The Dark Knight Rises

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Postby Sonikku » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:30 pm

Kenny wrote: Yeah, I completely agree. Alfred telling Bruce his weird little fantasy in the beginning about seeing him with a new wife and identity was particularly headache inducing when I saw it IMAX. If it's present in the home edition, they fucked up big time.

I mean either shoot the whole damn thing in IMAX or don't bother at all. Nolan should've shot a short movie in the format if he really wanted to use it for practice.

Imax could not be used for dialogue scenes as the voices had to be dubbed over.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:03 pm

Well it already uses IMAX for a fair few dialogue scenes.

Also i know Nolan gets complaints from some on here for having music in just about every scene and while Ive never minded i was happy he had none playing during the first Batman/Bane fight in this.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Kenny » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:27 pm

Not for the dialogue scenes, though that's news to me, but I was referring to the ping-pong scenes when Alfred is telling Bruce about his weird fantasy then we cut to Alfred in Italy looking over to a young couple hoping its Bruce.

When I saw it in IMAX, it went from big to small to big again. The non-dialogue on screen scenes in Italy were IMAX and the Batcave scenes were standard. Gave me a big headache, it happened a couple of other times too.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Sonikku » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:52 pm

I hope the home video version has a "Bane mode" that has subtitles every time bane speaks, but not when everyone else does. Maybe it's different when it's a perfectly calibrated Imax theater or 5.1 home theater set up, but I really struggled to understand him in 2.0 stereo.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Axm » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:48 pm

Just got the BD. Watching it tonight.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:55 am

So Selena is now bi.....I like it :P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby KiBa » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:00 am

She's too scrawy, though. And not at all seductive. She has all the feline grace and imperious charisma of... well... Mia Thermopolis.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:37 am

You prefer Michelle Pfeiffer ?
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:39 am

I'd like both.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby KiBa » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:49 am

Yokosuka Martian wrote: You prefer Michelle Pfeiffer ?

Yes, I think so, but even she was too nerdy, too blonde, and Burton's origin story was bizarre. I envision Cat Woman as practically perfect in every way. Just being around her should feel like you're in the presence of a goddess. Beautiful, a powerful clever mind, dominating without acting masculine, emphatically no corny feminist tripe. A graceful thief, like quiet magic that always enchants by its subtlety and genius. No goofy gymnastics. That's how I would have done her.... :shock:

And the character needs to be more exotic than an artsy city girl seemingly written for a sitcom. Cat Woman is supposed to be rich, living in a dark world of secret treasure, amazing science, and rare artifacts.

I guess my main problem with the Nolan series is that it totally removed the pulp aspects of Batman, which is the best part, in my opinion. I wouldn't mind a realistic Batman, but then, don't have Batman be the only guy with a fantastic costume. Just put him in a generic ninja suit with a Bat-like theme and lots of illusion, as was done so well in Batman Begins. Instead, it seemed to me that the series got progressively less magical, while the Batman character got progressively more superheroish, and the result in TDKR was, in my opinion, a little bizarre, especially when you ultimately get this guy in a bat suit fighting in broad daylight against a very generic backdrop. Contrast this with the excellent Scarecrow fear gas at the end of BB.

Ultimately, I thought and still think that the Di Caprio Riddler idea would have been a better conclusion to the series. There was a situation where you could have combined the Ra's Al-Ghul loose ends with another "weird science" genius, which is a great combo. Cat Woman, as she was written, served almost no purpose whatsoever, except to give Bruce an exit. I would have liked to see Bruce's destiny to be a bit more than moving to Italy. I wanted to see a real Lazarus Pit, and clever international detective work as Bruce, etc.

I still liked the movie. I'm just saying how I would have preferred it.
Last edited by KiBa on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:03 am

KiBa wrote:
Yokosuka Martian wrote: You prefer Michelle Pfeiffer ?

Yes, I think so, but even she was too nerdy, too blonde, and Burton's origin story was bizarre. I envision Cat Woman as practically perfect in every way. Just being around her should feel like you're in the presence of a goddess. Beautiful, a powerful clever mind, dominating without acting masculine, emphatically no corny feminist tripe. A graceful thief, like quiet magic that always enchants by its subtlety and genius. No goofy gymnastics. That's how I would have done her.... :shock:

Oh shut it the minute either one came up to ya you'd just wanna fuck em.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby KiBa » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:20 am

[edited for clarification] Well, maybe at one time or in a specific situation, like the good old marooned on an island fantasy. But Pfeiffer is elderly and married now, and I just don't get Hathaway, like some people can't get calculus. It may be a matter of needing to study more, but I just don't care to. None of the Nolan girls were Batman material, imo. Not one. Fine actresses, but not appropriate for the roles.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:28 am

I'd take 'em out to dinner first and get to know em. I' don't think like an ape.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:32 am

Was never really a fan of Hathaway till i saw pics of her while filming this but then she ruined it by cutting her hair really short and it just made her look odd.

Still would.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:37 am

Yokosuka Martian wrote: I'd take 'em out to dinner first and get to know em. I' don't think like an ape.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz04A_cgZMQ[/youtube]
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic