This Gen is in the twilight so it's time to reflect

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

This Gen is in the twilight so it's time to reflect

Postby Bluecast » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:05 am

Granted some of us will play 360 PS3 a couple years into the successors launches. Wii U is just over a month away and the first system for Next Gen. So while the gen is not really over and may not be for some of us for a couple more years. However next gen starts next month

Do you have some fave moments you like to share. A memory. Some fave games that became your faves period.

I will share some later if the topic carries on. Just that it's 6 am and my fingers hurt. So need to rest
:P
Last edited by Bluecast on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Birty
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: This Gen is in the twilight so it's time to reflect

Postby Birty » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:06 pm

Bluecast wrote: Granted some of us will play 360 PS3 a couple years into the successors launches. Wii U is just over a month away and the first system for Next Gen. So while the gen is not really over and may not be for some of us for a couple more years.

Do you have some fave moments you like to share. A memory. Some fave games that became your faves period.

I will share some later if the topic carries on. Just that it's 6 am and my fingers hurt. So need to rest
:P

This gen has actually got me into different styles of games that I wouldn't normally play. Oblivion and Skyrim stand out as games that I wouldn't normally play, but I have found myself putting most hours into. I was introduced to the Assassins Creed series and again this is now one of my new favourites. Even though many weren't keen on the shift in gameplay I really enjoyed Resident Evil 5 too, and can't wait for number 6. It's deffo been my most "successful" console having my 360, deffo enjoyed a lot of varied titles on it.
Birty
Old School
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: TWH Birty2k

Postby shengoro86 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:09 pm

My favorite moment for this generation was when S2X was included in the xbox 360 bc update.

My other favorite moments where the Halo 3 midnight release, I skipped the whole line because I knew the guy at gamestop, no one noticed.

Also, I gained experience in reversing some systems during the whole home brewing on next gen.

When I flashed my 360, that's when I had the most fun.

shengoro86 has received a thanks from: ThyDarkAngel
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Bluecast » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:00 am

I began this gen working at Gamestop and did both Wii & PS3 launches. As much as I bad mouth GS the first couple months I worked with some laid back people. Really lax ad the people were fun. The assistant manager didn't give a shit in a good way. Nothing phased the guy and was fun to talk to and a huge collector. So some good memories of those first 2 months.

Getting my Wii in May 2007. The day I got it my boss held the last one for me in the back. I got it with Super Paper Mario and that was my best day off ever.

Of course getting a 360 from Perfect Chaos counts since it was a current gen system. Really love the thing despite every day I worry about it not RROD on me. Seeing Sonic in Generations and I mean the classic Sonic was an awesome moment for me. I was just as amazed now as I would have been back then. I could name many emotions though many games I loved this gen.

The games that I for sure enjoyed most this gen.

Sonic Colors
The Last Story
Xenoblade
The World Ends With You
Sonic Generations
Darksiders
Darksiders II

Not that those are my only faves as I have several I loved this gen.
These are just the ones I pop in most and enjoy the most.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Thief » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:16 pm

This gen ultimately turned me away from gaming, at least modern gaming. My favorite console this generation was the Wii... and even that only has a couple games that I really enjoyed. First party games for the wii were not the best, with Other M, Skyward Sword, and Epic Yarn being... not so great. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is completely uninspired and lacking of any "heart". It's fun but it also sucks ass at the same time (if that makes sense). I'm slightly looking forward to the Wii-U and Pikmin 3 is exciting. I just hope the Wii-U turns out to be great and I can try to forget that this generation ever happened.

Some of my favorite series have gone on to disappoint me this gen. Final Fantasy 13, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resident Evil 5... and not nearly enough new IP's that really kept my interest.

This is a poorly constructed post.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KiBa » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:51 am

Same here. This gen deviated so far from what I like that I radically reoriented myself to prefer retro gaming and indie games almost exclusively.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:57 am

Initially I felt the same. Then looked around and found tons and tons of hidden gems this gen. Even some not so hidden. Tho I agree my interest of Retro spiked.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby OL » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:30 am

Still too early for me to start pretending that this gen is in its "twilight."
This year and early next year, I've still got at least 18 new releases (off the top of my head) that I'm excited about getting on current consoles.
We've still got a ways to go. I'm not going to act like we're at the end of anything just yet.

And just for the record, this gen has been awesome. A lot of us have started getting into that "old fogey" phase of life where nothing new is ever as good as when we were kids. I've experienced it too, but I've gotten past it pretty quickly. There's still tons of quality out there.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:08 am

^ Maybe you should read the opening post.

Also since next gen begins next month. This gen had a long run of nearly 8 years. Longer than any other gen before.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:24 am

OL wrote: Still too early for me to start pretending that this gen is in its "twilight.".

Kinda sounds more like you're pretending its not. Maybe they make games for PS3/360 another year or two, its not going to go a whole lot longer then that. whether you see November 18th as the end for this gen or not, fact is new hardware is on the horizon, and with profits and sales falling across the board, so are new ideas.

These are the "end of days" for this gen.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:27 am

Minus back in the Dreamcast days when everyone was very ready. Mainly because it was such a massive leap. Same with the 32bit era. But back in 2005 I remember many did not want that gen to end. They thought visually games still looked great and still were releasing great games. Took a year but people starting to embrace the next gen. I have yet to get a PS3 and still plan to get it and enjoy it. Even if the PS4 is out by then. Won't stop me from enjoying the PS3. Your console won;t just stop playing games. Many will be reluctant at first but give in soon give in as usual.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:53 am

PS2's still gettin the odd release here or there, so I can see the 360 being supported for another five years at least. This gen's defo been my favourite so far though. Just too much quality. Even the things peeps like to moan about (EA, achievements, online multiplayer, etc.) have to admit that for everything negative, there's a positive that sits nicely alongside of it. For once, a generation has been balanced. Everyone has been catered too. Nothing has been left behind, nothing has been ignored.

So, whilst I agree with OL that this gen's far from over, I already know that I'll be looking back on it fondly. In fact, fuck that, I won't be lookin back at all, because it's given us so much that we'll still be buyin and playin these games well into our thirties (which is kind of a given for Peter n Ryudo anyway... old cunts...)
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby OL » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:08 am

Bluecast wrote: ^ Maybe you should read the opening post.

I did. And like I said, I disagree with the "twilight" part. You can qualify it with other things all you want, but that still implies something pretty specific.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:
OL wrote: Still too early for me to start pretending that this gen is in its "twilight.".

Kinda sounds more like you're pretending its not. Maybe they make games for PS3/360 another year or two, its not going to go a whole lot longer then that.

"A year or two" is a pretty damn long time. So make condescending remarks about denial all you like, you just said it yourself: we've got a ways to go.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Martin » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:29 am

For me, the 'next-generation' begins with the PS4 and Durango, and the current one will only then start coming to an end. The Wii U is to the PS3 what the Wii was to the PS2 - slightly better graphics, new controls. The new generation does not begin with the Wii U. It doesn't even really begin with the PS4/Durango. It begins when consumers show more interest in the new stuff than the old stuff, and stop buying the old stuff.

I don't know anyone chomping at the bit to get a Wii U, nor to upgrade from their current consoles at all, for that matter. I imagine that for the next two years, it'll be Wii U, PS3 and 360 battling it out with mainly very similar games.

Let's have this topic when it really is time.

Martin has received 4 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, OL, ThyDarkAngel, Who Really Cares?
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby Peter » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:19 am

I couldnt even give a rats ass on the next generation. The only thing thats had a profound effect on me from this generation is the complete uncertainty for the future of how games are marketed and distributed. I am more interested to see the change in general marketing and distribution of software given the global economy and the rolling out of steam/cloud/DLC. The things that are making me say "wow" at the minute is when i went into town the other day to buy Fifa only to find that Gamestop was not only shut down, but a brand new coffee shop was in its place, open and trading..... GAMESTOP WAS THERE 3 WEEKS AGO!!!!
So when i went round to Game, they tried their hardest to not let me buy just Fifa, they also pushed the limited edition branded controller, download points and pre order Black Ops 2 so i could get a free poster, to whit i declined. On my way out the door, they offered me trade in value for my umbrella since it had started raining, and they probanly would have gotten it on the shelf the second i left the shop, for 3 times the price.

All i am getting at is the only lasting effect i will remember from this generation, is the complete transformation in regards to the changing of the way we buy games. These are the last of the days when you walk down to the local Game and bought a disc. There may always be an option to do that, but as fewer and fewer of these shops become available, then the inconvenience really wont be worth it.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Next

Return to General Gaming