Japanese version of this text

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Japanese version of this text

Postby Kiyuu » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:58 am

The1Ross wrote: After researching, yes it is sometimes read as ka. So it is in fact I who looks silly. I stand by my point about romanisation though.

Yes, it's true that there're some versions in Romanization. But, what I had corrected there wasn't the matter of Romanization, as I used exactly the same version. Have you listened to how Shenhua read the verse in the YouTube video? As you've finally found, "kare" should have been "ka" there, so are other words. "Tōtsu" may have confused you, but Shenhua says "totsu" with a short vowel, not with a long vowel as he spelled. It's different in hiragana, "とおつ" vs "とつ" and not the matter of Romanization here, either.

Believe me I was doing alright in Kanji reading at elementary school, though my English do (and will) have lots of problems.
Remember that there's a long way to go to master a foreign language. Roma(nization) wasn't built in a day, you know? ;-)

Kiyuu has received 2 thanks from: Bambi, Bluecast
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Rakim » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:18 am

You could have saved yourself a lot of embarrassment by listening to it being read before you bumped a 3 year old topic to show off your Genki textbook skills.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvzfA2Y65rQ[/youtube]

Rakim has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Bluecast
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Bluecast » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:28 am

That nob made a wonderful first impression :lol:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Bambi » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:09 am

Kiyuu wrote:Roma(nization) wasn't built in a day, you know? ;-)

Bambi has received 3 thanks from: Bluecast, Kiyuu, Let's Get Sweaty
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Giorgio » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:02 pm

The1Ross wrote:We all make mistakes, i may have made one myself, but it's better not to correct someone regarding a language you clearly know nothing about. It may make you look a bit silly.
The1Ross wrote:After researching, yes it is sometimes read as ka. So it is in fact I who looks silly. [...]

Yeah, you were a little bit reprehensive/damnatory, but it is a good thing that eventually you accepted your mistake (no one is perfect, as you said). Let us turn our sight in the positive part of this and let this be (I think) a learning experience:
  • "He who tells his story first makes people think he is right, until the other comes to test him."
  • "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. [...], because you will be evaluated by the same standard with which you evaluate others."

By the way, welcome to the forums! And I think you are a friend, and it seems that the games of Shenmue series are those you love , so be close to us.

Giorgio has received a thanks from: Rakim
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Bluecast » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:11 pm

Lol

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby The1Ross » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:47 am

OK,OK guys I admit my mistake. I was searching for the original text in Japanese that I'd seen in the beginning of the Japanese instruction manual, as I wanted to compare the Japanese original to the English version. I was brought here by a google search and my immediate thought was "this guy doesn't know what he's talking about, it's kare not ka, yoru no yo and there's nothing wrong with the way this guy has romanised some of the words" so I dived head first like a bull in a china shop and made myself look like an ass hole (which perhaps I am). But in my defense, even a Japanese person who had not listened to the video would read them that way and I did stand up and admit my mistake and apologise as soon as I realised what I'd done, when i could have quite easily disappeared into the interwebs never to be seen again.

Rakim, I have no interest in showing off my kanji skills, at least not to a bunch of people I've never met but you are correct about one thing; I did use the Genki textbook, a long time ago lol.

Kiyuu I apologise for an attack on your character. I should really head my own advice in future. I would still argue that if using Hepburn romanisation method for converting text, you would always transcribe kanji such as 遠つ as tootsu and 紫風 as shifuu (or perhaps even murasakifuu、I'm not too sure).

By the way, as I've never spoken to someone who can understand and has played the game in Japanese before, didn't you find the way that every non-Japanese character in the original game speaks kind of insulting? Although absolutely hilarious none the less. Especially Tom and the Chinese guy who begs for a coke every morning.
The1Ross
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Ziming » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:14 am

Mistakes come with consequences here at the dojo. Your punishment is to translate the following videos for Shenmue fans worldwide.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOI5Hj_cmCI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9sd3NtjPfY[/youtube]

Ziming has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Giorgio, Shendream
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Bluecast » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:28 am

^ I say we hand him The Voynich Manuscript. Translate or die in a fiery pit of gas from last nights burrito's

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Rakim
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Kiyuu » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:20 pm

I admire your courage to come back and admit your mistake. Welcome to the Dojo!

However, it's a shame that you still don't see my point.

The1Ross wrote:I would still argue that if using Hepburn romanisation method for converting text, you would always transcribe kanji such as 遠つ as tootsu and 紫風 as shifuu (or perhaps even murasakifuu、I'm not too sure)

Did you listen to how Shenhua recites the verse in the video? She never says "tootsu" with a long vowel, but clearly says "totsu" with a short vowel there. It's true that "遠" is usually read as "too" as in "遠い(tooi)." But, there always are some exceptions. This verse is written in a classical style and the wording is pretty different from modern writings. And, remember that we're talking about transcription here. What Shenhua says is what matters. That's how it is read, like it or not.

As for shifuu, I have no objection to your using whichever system to spell it(, though the "murasakifuu" may not be the natural Japanese). In fact, my user name "Kiyuu" has two "u"s for the long vowel, as you see. But, once again, Romanization difference is not the issue here. I just used the same system as the translator used in the previous post.

Well, it's not easy for me to explain this kind of thing in English. So, forgive me if my English doesn't sound correct to you.

Kiyuu has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Bluecast
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Stocke » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:45 pm

I don't think I've ever seen a piece of translated text from Japanese to English or vice versa, where everyone agrees on every aspect of the translation.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Feelers Rebo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:32 pm

wtf are you all talking about, it actually goes:
তিনি একটি সমুদ্র জুড়ে পূর্ব পর্যন্ত জমি থেকে প্রদর্শিত হইবে,
একটি যুবক যারা ​​এখনো তার সম্ভাব্য জানি,
এই সম্ভাব্য একটি শক্তি যা হয় তাকে ধ্বংস বা তার বুঝতে পারে,
তাঁর সাহস তার ভাগ্য নির্ধারণ করিবেন,
পাথ তিনি, বিদ্বেষ সঙ্গে পরিপূর্ণ, তর্ক করতে হবে, যতক্ষণ না আমি প্রার্থনা প্রতীক্ষা,
এই জন্য ভাগ্য আদ্যিকাল থেকে পূর্বাহ্নে নির্ধারিত,
একটি পিচ কালো রাতে তার একমাত্র আলো হিসাবে শুকতারা সঙ্গে unfolds,
এবং এইভাবে কাহিনী ... শুরু ...

get it right, god
Feelers Rebo
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Bluecast » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:37 pm

Feelers Rebo wrote: wtf are you all talking about, it actually goes:
তিনি একটি সমুদ্র জুড়ে পূর্ব পর্যন্ত জমি থেকে প্রদর্শিত হইবে,
একটি যুবক যারা ​​এখনো তার সম্ভাব্য জানি,
এই সম্ভাব্য একটি শক্তি যা হয় তাকে ধ্বংস বা তার বুঝতে পারে,
তাঁর সাহস তার ভাগ্য নির্ধারণ করিবেন,
পাথ তিনি, বিদ্বেষ সঙ্গে পরিপূর্ণ, তর্ক করতে হবে, যতক্ষণ না আমি প্রার্থনা প্রতীক্ষা,
এই জন্য ভাগ্য আদ্যিকাল থেকে পূর্বাহ্নে নির্ধারিত,
একটি পিচ কালো রাতে তার একমাত্র আলো হিসাবে শুকতারা সঙ্গে unfolds,
এবং এইভাবে কাহিনী ... শুরু ...

get it right, god

Get it right Allah

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Feelers Rebo
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Feelers Rebo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:55 pm

Ryudo wrote: Get it right Allah

AHEM
Allah is the Arabic word for God (literally "the God", as the initial "Al-" is the definite article).
Last edited by Feelers Rebo on Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feelers Rebo

Postby Bluecast » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:57 pm

I know. Just saying Allah makes the joke go better.

Allah Damnit
:P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue