Gaming thoughts of the day

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Postby mue 26 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:20 pm

I don't think Riku is doing anything wrong at all to be honest, as OL said , it's just a video game, if someone wants to pay over the odds for it, then that's fair game. I also see where SC is coming from too though, if someone is buying entire stocks of the game and making it nearly impossible for others to buy it just so they can sell them all at a higher price, then yeah that's very shystie (and so are those fools who "phantom" buy stuff on ebay to deliberately raise the value of certain items). But anyone who really wanted Ni No Kuni Wizard Edition at the normal price had more than enough opportunity, so as I said, if they're now willing to pay more for a fancy edition of a game (and clearly have more disposable income then me!), I'd let them.

I've done the same thing in the past. I was in a shop once, and saw two copies of MGS subsistence being sold for £15. I bought both and stuck one of them on ebay straight away for £45 (undercutting the other sellers), and it sold within minutes. Did I feel guilty? Not at all.

Riku just made a good investment, it's that simple. Sure, I'd gain respect for you if you gave it away the game for free, but I wouldn't lose respect for you if you didn't, we live in a capitalist society not a buddhist monastry, and have to play by the rules to an extent. Riku isn't being dishonest and that's the main thing to me.

All this talk of "morals" is getting way off the subject, and a it's a very contentious subject itself. Are we naturally "moral", is it human nature? It can be argued either way, but you only need to look at the different societies or different time periods to see how variable morality can be.

mue 26 has received 3 thanks from: Axm, MiTT3NZ, OL
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:29 pm

Yeah, I wasn't initially trying to get so far off topic, I was just trying to say...
mue 26 wrote:Riku just made a good investment, it's that simple. Sure, I'd gain respect for you if you gave it away the game for free, but I wouldn't lose respect for you if you didn't, we live in a capitalist society not a buddhist monastry, and have to play by the rules to an extent. Riku isn't being dishonest and that's the main thing to me.

...that.

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:40 pm

People would be really pissed if they knew how I got the money to buy them...

Also I'd love to see if the people who argue morals would sell a car to a collector even if someone else offered triple. They probably wouldn't care because its a car and not video game.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Axm
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Rakim » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:49 pm

Riku Rose wrote: People would be really pissed if they knew how I got the money to buy them...

So you pawned the wallet then?

Rakim has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Henry Spencer, OL
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:55 pm

Not attacking Riku here but the moral talk as Manny said if they are willing to do one action they will do another. A person who admitted to lying to relatives about getting mugged because he did not like a present.That's pretty low. If willing to betray a loved ones trust then they are willing to be dishonest in multiple ways.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Sonikku » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:18 pm

Ryudo wrote: Evolution. We are born with basic rights and wrongs. Only later we are taught putting kitty litter in Jimmies Sandwich is wrong. We do know however unless the kid is fucked in the head taking advantage of a person killing a person is wrong. I mean damn son if I had a bag of doorknobs made by Bubba and Forest they would still be smarter than my cat. Yet she does have a small sense of right and wrong and to here the most entertaining thing in the world is a wall.

:lol: That reminds me of a dog my mother and I used to have that would sometimes lay flat on her belly with her head on the ground and her paws over her nose in the most pathetic stance I've ever seen. I always knew when I saw that that she knew she had done something naughty. Sometimes I would come home and knew right away from her behavior that something happened, but it took some investigating at first before I knew what. :lol:

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:31 pm

I honestly never got mad at my cat. Sure she has done many things that annoyed me or messes that were gross. I just can't get mad or scold her. I remember a dog we used to own very sweet dog. Take her on a walk and did not need a leash. She would stop when you did and walk when you did. She was not trained or anything. In winter nights we had her sleep inside. Well one night my mom on her way to workj forgot to let her out at about 6 am. I wake up like at noon and see Mitzi is still inside and doing a dance. I open the door and just as she crossed over she let it all out. So she was being polite the whole time. Poor dog.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:20 pm

Riku Rose wrote: People would be really pissed if they knew how I got the money to buy them...

Oh please do tell! And make a new topic about it, whilst you are at it. I need my Riku in a farce topic fix.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:10 pm

Its all excuses to me.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:16 pm

I'd buy that for a dollar! wooooo yee haw!
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:55 pm

Ryudo wrote: Not attacking Riku.

Ryudo wrote: A person who admitted to lying to relatives about getting mugged because he did not like a present.That's pretty low. If willing to betray a loved ones trust then they are willing to be dishonest in multiple ways.

:lol: Wow.

Henry Spencer wrote:Oh please do tell! And make a new topic about it, whilst you are at it. I need my Riku in a farce topic fix.

That would be beyond stupid for me to do. I haven't had the Dojo sort out a problem for me for awhile though....

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: Its all excuses to me.

You only need to make excuses if you've done something wrong which I haven't. Some people look into stocks on how to make money but sadly that shit bores me so when I can see a way to make money through something like videogames I will.

As I said if I had sold a car for triple it's price no one would give a fuck but because it's a video game I'm as evil as Hitler.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:38 pm

Last edited by Bluecast on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby KiBa » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:51 pm

Ryudo wrote:
OL wrote: How can you say you were born with it if you've been having it drilled into your head your entire life?
The only way to make any determination about it is to look at kids before they've had it all concretely taught to them. And doing that will show you the truth: the things we consider to be "right" are things that have to be taught. There's nothing inherent about them.

Bullshit

False dichotomies. We could be born tabula rasa, but also with capacities for true higher principles that can be awakened by experience and teaching. There's no reason to suppose that the shame we feel as kids when we're called out for, say, bragging for the first time, is magically impressed by tradition. It's an awakened capacity that only makes sense once you feel it, and think about it as you get older. So, looking at kids doesn't tell us much, and trying to find common moral ground is almost impossible - not because it isn't there, but because people develop in different ways at different rates.

KiBa has received a thanks from: Yokosuka Martian
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:06 am

People whine how this gen lacks JRPG's or RPG's. This is not every RPG this gen by any means. This however is some of the best this gen and would be just as worthy as past gens if not more so. (btw as I am typing realize I forgot to put in Fallout 3) This gen may have started and end with FPS Military games being the most popular but fans of RPG's or more so JRPG's this was still a very good generation. Still is. The only tragic thing in this picture is no Final Fantasy as it has fallen far,however the creator of that series had an answer..2 in fact. Lost Odyssey & The Last Story. He even decided to make up for lack of Dragon Quest with Blue Dragon. Ni no Kuni/3D dot game heroes is a nod to the PSone/SNES era and Xenoblade and TLS keep a familiar face while mixing up the formula or just altering it in a total 180.

Anyway it was a very good gen for RPG's and while it may not be as many as PS2/PSone/SNES era the quality is still very much there.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:35 am

I think the majority of people who'd say that play stuff like Mass Effect 3 or Mugen souls. I think if you want to reach the great RPGs of this gen you need to scratch to get a bit deeper.

They spelled my name wrong and cut out a line about an RPG I'm making in the Indiecade east panels description.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming