Gaming Thoughts Of The Day 2.0

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming Thoughts Of The Day 2.0

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:32 pm

mue 26 wrote: To place my post in the correct thread:

Amazon, how long am I to wait for my copy of Bioshock infinite? Next day delivery and no sign yet. What am I to do, I've been sitting down starring at the front door like since 11am... and I'll keep waiting till it arrives, damn it!

Anyone think it'll actually come today?

Foolish boy! These Easter times!
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:13 pm

Well hello...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQcQLKz5IOA[/youtube]

The inspiration Monochromo pulls from Limbo is obvious: A little boy wanders through a dark, oppressive world filled with dangerous obstacles. Developer Nowhere Studios is quick to acknowledge how important Limbo was in the creation of Monochroma. Players solve environmental puzzles involving pushing boxes and leaping across floating logs, but the game adds new wrinkles to the formula. The little boy must lead his younger sister through the deadly world.

I began my hands-on time with Monochromo by guiding the little boy through dark cornfields as rain pours around him. The keyboard controls are simple. Players make the boy run, jump, and interact with objects like switches or boxes. Lighting crashes in the background as I pass by quiet farmsteads and abandoned grain silos. Eventually I see a kite appear in the distance, which I instinctively follow. After running in parallel for sometime, the boy meets with the kite’s handler: his little sister. From there it’s up to players to guide their scared sibling through the treacherous world towards salvation.

Unfortunately, the boy’s sister is afraid of the dark, which makes traversing this dark world tricky. Players can run and climb with the little girl clutching to their back, but certain puzzles require the boy to act alone. Because of her phobia, the little sister can only be left in the light. Sometimes this requires climbing ladders and swinging across ropes to open shutters to let the sun shine through. It’s an interesting dynamic that adds complexity to both the characters and the game design.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/monoc ... limbo.aspx
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:01 pm

Awful trailer. I got bored within a minute. And I don't mean that it needed more "action" or anything, just a bit of meaning or context to these random clips of some kid walking from left to right through fairly uninteresting surroundings. It gave me no reason to care, no reason to keep watching to find out more.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, OL
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Tuffty » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:26 pm

Here's a love message sent to me over Xbox Live after some Crysis 3 multiplayer.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n404NydgiD4[/youtube]

I am no man.

Tuffty has received 2 thanks from: Kenny, mue 26
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby mue 26 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:47 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote:
mue 26 wrote: To place my post in the correct thread:

Amazon, how long am I to wait for my copy of Bioshock infinite? Next day delivery and no sign yet. What am I to do, I've been sitting down starring at the front door like since 11am... and I'll keep waiting till it arrives, damn it!

Anyone think it'll actually come today?

Foolish boy! These Easter times!

But..but..I ordered next day delivery :sad: Needless to say it has not turned up.

Anyway as for the Kamiya twitter. This is exactly the problem with twitter, it's a platform that seems to encourage (due to it's limitations) foolish behaviour. Still love twitter for the tweetathon though :)
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Jokatech19 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:58 pm

Has anyone here played Archibald's Adventure for the PSN? OMG!!! talk about a blast from the past. I haven't had a game take me back like that in a very long time. I really believe this game is not given it's due recognition. It deserves some kind of reward. Not only is the gameplay perfect, but the soundtrack is feaking sick.
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby Bluecast » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:14 pm

Might be the wrong crowd but if there is any Turbografx fans. Loving Neutopia and the funny thing is I hated Zelda on NES. For some reason like this much more. Worth the 6$ on PSN. Game is hard to get otherwise.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:55 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZAt1OtJ6dw[/youtube]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:41 am

The gameplay just looks like an uninspired repeat of No More Heroes...
BUT, I love the fact that these trailers don't come off as desperately trying to be funny, as Suda's other post-NMH game trailers have. That says to me, in very subtle words, that this really may be a return to form for Suda; a game that isn't just about ridiculous humor, but might actually have some kind of subtext or meaning behind all of the surreal craziness going on (which is why I took note of his name in the first damn place).
Color me interested. Might even preorder it.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:35 pm

UPDATE: Bioshock Infinite has been received today. Hyped. :)
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:20 pm

OL wrote: The gameplay just looks like an uninspired repeat of No More Heroes...
BUT, I love the fact that these trailers don't come off as desperately trying to be funny, as Suda's other post-NMH game trailers have. That says to me, in very subtle words, that this really may be a return to form for Suda; a game that isn't just about ridiculous humor, but might actually have some kind of subtext or meaning behind all of the surreal craziness going on (which is why I took note of his name in the first damn place).

Humor or not, I'd like to play something more than just merely playable from him. Shadows and Lollipop, even with their pluses, ended up being weighed down by the minuses. I have a feeling that even if he made something that doesn't resemble NMH it'd be disappointing in some way.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:22 pm

Rare raised £1306.88 for red nose day.
http://rare.co.uk/blog/2013/03/28/rare- ... -day-2013/
I want Unicorn poo.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:30 pm

If Sony still had control of the Fatal Frame series,no doubt they would've brought over Mask of The Lunar Eclipse.The import prices are quite high. :sad:
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:31 pm

Samanosuke Akechi wrote: If Sony still had control of the Fatal Frame series,no doubt they would've brought over Mask of The Lunar Eclipse.The import prices are quite high. :sad:

Fatal Frame IV not coming to the west is Tecmo's fault
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:42 pm

Kenny wrote:
OL wrote:
The gameplay just looks like an uninspired repeat of No More Heroes...

Humor or not, I'd like to play something more than just merely playable from him. Shadows and Lollipop, even with their pluses, ended up being weighed down by the minuses. I have a feeling that even if he made something that doesn't resemble NMH it'd be disappointing in some way.

The thing to me is that, oddly, I don't really play or pay attention to his games for the gameplay. I got interested in him, as a creator, because he seemed to have his own unique sense of aesthetics. I even remember something in a preview for Killer 7 where after showing off a bunch of story and visual stuff, he was asked what the game would play like, to which he replied "I don't know yet."
Call me crazy, but that's the Suda whose games I want to play. If I want great gameplay, I can go elsewhere. But if I want something visually, aurally, and narratively entertaining in the most surreal ways possible... there aren't many other places to go, really.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming