Shenmue Excluded From Sonic Allstar Racing Transformed

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Shenmue Excluded From Sonic Allstar Racing Transformed

Postby Axm » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:09 am

It's actually pretty crazy how they marketed Ryo and his forklift in the first game so much with the limited model toy competition, featured video's and XBL marketplace items, to now just drop him entirely from the game.
I mean how many of us bought that Ryo Jacket in the XBL market cause of this game? Like friggen EVERYONE in my friends list ive seen has worn it at some point! Friends who arent on the Dojo and random gamers I come across that say they like Shenmue to me cause they see my gamertag tell me all the time they got that jacket item. lol.. really now sega that item had to have been the #1 purchase of those clothing items. Not to mention the forklift DLC. Did Sega not check the numbers on these jacket sales? Im super curious now lol.. shit just got stupid.

Axm has received a thanks from: KiBa
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Spokane » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:26 pm

^ What's your gamertag?
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Axm » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:46 pm

ShenmueAxm85
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Spokane » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:33 pm

Yeah that's pretty glaring. :lol: Glad it invokes conversation.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Wanderin' » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:12 am

Haven't posted since all that HD tomfoolery earlier in the year (still expect it to happen eventually, HD release would most likely be associated with some sort of discussion about the future of the saga if Sega has any sort of business sense anymore...) but as others have already posted, this excluded fron Allstar transformed matter does rile the emotions a bit.

As the devs (Sol, especially) have noted, this racing franchise is heavily rooted in the idea of assembling Sega's greatest IP/characters from past, present, and future into one big fan appreciation kart racing game - a Super Smash Bros of kart racing for Sega if you will. Does everyone remember how hard everyone crossed their fingers to have Ryo included in the first title and how (rightfully) proud SUMO was when they officially announced that against all opposition they had gone ahead and included one of gaming history's most misunderstood/underappreciated IP/characters based almost on nothing but their very own unbreakable passion for the series?

All I'm saying is this - SUMO's exclusion of Ryo from Transformed is - if you didn't realize it already - a HUGE blow against Shenmue support/re-emergence. Heck, Ryo's inclusion in the first All-Stars racing was one of the huge events that got the gaming world talking about Shenmue again in recent memory. For SUMO to exclude Ryo for reasons I will touch upon coming right up is another glaring example of a gaming development club either not caring enough to put the effort into revitalizing the Shenmue name or buckling under the pressure to do so.

Ryo's inclusion in the first All-Stars racing not only enticed many of us longtime Shenmue fans to anticipate, buy, and honestly enjoy the game but also impressed many other longtime, hardcore Sega fans in general who saw the inclusion of Ryo and many other Sega classic characters as an awesome reason to anticipate the game likewise. Ryo is without a doubt, definitely a Sega All-Star - has always been and always will be.

For SUMO to cite the weak excuse of 'oh, bike characters were too unbalanced' and remove Ryo just becuase he rode a bike in the first game is a slap in the face of everyone involved. If they truly believed Ryo belonged in the game and truly had passion to revitalize the image and acknowledgement of the series they would have made Ryo work in this game. They are game developers, after all, correct? It is the job of game developers to program, design, and develop concepts to work within the game design, right?

Heck, here's an idea. And it's free. And it ups the nostalgia of Shenmue even more if they had actually had the creativity to include this in Transformed. Don't like bikes? Fine. Include both Ryo and Lan Di as a racing team. Now listen carefully before questioning that duo. Default racing mode is Lan Di's black car (not a bike!). Boat mode is Lan Di's powerboat. Plane mode is Lan Di's helicopter (hell it could be Shenhua's hawk). Add to the nostalgia and fan appreciation by penning a tenuous and comedic fragile alliance between Ryo and Lan Di in their attempt to win in the racing game by having quotes/lines like: Ryo: "I will have my revenge!" Lan Di: "Just drive." etc.

TL;DR - Ryo deserves to be in Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed. Citing that bike characters didn't balance the game correctly is an excuse. Shenmue is robust enough of a series to have enough resource material to allow the SUMO developers to exercise enough game developing creativity to make Ryo work - if they were truly passionate about keeping Ryo and the Shenmue franchise alive in the game. Unless they truly aren't.

PS. Really hope Ryo gets developed as an upcoming DLC character for Dead or Alive 5. If you get pass the brand's signature superficial T&A trappings fighting game fans will find that DOA5 is the best yet and certainly an extremely solid and competent fighting game. Ryo would fit well. Having Lan Di included as well would allow all of us to enact that final dream battle that we continue to day dream about ten years and going. Although being a DOA game, wouldn't mind seeing how Team NINJA would develop a Xiuying DLC character, if you know what I'm sayin'...

Wanderin' has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Let's Get Sweaty
Wanderin'
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Bluecast » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:38 am

He might be in the 3rd.....
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby KiBa » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:03 am

Axm wrote:Did Sega not check the numbers on these jacket sales? Im super curious now lol.. shit just got stupid.

Just got stupid? They are the sole owners of a hugely popular legendary franchise, and they just sit on it. Whenever they (or usually other people) drum up interest in Shenmue (like announcing an HD release), they do nothing because they don't want to make money. They'e wholly inept as economic human beings. They've all got to be on drugs or something. Business is one area where Darwinism can provide a complete explanation. Do you know why Sega doesn't have a console right now? Because they're $ special needs.

KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby RyoFangirl » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:29 pm

There's a way to get Ryo in as DLC! You can vote for him at the Sega forums!!
Said thread is this:
http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?426663-S0L-s-Challenge-Stage-1-Attempt

I am just trying to gather as many Shenmue fans as possible...
You can also vote for other 2 characters.
This is the first poll, and there will be a second with the winners of the first.
LET'S TRY TO GET RYO IN THE GAME!!

RyoFangirl has received 3 thanks from: KiBa, Peter, Yokosuka Martian
RyoFangirl
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Peter » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:38 pm

Thanks!! Got a sticky up now, and hopefully we can get Ryo enough votes! :D
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby KiBa » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:05 pm

"So we did the George Lucas approach"

- Gareth Wilson, Sumo Digital Lead Designer

](*,)
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Rakim » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:14 pm

Ryudo wrote: He might be in the 3rd.....

Ryo doesn't do too well with third installments.

Rakim has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, Let's Get Sweaty
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Previous

Return to Shenmue