Is this a good PC?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Is this a good PC?

Postby RiGz » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:35 am

----
Last edited by RiGz on Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiGz
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Is this a good PC?

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:25 pm

Get yourself a Radeon HD 7850 and you've got an excellent set up there. However, if you're lookin for a future-proof gaming system, it's all about planning and preperation. You need to look at the games that are out now, check their recommended requirements, and meet those.

Then, look at upcoming games that you want, and check their requirements (if they haven't been released yet, don't worry. Basically, what you wanna do is focus on upgrading your graphics card, so constantly save up for that, then every couple of years buy it and a shitloada games you wanna play that's compatible with it instead of constantly upgrading just to keep up with releases.

It really is the best way to go, otherwise you're just throwing away money. Obviously, you're gonna need to upgrade your CPU, RAM, etc., and keep on top of maintanence, but upgrading all other aspects won't really be necessary for a few years at least.

I'd invest in some Arctic Silver thermal compound, rubbing alcohol, and a can of compressed air, as they're the best tools to use when performing hardware maintenence.

Either way though, as much as I love my own less-powerful set up, I'd still choose console gaming over PC gaming any day. PCs are good n'all, but they end up being more expensive than consoles, and all you're really doing is paying for better-looking graphics and the ability to mod certain games. It really isn't worth the money you pay for it unless you make money out of it yourself. That's just my opinion anyway, but it's defo a good set up.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby mrslig100 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:44 pm

Is this a good PC?

Be honest, you posted this to show it off :P
its a fantastic PC and personally I recommend a ATI Radeon HD 5870. I would never recommend 2 8 gig sticks in a 4 slot PC, I would normally recommend 4x4 GB sticks but your motherboard seems OK I should point out that an 8 core processor is never a good idea unless you plan to stick your PC in a freezer coz they get VERY hot, I switched to a quad core because of this and I even disabled the 4th core to keep it cool, your gonna want a very powerful cooling system if you want to use all 8 cores. Its a great PC, I cant help but feel that that is a very mainstream case but what would I know about pc fashion :P
The case I use is this one Image But as you can see it just proves how little knowledge I have in PC fashion I have but I like it and I got it for a fiver so their you go.
Personally I would recommend this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vision-Midi-Tower-Gaming-Computer-PC-Case-Black-12cm-Front-Blue-LED-Fan-/150748012154?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopComponents_RL&hash=item2319481e7a When I built my friend a gaming PC he wanted a octa-core processor and this case had good ventilation and kept it cool along with a load of massive blue bad ass looking cooling fans. Well good luck on building your PC and let me know how it turns out.
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby mrslig100 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:47 pm

I must say though I like the look of MiTT3NZ's Radeon HD 7850. It would be an Idea getting your hands on one of those.
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby RiGz » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:37 pm

----
RiGz

Postby mrslig100 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:46 pm

That things good, lets hope your power supply likes it.
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonikku » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:28 pm

If I had $1k for a computer I'd probably go with an Ivy Bridge cpu, or even a Sandy Bridge. AMD's processors don't have the same value for the money they used to. Unless you're spending thousands on the ultimate machine, I probably would not bother with 16 gigs of ram. I have 4 gigs of DDR3 ram and under full load none of my games and Windows Vista combined ever creeps over 3. You'll be fine with 8 gigs, take the money you would have spent on 16 and put that towards your card. I just recently scrounged up the cash I needed to fix my machine and got a Radeon 7770 for $95 after rebate and I'm quite satisfied with it running all my games in high or ultra. A 7850 as mittens suggested would be all you'll need for years unless you're pushing more than one monitor or are gaming in 2560x1600.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:58 pm

16GB is barely enough to load all leagues on FM if set to a large database. Different programs need different things.

Anyway, I'd go to Amazon, Aria or Micro Direct for the 7850. I'd always advise you not to go to eBay to build an expensive computer. Cheap arse ones for parents or pensioners is fine, but if you're building your ultimate PC, you ideally want everything brand new from a trusted source. The extra money is paying for that sense of security.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby RiGz » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:07 pm

---
RiGz

Postby silent killer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:18 pm

You ever thought about investing in liquid cooling? It's not as difficult as it used to be. Thermaltake and Corsair make some decent systems. If you're going to be building a serious gaming rig, It'd be a good idea to look into it.

silent killer has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: arcane devices
Currently playing: Cross Code

Postby mrslig100 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:26 pm

16 gigs ram is fine, I used to render massive scenes on Maya on 3 gigs of ram and things worked out for me. liquid cooling is a cool idea, impractical long term in my opinion but a good idea but again, I use 16 gigs on my main PC it will do fine. I dont know what PC finds 16 gigs of ram in this ear
Barley enough :P
We are talking about ram not HDD :PPPPP
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mrslig100 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:26 pm

In this era not ear :P useless spellcheck. I need moar sleep
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:44 pm

Never known anyone to double-post so much...!
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:49 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Never known anyone to double-post so much...!

:sad:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:42 pm

Sonikku wrote: If I had $1k for a computer I'd probably go with an Ivy Bridge cpu, or even a Sandy Bridge. AMD's processors don't have the same value for the money they used to. Unless you're spending thousands on the ultimate machine, I probably would not bother with 16 gigs of ram. I have 4 gigs of DDR3 ram and under full load none of my games and Windows Vista combined ever creeps over 3. You'll be fine with 8 gigs, take the money you would have spent on 16 and put that towards your card. I just recently scrounged up the cash I needed to fix my machine and got a Radeon 7770 for $95 after rebate and I'm quite satisfied with it running all my games in high or ultra. A 7850 as mittens suggested would be all you'll need for years unless you're pushing more than one monitor or are gaming in 2560x1600.

The logic here is that you could buy 2 AMD processors for the price of 1 Intel one in the i5 series, and the AMD will have a six core (like the one I am getting for my gaming PC, and this is why I ultimately decided on the AMD CPU) , so even if the AMD one goes down and its out of warranty, or whatever the case may be, its still cheaper and more efficient to get the AMD CPU. if your Intel fries and its out of warranty, having fun forking out all that money over again.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Next

Return to Off Topic