finally going to propose

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

finally going to propose

Postby dbzruler88 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:06 pm

so i've been with my girlfriend for over 3 1/2 years now and i decided it was time to lock her down for good. i do have the basic plan of how i'm going to do it, but i wouldn't mind some tips or anything from people who have done it before, i'm trying to make it as memorable for her as possible.

she goes to school 180 miles away (graduating from college in may), since valentines day is on a thursday this year, i am going to surprise her by visiting, she doesn't know i took the days off, she doesn't think i'm going up until the weekend after. so on feb 13 i am going to ask her dad for his blessing (i will need some tips on that too if anybody has done that), then the 14th i am driving there. i will already have a reservation at a fancy restaurant we love and i plan on doing it there after we eat dinner and have a couple sangrias. i have already paid off the ring so i have that out of the way.

just looking for some tips, maybe some ideas to polish the plan up a little.
Attachments
1357868419898.jpg
here is a picture of the ring if anybody wanted to see.

dbzruler88 has received a thanks from: OL
dbzruler88
Atheist Activist
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: jeremylovesanna
XBL: jeremylovesanna
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0

Re: finally going to propose

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:11 pm

Take her out for the meal and do nothing. Then when your back home and it's the last thing on her mind just say. "Oh I forgot to give this to you." BANG!

Then again you could propose at the circus that would be memorable.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: dbzruler88
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Axm » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:31 pm

Plan sounds fine. Hope it goes off well. Good luck with everything.

Axm has received a thanks from: dbzruler88
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:32 pm

G'luck!

ShenmueTree has received a thanks from: dbzruler88
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby KiBa » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:41 pm

Congratulations!

But there is one last thing you must do. Abruptly cut off all contact with her soon. When you surprise her, pretend you're desperate; you've lost your job, your left eye, the use of your right arm, and say you're homeless too, body and clothes filthy with soot and dirt (stop shaving now, by the way). Say you need money and a place to stay for a little while. At this very point, kneel and offer her a ring handmade with wire or something to make sure she really loves you for who you are inside. If she says yes, then give her the real ring, and reveal your ruse. If she says no, then she will have revealed her ruse.

KiBa has received 5 thanks from: Absentia, Let's Get Sweaty, mue 26, OL, Tuffty
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby mue 26 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:29 pm

^
Personally, I love Kiba's paranoia laced proposal scheme! Get your eye patch ready.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Axm » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:38 pm

Axm has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, mue 26
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Spokane » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:03 pm

Come on OL, give the man some advice. :P
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby OL » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:34 am

dbzruler88 wrote:just looking for some tips, maybe some ideas to polish the plan up a little.

Plans are shit.
I don't mean yours in particular. I just mean in general.
When it comes to this kind of thing, I found that the right moment is far more important. You can plan the right place, the right speech, the right situation... but in the end, none of it is actually "right" because it's all being "scripted," so to speak.

The right moment, however, is something you don't know is coming until it actually hits. But ultimately, it's worth a helluva lot more than any plan.
My advice would just be to spend time with her, do things you both enjoy, and relax. Just let the moment come when you aren't thinking of anything else in the world but the two of you. You get a big goofy smile on your face because it all simply feels right.
And then you know the moment's hit.

Of course, I could just be spouting nonsense.
I've only done it once after all.

OL has received 4 thanks from: dbzruler88, MiTT3NZ, Spokane, Tuffty
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:23 am

OL's right. Never felt more out of my element than proposing. I don't care how confident you feel about your plan, it's all gonna go to shit, so prepare yourself for some split-second improv.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Axm » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:48 pm

Since he's in abit of a time constraint with this whole surprise thing, I don't think he has the luxury to wait for the right moment on a sandy beach or swing set months later. "Scripting" it like he is, is probably the most practical way to get it done. I remember when I proposed I had a whole timeline I was working with before I was to move out of Japan. It completely changed the timing and route we took in our lives because I did it when I did. He might have some timeline here too and we don't know what his plans are. I did basically the same thing he's doing and it turned out super memorable because it's simply always a memorable moment no matter what.
So I say just try get it done, get the words out and focus on the future because ultimately thats what she's going to expect from you for now on.

Axm has received a thanks from: dbzruler88
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby dbzruler88 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:49 pm

thanks for the replies.
i am working with a bit of a timeline, she has always dropped hints that she wanted to do it before she graduates college. her sorority does a 'rose ceremony' whenever a member of her sorority takes the next step in their relationship, where they pass a rose around and let it go around a couple times and whoever had the next step come, stops the rose. she said she's always wanted to do that, and i would never want to let her miss that.
not to mention, the whole 'in the moment' thing is very helpful, we took a yacht out on lake michigan at navy pier in chicago and watched the fireworks from out on the lake. it was so amazing, i literally almost asked her that night, completely subconsciously, i had the first word coming out of my mouth, but i stopped myself, i didn't want to do it without a ring. so my timeframe came into play and that is how it got to this point.

dbzruler88 has received a thanks from: Axm
dbzruler88
Atheist Activist
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: jeremylovesanna
XBL: jeremylovesanna
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0

Postby Sonikku » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:18 pm

dbzruler88 wrote:just looking for some tips

Say the words "Yes Dear" and "I'm sorry" to yourself over and over and over again.

Get used to saying them. Then you're good to go. O:)

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Axm
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Spokane » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:41 pm

Reminds me of something I said yesterday. My parents go Chinese food and they didn't want their fortune cookies so I ate them and read off the fortunes. He misheard his fortune and asked me to read it again and I said it different this time since my mom was there too, I said "The key to success in life is listening to your wife" when it didn't say that at all. He said some smart ass comment and she got mad. :lol:

Edit: And damn, I just remembered this August will be their 25th anniversary. :shock:
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Return to Off Topic