[Article]Why Shenmue 3 must never be made

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: [Article]Why Shenmue 3 must never be made

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:54 am

Interesting writeup. I can't say that I fully agree with the idea that Shenmue 3 has to be as equally ambitious as the previous Shenmue games. I think what made Shenmue so ambitious among other things was the whole FREE concept. It had such a great sense of exploration and being able to knock on any door though mundane was awesome. These days we have the GTAs and other huge sandbox games that I think Shenmue paved the way for.

Ambition is important but I don't expect to be blown out of the water as far as gameplay is concerned when/if I finally sit down to play Shenmue 3. I really just want an experience that echos the other games with interactivity equaling today's games. Of course there will be those who won't look twice at Shenmue 3 if it doesn't allow you to enter first person mode and mow down Hong Kong with a machine gun(fist), but who cares about them?

And I also see what he's saying about keeping Shenmue unfinished because of the mystery. But I selfishly just don't care about mystery or magic that would remain intact when reminiscing of the first two games. I want to finish the story so badly. If the story had been finished in the first two games and people were crying for some sort of a sequel...No, I wouldn't want more done because the story is intact.

I'm trying to think of other games that were set up to be a series like Shenmue and flowed into each other and were actually finished. Not just sequels with individual stories or whatever.

elfshadowreaper has received a thanks from: nskachu
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Ziming » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:50 am

Yu Suzuki vaguely addressed the budget issue to make a third game. Here is a snippet from a interview he did in 2011:

JI: Earlier this year, you said: "I think SEGA will let me do it ... or if there are other big sponsors ..." I speak of course Shenmue III. After such a call of the foot, is that investors have come forward?

YS: I think there are many interested investors, and I still have to deal with budget issues with Sega, who owns the rights to the series. It is almost there...

JI: Precisely, what is the budget for a production of this magnitude?

YS: I have an idea but unfortunately I can not tell.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:31 pm

The "it is almost there" really gives me hope. But at the same time I want to stay realistic.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:01 pm

Suffice to say, I thoroughly disagree with the article, which I assume was written to be controversial for its own sake.

I'm afraid I have little patience for cowardice on the level of "let's not try and get what we want in case it's not as good as we hoped." Seriously, screw that.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby nskachu » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:33 pm

Shenmue 3 should of course be made. And the other parts, too!
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with feelings

Postby mue 26 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:58 am

:roll: Here we go again. Despite the fact that the author of this article clearly believes himself to be a contrarian, he's not, in fact this view seems to be the mainstream one in many corners of the internet. I've personally had the experience of being bashed over the head with "but it will never live up to expectations/Sega will never provide a big enough budget/ those days of gaming are OVER/ get over it and move on" replies on certain forums while trying to drum up support for the tweethon.

I'm afraid I have little patience for cowardice on the level of "let's not try and get what we want in case it's not as good as we hoped." Seriously, screw that.

^this. And people always forget that for every dud franchise reboot (well, every truckload admittedly..), there's always a surprise gem that beats the odds, a game that shouldn't have been as good as it is, but is. Something like XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Who thought that was going to work out well prior to it's release?

Also the author does give the impression he's the type who'll be checking this forum later, probably hoping to see a bunch of angry fans "spunk creamy-hot vitriolic hate all over my face". Well, his face.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Fenix » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:23 am

Totally agree with the article.
Being realistic, Yu Suzuki imagined an AWESOME story along 16 chapters. Just think about it... 16!!! And we don't even know if some of the last 11 chapters were planned to be 1 chapter per game. Imagine a so massive and long story in one game. We'll have the perfect combo to destroy the saga and even more if we think that most of actual videogame's players are full of hipsters wannabe that thinks "the old was better blah blah blah" just because they think that's mainstream ore it makes them more intelligents.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby RyoHazuki84 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:18 pm

Conceivably, Shenmue as a whole was meant to be a whole game with many chapters. With the Dreamcast releases of one and two, you can use your save from Shenmue 1 to Shenmue 2 with all your money and items and move lists, etc. If Shenmue 3 came out on Dreamcast, I am sure this feature would have carried over. The fact that it was this whole thing is part of the ambition and I think we have not reached the full potential of the overall ambition. Plus, Suzuki said the development of the game would be more inward as opposed to outward as it was in Shenmue 2. I heard that he already recorded Shenhua and Ryo's dialogs for Shenmue 3 already. I think the distinctions Shenmue 3 would have would contribute to the overall ambition we have yet to see. Yes, Shenmue paved way for other games like Ryu Ga Gotoku and post GTA2 games, but don't bring the same detail and freedom of Shenmue. Hell, there are not many games that I can think of that live up to the genre called FREE and the only game that can do that is Shenmue 3. Shenmue 3 can still bring us the wonderful worlds of Asia, the kung fu fighting, the culture, the traditional acoustics and percussions, just everything that made the series great in a foundational definition can still succeed today.
RyoHazuki84
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue

Return to Shenmue III