanese Evening classes a few years back, and all i can remember is how to say "Over there is a pen". Money well spent.

HappyKillmore has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
HappyKillmore
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: big_g_mcfc
XBL: DerK0mmissar
Steam: kingkong001
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: With Myself

Postby beedle » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:25 pm

Learning Japanese, I think I'm learning Japanese, I really think so.

beedle has received 2 thanks from: DockeN, OL
beedle
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Mr. Frozen » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:04 pm

Axm wrote: Grats on the move Frozen. I didnt even know you were in Hawaii, thought you lived in the south or something.
Well moving to Japan and living there for nearly 3 years was the best thing that ever happened to me. Obviously as I got married there and will be moving back next year to live again, this time permanently.
Came back to finish school, save/make money and give my wife the opportunity to live where im from for a few years before we have kids in Japan.

What I did to prepare before moving was take some college courses. I was a college student anyways so I got credits, win win. But I had a Japanese teacher from Tokyo who was really good and taught pronunciation firstly and most importantly. After you gain solid solid ground in that it really set things up for success in the future. What good is learning all these words and phrases if you cant even say them properly? So I literally got myself a sound recorder and taped myself saying syllables, words and phrases repeatedly, listened back to them and made my mental corrections from there.
When it came to Hiragana and Katakana, I wrote them down literally hundreds of times each. Kanji admittedly I have alot of trouble with and just get help from my wife when needed. That shit is no joke. One day I will get off my ass and apply myself.

Honestly you will probably skate by alot of times without having to read much Japanese. They cater to english speakers to such a high degree that you get used to it. And if you dont understand something, someone can help you.
Ultimately this could be your down fall in continued advanced learning as its easy to get by. Especially in my case as I always had a Japanese girlfriend or friend with me.

When it comes to living there though is when you'll start learning and remembering atleast one new word a day based on daily life. And if you dont learn a new word that day, get one and practice it. "kyo no kotoba" "Today's word".
In my case with my wife, im constantly bouncing questions off her still to this day and probably will for the rest of my life. Just as she does with me in English.
I have pretty much not kept up with my traditional study in years though. It's all conversational at this point. Mostly with her, my few Japanese friends in San Diego and my parents in law over skype.
I recommend listening to as much Japanese as possible. And not the crazy impractical Anime that fanboy's get hung up on. Watch Japanese movies, preferably light hearted comedy-drama's because they talk slow and usually speak in a non-accented Tokyo vocabulary.
I have alot of recommendations if you need them.

You're on the right track talking to Japanese people when possible, they usually dont mind and you'll need the practice as you already know.

Im really happy for you man. Hope it all goes well.

Giant wall of text hits you for 9001

I cant take college classes right now, but I was thinking of enrolling in some japanese courses when I am able to. I already have all my general education credits, but I'm not paying for it so why not? An actual teacher does seem like the best way to go, but like I said I can't really do that right now.

Recording myself on a tape recorder is a great idea, I am definitely going to have to do that. Part of the reason I am going to take those classes, I think my pronunciation is horrible and need someone to hit me with a stick until I get it right.
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spokane » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:47 pm

HappyKillmore wrote: I did Japanese Evening classes a few years back, and all i can remember is how to say "Over there is a pen". Money well spent.

Not to mention Pen in Japanese is the same as it is in English. :lol: :lol:
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby streetwaves » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:48 pm

To be honest, I've never learned or retained anything learned in a language class. That's just me, but I always find trying to learn a language with 30 other people who can't pronounce the words either is counterproductive.

The Pimsleur stuff works for me pretty well, on the other hand. And I think MindSnacks is supposed to release a Japanese app which is great for memorization.
streetwaves
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Yakuza 0

Postby Rakim » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:53 pm

Whats with all the Beat Takeshi fans showing up on here? Welcome aboard streetwaves!
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Snake Tortoise » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:34 pm

I'm studying Korean. I think setting yourself more bite-sized goals than simply 'learn Korean/Japanese' is a good idea. Study yourself for a while, take an evening class and then have the goal of passing a test at the end of it. It's good to have something like that on the horizon, and it'll be rewarding if you pass your test with a good mark
Snake Tortoise
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby RyoHazuki84 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:45 am

https://www.erin.ne.jp/en/

i strognly recommend this site
RyoHazuki84
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades