What movie are you watching right now?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby Rakim » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:43 am

In the Cut
It was very fun and worth watching if not solely to see Patrice Oneal play a gay pimp:

The story was definitely lacking, but the awesomeness of Mark Ruffalo and visual skill of Jane Campion make up for it IMO.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:24 am

Damn Sky anytime having all Bonds.

Working my way through them over the last few weeks and just finished The Man with the Golden Gun.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Kenny » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:28 am

Great film! Loved the way it was shot and it had a pretty good story too. The story behind the film is just as fascinating as the movie itself, basically the film was lost for many years and the only good print they found...was almost completely incinerated. Had they been there a week later, it'd be gone forever.

The director, Ted Kotcheff, was there at the end and beginning of the show for a Q&A which helped explain alot of things about the film. His other films are First Blood and Weekend at Bernies, btw. He also had this great story about a young italian american director who just kept lavishing praises throughout the entire movie behind him at Cannes and when he asked a friend about him he was told the guy "made one film and it bombed, don't bother with him". That man was Martin Scorsese and still loves the film to this day.

He also got PO'd when asked if this film was influenced by Vietnam. The director when on a total rant about it. The guy who asked the question came out and later regretted mentioning it. Man, it's amazing to go to this little arthouse theater.

Kenny has received a thanks from: KiBa
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Kenny » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:50 pm

Paranormal Activity 4.

I liked it but not as much as the other three. If you didn't like this series since the first, you're obviously not gonna like this one so don't even bother. But for fans, it's more the same. I thought it had a pretty good ending but they rushed it. I missed the post credits scene which is launching a new series in the PA world, in mexico somewhere.

Also these events are going to be explained in PA5, which is desperate milking. They're probably not gonna reveal much and save it for PA6 and 7. It already feels like the well is drying, they should just quit while they're ahead like SAW did (well, eventually).
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:18 pm

Gotta have the halloween time cash-in movies.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Calshot » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:32 pm

The Mist was on TV. I enjoyed it.

I haven't seen a horror movie since I watched Trollhunter around a year ago. Probably going to watch a few more to get into the Halloween spirit. Any suggestions?

Calshot has received a thanks from: KiBa
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby KiBa » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:20 am

Nah, sorry, Cal. No movies, really... If you're into HBO's Tales From The Crypt, as I am, I'd say my favorite episode by far and away is Television Terror. It's probably on YouTube.

I'm watching the original Vampire Hunter D tonight. Don't know anything about it, but the art looks good. Dorian told me about it.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Kenny » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:13 am

I saw it today. On a scale of artsy and fartsy, I give it a fartsy.

It's beautiful to look at and the actors they picked were great. The concept is great too, a happy couple's relationship takes a turn for the worst when the guy makes a terrible lapse in judgement in a life threatening situation. It sets the next half of the film pretty well.

Biggest thing that pretty much kills the movie is that there's a whole lotta nothing in between. There are some good scenic shots and moments with the couple. I honestly don't mind scenes that are meant to be purely visual and up to the imagination, there just weren't enough of those moments. Sometimes it feels like they just stick a camera there and randomly film whatever comes up.

The shift in tone from "happy" to "sad and dark" was pretty amazing after the shifting point. I just wish there was more to it to make it a fuller experience. And the ending was WAY WAY WAY too abrupt as well. If they would've cut out alot of the unnecessary drawn out scenes, it would've left room to write in a much better conclusion. Keeping it open ended but "satisfying" at the same time, and by that I mean they reach the end of their journey yet the status of their relationship is now unknown. Would've been a beautiful conclusion.

Anyway, i'd say its worth a look if you're into the Avant-garde scene and don't mind staring at alot of nothing. If you're not, then run away as fast as possible.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:43 pm

Don't believe the Skyfall hype.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:50 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote: Don't believe the Skyfall hype.

I take it you think it sucks?

I think I might do the movie sig thing again cause these recent films i've been seeing are so awesome, they have to be promoted.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:56 am

Prometheus

I see Cap lent his Firefly boat to them.

Then again Whedon did Alien 4 and is a fan and in the pilot of Firefly had a Easter egg logo and the base. So a mutual tribute?
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:58 pm

Kenny wrote:
Crimson Ryan wrote: Don't believe the Skyfall hype.

I take it you think it sucks?

It's long and boring to put it simply. Can't really talk about it in too much detail without spoiling. The fact people are saying this is the best in the entire 50 year period of making these films is a joke.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:22 pm

The Living Daylights - Would have liked to have seen more Timothy Dalton Bonds and seeing as he only confirmed he was done as Bond in 94 he must have been planned for Goldeneye and i would have liked to have seen him and Sean Bean.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Kenny » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:32 pm

It was good but the story in some parts didn't make sense. I loved the surfing bits though, I really miss the waves.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:41 pm

Just watched the latest Planet of the Apes movie. It was ok but it really dragged on with the whole origin story. I would have liked to see some more action. The film had lots of potential but it seemed to just keep building and then falling quite flat.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic