Shenmue HD - realistically, what would actually...

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shenmue HD - realistically, what would actually...

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:12 am

...need to be done to it to make it ready for release?

I'm talking about things such as updating the graphics with hi-res textures; mapping the controls to current gen controllers, etc.? Those sort of things.

(Note: this is NOT a wishlist thread, as I am already well aware of that one's existence.)

Also, roughly how much does/would it cost to remaster a game? I can't imagine it being too much, but, of course, I'm no expert.

Thanks!

xx
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue HD - realistically, what would actually...

Postby Schiff » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:29 am

the longest part would be translating the game into other languages (I guess they would do it) and playtesting. I wish we knew how much money they need for this. I think a kickstarter project for an HD remake would be within the possibilities of the fans....
Schiff
Wanna leave the cave
Man Mo Acolyte

XBL: ylyon
Currently playing: Virtua Fighter 5FS

Postby Bluecast » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:40 am

SEGA just ported the Gamecube version of Sonic Adventures. Wude's Shenmue 1080P looks really good so don't think visually anything needs to change.
I grew to like the intentional tank controls. Analog would be nice. Also in the first game the ability to skip hours when waiting for something like in II
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:37 am

A graphics upgrade in some areas would be nice. Rain effects could look better, NPC's could look better and some of the shops could be made a little bigger[pain in the arse if more than 1 person is in them].

Analog controls would be a must and Ryo needs to walk more like a human than robot. Other than that its pretty much ready.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: Anthony817
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:34 pm

At least in the first game when you start to head down stairs but won't let you because an NPC is there before so you have to wait.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:50 pm

Its funny that never happened to me until around my 3rd playthrough.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:29 pm

Well fuck trying to get a Kickstarter for Shenmue III. I think the most logical step would be to get a Kickstarter for Shenmue I and II HD. It would make more sense to show it to a new generation of gamers ans get some profit one a game that would not cost as much as Shenmue III to make
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:41 am

Could safely say a kickstarter for Shenmue 1 and II HD would reach its goal within a day. If only i was the head of a successful game company i would try and buy the rights myself and get Yu on board to remake the game and have the whole story in 1 game.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Anthony817 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:14 pm

Like others said before. Analog for movement, and something else to add would be mapping the right stick to analog view, much like the Xbox version of part 2 is.

Some of those NPC's were painful to look at even back in 2000. Some of my friends would look at Ryo and say, "Damn, that's amazing how much is possible on Dreamcast". Then in the next breath say ho0w shitty the NPC's looked in their faces.

Would be nice to model real fingers on NPC's as well instead of having a blocky hand with textures.
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

Postby js3 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:02 am

Yokosuka Martian wrote: Well fuck trying to get a Kickstarter for Shenmue III. I think the most logical step would be to get a Kickstarter for Shenmue I and II HD. It would make more sense to show it to a new generation of gamers ans get some profit one a game that would not cost as much as Shenmue III to make

You are absolutely right, and this is what I've been getting frustrated about. Our 'kickstarter/crowdfunding energies' have been focused in the wrong direction. Our priority should be on getting 1 & 2 to next gen, to start the ball rolling. And let's imagine that at some point in the future, Shenmue 3 has been made. Can any of us honestly imagine that scenario will happen without 1 & 2 not available for next gen?

From a financial point of view, why would anyone take the risk on producing (an expensive) video game that will probably only appeal to the dreamcast faithful and a handful of Xbox users (who didn't even get to play the first game?)

The amount of people I've told about Shenmue, only for them to say "that game sounds amazing - how can I play it?" and for me to say "err... well, first of all you need a dreamcast...." they turn off immediately. If it was available for them to buy on PSN, Wii U, Xbox, I'm sure they'd have all bought a copy by now.

On a practical level, Shenmue HD remakes will be far cheaper (and far more likely) at this point in time than an entire new game from scratch. On an even more practical level, my dreamcast is getting old. It won't be around forever. I need to have 1 & 2 on a new system before it gives up entirely.

js3 has received 2 thanks from: nagates, Yokosuka Martian
js3
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Just finished S2 (again)

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:10 am

- no loading screens, you open a door and continue playing. Use them only when leaving dobuita to harbor or during napping time.
- no pop up NPC's
- better textures
- jap and eng. voice acting option.
- extra content like more saturn games, collectables, moves, npc's, etc
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:37 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:- extra content like more saturn games, collectables, moves, npc's, etc

Really? You think that's all necessary to justify a re-release?

ShenGCH wrote:Note: this is NOT a wishlist thread
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby shengoro86 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:29 pm

Siding with Ryudo, I think Shenmue looks great in 1080p.
Some textures may need updating to make the transition to 1080p but most existing textures look great.

I would also like to see less of a "draw distance" system for NPCs.

Unlockables side:
Same as 2x with side stories
Unlockable and playable Saturn demo would be fantastic.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby hello ryo » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:19 am

it would take sega to listen to their fans for once in their lifetime instead of releasing kids games like sonic. baring in mind dreamcast users have grown up now so surely u would think that shenmue would be the perfect game to remake for the dreamcast fans who are now gona be in their 20s at the very least. the rumour last year abt shenmue hd being ready for over a year should of been crushed officailly by sega if not true. so if it doesnt come out then it shows how much sega actually dont give a fuck abt their few fans they have left. e3 2013 is the last hope for me.
hello ryo
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby nagates » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:27 pm

Truthfully to get this game ready for a re-release, all they would have to do is make it work on the xbox/ps3 and play testing, I mean look at sonic adventure re-release, they did almost nothing, and even framed the game in full screen. Oh, and I guess they added a few achievements, whoopee?

What, I would like to see at min, and I think makes the game more playable:
- Better load distances for NPC (I think this should be doable)
-Solid 60fps
-Widescreen (I know we can sorta do this with NULL DC already with a few glitches, not sure how hard it would be to do perfectly, But you could argue that's maybe not worth it, at least for cut scenes, as all the action takes place in the 4:3 space of the screen)
-achievements ( I actually think shenmue would be prefect for achievements, I think you could have a lot of silly ones)

It would be nice if they:
-Updated textures
-Use the best available character models for all possible characters (i.e passport model swaps)
-Kinect enabled qtes / fighting?
Last edited by nagates on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nagates
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: CoolerFX
Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Next

Return to Shenmue III