Culture Shock!

(Modding and other series related projects)

Culture Shock!

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:21 am

I think I've come up with I good idea, but to be sure I'll pitch it here.
In the Versus Guide books, there are "Culture Shock" sections that tell you little snippets about Japanese culture and how the differ from more western culture. I like that but I feel that it can be more complete so I'm announcing a new project that takes every single "Questionable" thing in both Shenmue games and condenses them into a large comprehensive list of Facts and history about Japan and how they relate to Shenmue. Now, even though I am kind of obsessed with Japanese culture I will need fact checkers and helpers to help complete this project. I will also need HD screen caps of certain things in the game.

Once finished I hope to release PDF, CBR, and EPUB formats to be downloaded for free online.

If anyone is interested, comment in this thread and if you have any ideas of how to improve the project please share
them!

If you would like to contribute information please do by formatting your entrees in the following order

List them in alphabetical order:
Title of entree (Make up a title for your entree):
Relevant Character:
Location in game:
If there is a source, supply the source:

Ex.

H:

Hostess Bar: See entree "Snack Bar" 「スナックバー」

--

S:

Snack Bar: A "snack bar" (スナックバー sunakku bā), or "snack" for short, refers to a kind of hostess bar, an alcohol-serving bar that employs female staff that are paid to serve and flirt with male customers. Although they do not charge an entry fee (and often have no set prices on their menus), they usually have an arbitrary (and expensive) bill or charge a set hourly fee plus a "bottle charge". Customers purchase a bottle in their own name and it is kept for future visits.

Relevant Characters: Akemi

Found at: Bar Yokosuka

Source: Text from Wikipedia

-=======-=

- ST
Last edited by ShenmueTree on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShenmueTree has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: Culture Shock!

Postby Rakim » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:07 pm

Contributing:
Japanese people all bathe in Koi ponds, hence the lack of anything resembling a shower or bathtub in the Hazuki Dojo.

Chai is a member of a human subspecies that evolved as a result of the atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The Japanese try to keep this secret within the archipelago, but that is slowly dieing with one of them having become a popular fixture on TV.

The Hazuki's live on the hill in the more secluded location of town not because of their importance or wealth, but because they were shunned by the rest of the town when they first settled in. Their association with Chinese people, who are seen by right wing Japanese in the same vein as Mexicans in the US or Poles in England, had them ridiculed during most of the 60s and 70s until racial tensions gradually died down as the Shouwa Era came to a close.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby KiBa » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:18 pm

Somebody cover the Hazuki family toilet.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:55 pm

KiBa wrote: Somebody cover the Hazuki family toilet.

I'm on it. :lol:

I'm currently creating a mock up as to how the page layout should look like.

Edit:
Okay, a mockup-concept art.

ShenmueTree has received 2 thanks from: KiBa, Rakim
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Rakim » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:48 pm

Seeing my nonsense on that picture made lol.

I'll try and lend some honest help if I can. I can aid with fact checking on the Japanese wikipedia and various nihongo sources.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:50 pm

Awesome idea! Hope it keeps on developing. I'd be willing to help in any way.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby mrslig100 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:34 pm

Come on people, lets take our Japanese culture out of the toilet, this isn't 4chan. :P
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:42 pm

Thank you for those that are interested!

The most important thing right now is to gather information about Hong Kong and Japan.
I'm thinking that for some locations we can compare real life photos to in-game photos, so if anyone has any pictures of Dobuita, Sakuragoka, Yamanose, Hong Kong, Won Chai, Kowloon, etc, that is recognizable and don't mind sharing please do so. :)

But as I said before the most important part right now is to gather the facts.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby wude » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:57 pm

Yamanose+Sakuragaoka= Midorigaoka, hazuki dojo is a temple in real life.
google maps is very useful for this stuff :)
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby ShenmueTree » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:50 am

I know... :lol:

It's just that I thought it'd be even more magnificent if we used mostly community contributed works. :D

Still Google Maps is great too.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:40 pm

Rakim wrote: Contributing:
Japanese people all bathe in Koi ponds, hence the lack of anything resembling a shower or bathtub in the Hazuki Dojo.

Chai is a member of a human subspecies that evolved as a result of the atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The Japanese try to keep this secret within the archipelago, but that is slowly dieing with one of them having become a popular fixture on TV.

The Hazuki's live on the hill in the more secluded location of town not because of their importance or wealth, but because they were shunned by the rest of the town when they first settled in. Their association with Chinese people, who are seen by right wing Japanese in the same vein as Mexicans in the US or Poles in England, had them ridiculed during most of the 60s and 70s until racial tensions gradually died down as the Shouwa Era came to a close.

Sorry for double posting but I'm planning to do some work and I'm wondering if there are sources for this info. Who is that girl?
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Rakim » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:10 pm

ShenmueTree wrote:

Sorry for double posting but I'm planning to do some work and I'm wondering if there are sources for this info. Who is that girl?

I hope you're just really dedicated to the bit because....

I pulled all that out of my ass. I thought the joke was obvious... Maybe I'm a better writer than I thought.

Also if you're still interested the girl is Kyouko Kanou of the famous 叶姉妹(kanou sisters). Merely a victim of obsessive plastic surgery and not a post-war Japanese mutant. As weird looking as they are these old broads are really funny on variety shows and I suggest watching if you're into that type of thing.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:17 pm

Everything but the Kitchen Sink.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:12 pm

Rakim wrote:
ShenmueTree wrote:

I hope you're just really dedicated to the bit because....

I pulled all that out of my ass. I thought the joke was obvious... Maybe I'm a better writer than I thought.

Also if you're still interested the girl is Kyouko Kanou of the famous 叶姉妹(kanou sisters). Merely a victim of obsessive plastic surgery and not a post-war Japanese mutant. As weird looking as they are these old broads are really funny on variety shows and I suggest watching if you're into that type of thing.

1. The source thing was a joke.
2. I really wanted to know who the girl was. :P

ShenmueTree has received a thanks from: Rakim
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Rakim » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:40 pm

Phew. Well with that being the case, this is recommended viewing:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irP00TDkKcg[/youtube]
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist