Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

Postby Schiff » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:34 pm

investors? The only one I can think of is Notch, from Mojang (Minecraft). He was ready to pour 2 million dollars into a sequel of Schafer's Psychonauts. He didn't because he was then told that Double Fine needed something like 18 millions. Ok, 2 millions are nowhere near to funding Shenmue III. But I think porting Shenmue and Shenmue II to xbla/psn would cost much less than this. Now the priority should be porting those two and make them sell a lot.... to enlarge the fan-base once again and spark more requests for Shenmue III.
Schiff
Wanna leave the cave
Man Mo Acolyte

XBL: ylyon
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Virtua Fighter 5FS

Re: Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Showhttp://www.shenmuedoj

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:52 pm

redline wrote:
Ryudo wrote:
Yeah how dare they not lose money and go bankrupt but instead choose to make money so they can stay in business. What hooligans!

wheres the thumbs down button when you need it.

Like it or not without Sammy SEGA would have been the next SNK. SEGA was about to file bankruptcy and be gone for good. Shenmue lost them tons of money. Sega is a business and needs to make money to stay in business. So excuse them for trying to stay in business. Take off the rose colored glasses. SEGA is making great games and ones making them money. They have no reason to take a risk on a series that contributed heavily to their near going out of business
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby mue 26 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:06 pm

Rakim wrote:
Peter wrote: Starting to become clear that Suzuki knows nothing regarding Shenmue in this day and age. He is gone from Sega, who own the IP and any decision regarding its use. People looking for answers from the man are wasting their time. Sure he said last year, "i think Sega will let me make it".........

Really? Still waiting, but cool story bro.

Someone sounds bitter....

I can understand where Peter is coming from though. I mean, it's pretty evident that Yu has close to zero clout left at Sega now. I also get the feeling that he's done almost everything he can do himself now (or everything he feels comfortable doing anyway), he's played all his hands, he very probably has no "secret plans" he's working on, and as Sweaty put it, it really is up to us the fans to change the situation. I don't blame Yu though, he's a good man, he should have all the industry clout of a Miyamoto, but it just didn't work out that way...

SEGA is making great games and ones making them money. They have no reason to take a risk on a series that contributed heavily to their near going out of business

Everything in this sentance is contentious at the very least.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:20 pm

NO it's just a fact they are putting out mostly well reviewed games and selling fairly well. SEGA also recently reported profits are up. Not trying to be cynical. It's just from SEGA's point of view why risk resources on a IP that lost them a great deal of money when they almost were out like THQ when the IP's they have now and helping them.
I don't like it but that's how SEGA see's it

People still want Crystal Pepsi and loved,pay hundred on ebay for 20 year old bottles. Despite it lost Pepsi money so they won't go back to it.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby japalp » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:28 pm

I think what was the main driver of the losses in the chart above is that they were a console manufacturer in the years with the big losses and started to turn it around after exiting the console business (which was bleeding money). I don't think you can say that Shenmue was the main reason for those losses. It may have have been a part, but not the main driver. I think we all understand that Shenmue came out on a console that was on its last legs, and that Shenmue II never had a chance. I think it is crazy to think that this game wouldn't sell at this point if it were made for PS4, Wii-U and/or the next XBox. They just can't make the same mistake and release it on the current gen which will probably disappear in the next few years.

japalp has received 2 thanks from: DreamcastPast, Let's Get Sweaty
japalp
Dojo Actuary
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Breath of the Wild

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:32 pm

No was not a main reason but a big reason. It was a huge risk for them and no reward. Sega was already in the red and it was more like the last nail in the coffin.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Ziming » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:43 pm

mue 26 wrote:
SEGA is making great games and ones making them money. They have no reason to take a risk on a series that contributed heavily to their near going out of business

Everything in this sentance is contentious at the very least.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:10 pm

Yes just do a lazy quote and don't read the following post. Just attack when cold facts are not as popular as rose glasses. That's a contentious post but not the ones before.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Schiff » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:13 pm

This again? Shenmue and Shenmue II sold well, if you consider the total number of Dreamcast around at that time. The first Shenmue was one of the best selling titles on the console. Blame Sega policies, not the game

Schiff has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Schiff
Wanna leave the cave
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:16 pm

Schiff wrote: This again? Shenmue and Shenmue II sold well, if you consider the total number of Dreamcast around at that time. The first Shenmue was one of the best selling titles on the console. Blame Sega policies, not the game

But they didn't make a profit on it. Selling 1 million does not mean auto success. They had to sell multiple copies for every DC sold to break even. The development and marketing was massive. It's both Sega's arrogance and negligence to think it would save the DC. Sega back then were crap at managing a bank account

Look at Darksiders II. Very similar situation. It sold 1 million copies and the game ended on a story cliffhanger. Game needed to sell 4 mill to break even. Shenmue needed to sell a whole lot more than it did
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Schiff » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:22 pm

of course :) but you see? The game sold well. As you said, the loss was due to poor management of their resources
Schiff
Wanna leave the cave
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bluecast » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:24 pm

Schiff wrote: of course :) but you see? The game sold well. As you said, the loss was due to poor management of their resources

I know. It's Sega. I should have said before that's probably how sega looks at it today. They see the game as a loss. While it part of a much large picture of SEGA itself starting in 1994. I honestly believe on XBL it would sell decent.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Schiff
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:35 pm

When Sega poured those millions into the game's development, they weren't banking on the hardware being a flop. Shenmue sold as well as any game could on the Dreamcast, but it was a big fish in a small pond with no mathematical possibility of breaking even. That Sega, or anyone else, still blames Shenmue for those losses is face smackingly frustrating.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Axm
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby AM2 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm

If we have anyone to blame for not developing Shenmue HD/Shenmue 3 it's Sega.
There are a lot of reasons why they're so ignorant towards us, the Shenmue community.
Let's start adding the reasons up from about the mid to the end of the nineties.
0.Yu Suzuki, by the mid '90's a legend within Sega, primarily through his arcade games, starts to develop Project Berkley for the
Saturn, he get's the trust and respect he earned through the years along with 70 million Dollar( times x in today's money) in total through the years to develop Project Berkley.

1.Sega fails with Saturn because of architecture and previous failures(32x, Sega CD, Nomad), Sega drops Saturn.
Customers left in the wind once more. Project Berkley shifts to release on next Sega console.

2.Dreamcast is launched, It's the most innovative console ever built, its 'competitors' at the time are the N64 and PS1,
HILARIOUS I KNOW!

3.Shenmue is released, it creates a new genre, FREE. However sales disappoint... Mr. Suzuki
starts to feel the pressure/disappointment.

4.DC is struggling, Shenmue 2 is released, but only in Asia and Europe. Sales disappoint again.
Mr. Suzuki's credibility within Sega takes major blows. If you're familiar with Japanese work culture,
you'd know there were going to be consequences, even if you're a legend, heads will roll...
Suzuki-san quietly gets demoted, pushed to the background...

Next points to follow.
AM2
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Life

Postby RyoHazuki84 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:48 pm

Porting Shenmue 2 to Xbox at the last minute I think hurt the franchise as well IMHO. People had it reserved and just shortly before its supposed Dreamcast release, it is cancelled. I think if it stayed on DC with the established fan base, it could have been more successful. Would it promise us Shenmue 3? Maybe not but the chances would have been higher.
RyoHazuki84
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates