Team Yu needs you!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Team Yu needs you!

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:02 am

I was hoping to get a full write-up of last weekend's Tweetathon and surrounding events finished today, but I feel like utter shit right now so it may be further delayed.

In the meantime, some of you may not be aware of a new technique we're using for next month's Tweetathon. Go to this page and click the "Support with Twitter" button. Follow the prompts and your tweet will be stored until April 3rd, before being automatically sent at the same time as everyone else who signed up.

It works like Kickstarter, in that we have to reach the target of 100 supporters or else none of the tweets will be sent. But we're nearly there already, so with your help we can just make sure the simultaneous blast during next month's Tweetathon is as big as possible.

This doesn't have to replace sending your own tweets on the day. This is just a supplimentary method that produces a different kind of impact, and also allows people to make the effort in advance if they're going to be busy on the 3rd (or think they might forget).

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Nankeiro
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby myshtuff » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:25 pm

Woooo. Just signed up with my twitter and Facebook accounts. Didn't know this existed.

myshtuff has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Nankeiro » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:18 pm

Already added mine! Thanks for the advice.
Nankeiro
Master of the Three Blades

Postby krizzex » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:04 pm

I'm the curious as to how effective people expect this to be. It seems ill aimed.

I'd say the best outlet for something like this would be a major gaming news medium. That would draw more views from Sega execs than a few fan pages.
krizzex
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Bluecast » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:10 pm

krizzex wrote: I'm the curious as to how effective people expect this to be. It seems ill aimed.

I'd say the best outlet for something like this would be a major gaming news medium. That would draw more views from Sega execs than a few fan pages.

A gaming news site is an indirect way. This goes straight to them as a direct way. Also Ryo won on Sega all stars racing and the facebook poll. It's more than anything just telling Sega fans are not going away. Sega has taken some notice.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby mue 26 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:16 am

krizzex wrote: I'm the curious as to how effective people expect this to be. It seems ill aimed.

Sure, getting our cause promoted on a big gaming site is also a boon, but the problem is, it's there one day and then it's forgotten about, and the Sega execs can go back to their usual policy of sweeping Shenmue under the carpet. There have been countless amounts of sporadic infrequent articles about Shenmue on gaming sites that disappear quickly, not to mention fan campaigns aimed directly at Sega execs (such as the famously lovable capsule toy campaign, amongst others) but they have been very easy for Sega to brush aside and ignore, leaving us disheartened every time.

This campaign differentiates itself in a number of key ways thanks to wonders of current social media: 1. it's incredibly easy to get on board with, almost anyone can spare a minute to send a tweet 2. It allows us to be persistent, and not just have one flash in the pan burst of activity before fizzling out, but instead continue to grow and be an ever louder voice in Sega's ears. The campaign is into it's second year now, and it continues to grow larger and gain traction 3. In a way, it allows us to circumnavigate Sega's execs, thanks to the very public medium that twitter is. If we can continue to make enough noise like that in a public space with thousands upon thousands of viewers, it won't be viable for Sega to keep up it's act of silence, something will have to give, we know that and they know that, we just have to keep going from strength to strength as we currently are doing.

And there other ideas and plans being kicked around too, the tweetathon as it currently is, is by no means the full scope of our ambitions. But it does serve as the core that is keeping the fanbase active and united once more, and from there we can continue to evolve.

mue 26 has received 3 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, myshtuff, Nankeiro
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:52 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:In the meantime, some of you may not be aware of a new technique we're using for next month's Tweetathon. Go to this page and click the "Support with Twitter" button. Follow the prompts and your tweet will be stored until April 3rd, before being automatically sent at the same time as everyone else who signed up.

It works like Kickstarter, in that we have to reach the target of 100 supporters or else none of the tweets will be sent. But we're nearly there already, so with your help we can just make sure the simultaneous blast during next month's Tweetathon is as big as possible.

This doesn't have to replace sending your own tweets on the day. This is just a supplimentary method that produces a different kind of impact, and also allows people to make the effort in advance if they're going to be busy on the 3rd (or think they might forget).

The basic target of 100 was passed a few days ago, and the "social reach" (ie, total followers/friends of the Twitter/Facebook accounts that have signed up) is approaching 25,000. Minus some overlap, that's how many newsfeeds will receive one of these automatically released messages on April 3rd - in addition to the usual tweets throughout the day.

That sums up quite nicely the reason we've taken the issue onto social media, and Twitter in particular. By focusing gamers around this campaign, they speak with one voice while we hold a megaphone to their lips. It's no longer about random emails and messageboard comments, it's about a public display of unity, demonstrating that Shenmue fans - both hardcore and casual - are focused, co-ordinated, and legion.

The next Tweetathon is still over two weeks away, so if you haven't lined up your tweet in advance, you've plenty of time to do so at the above link. But of course you can still post whatever you like on the day itself, using the all-purpose hashtag #GiveYuTheShenmueLicense.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:19 am

It's Tweetathon time, folks. All day Wednesday (like every 3rd of the month), so jump on Twitter any time and post something containing the hashtag #GiveYuTheShenmueLicense. Don't have an account? Make one - it takes literally seconds, and you never have to use it for anything else, EVER.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:51 am

Done
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Axm » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:17 pm

Ive done my part. I hope a majority of SD does theirs too..
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby mue 26 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:22 pm

That new thing we're using must be helping, because it seems there are a shitload of tweets today.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Stocke » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:50 pm

Completely forgot about this today. i'll get on it right now.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:54 pm

I think there should really be a badge advertising the tweetathon on the front page. Similar to the Donate badge. Link it to a write-up about what you do and why it benefits Shenmue fans. Should really bring some traction to the campaign and, if you we're to go this route, wouldn't spam the front page news every third of the month.

Crimson Ryan has received 4 thanks from: Bluecast, Giorgio, Let's Get Sweaty, mue 26
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Nankeiro » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:07 pm

My little grain for this month has been posted.
Last edited by Nankeiro on Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nankeiro

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:02 pm

mue 26 wrote:That new thing we're using must be helping, because it seems there are a shitload of tweets today.

Ziming's also helped a lot by posting about it on the ShenmueFans Facebook page again. It's always the most popular topic on that page, currently with over 800 likes/200 shares, demonstrating that this is the kind of thing Shenmue fans truly care about, not half-baked rumors or random videos. The fanbase wants to get active for Shenmue III, and embraces the right opportunity when it comes along. We just need to keep extending that opportunity to as many fans as possible, far and wide across the Internet.

Crimson Ryan wrote:I think there should really be a badge advertising the tweetathon on the front page. Similar to the Donate badge. Link it to a write-up about what you do and why it benefits Shenmue fans. Should really bring some traction to the campaign and, if you we're to go this route, wouldn't spam the front page news every third of the month.

I'd be more than happy to write something up if Dojo management agrees to your suggestion.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: mue 26, Nankeiro
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III