Maggie Thatcher dies

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Maggie Thatcher dies

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:57 pm

Calm down fellas. Political debates [especially for ones as divisive as Thatcher] tend to bring much shouting and anger in the end, unfortunately. The debate part is fine, but the insults are not, so please just let it go.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby LawXiu » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:11 pm

QWERTY™ wrote:I don't think calling people "fools", "cretins", "imbeciles" and "idiots" is the way to argue your point tbh mate, it's pretty offensive considering we're only giving our political opinion. No need for the off-key remarks.

Is this the same Qwerty?
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby beedle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:49 pm

Feelers Rebo wrote:Russia Today for a good perspective on who's responsible for what

just seen this LOL
beedle
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:38 pm

Hmm people getting pissed in the street on a Monday lunch time rather then working to celebrate her death. I wonder why they're glad she's gone...
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby beedle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:51 pm

the unemployed can get drunk in as many monday lunch times as they want, so i dunno why they don't want her back
beedle
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Feelers Rebo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:56 pm

beedle wrote:
Feelers Rebo wrote:Russia Today for a good perspective on who's responsible for what

just seen this LOL

Beats the shit out of the BBC (which is not impartial, folks) or any other such "news" outlet. You should watch RT in combination with your local news. You can use both perspectives to subtract the spin, along with whatever other material you can get ahold of.
Feelers Rebo
Master of the Three Blades

Postby beedle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:16 pm

i'm sorry but no. you are not allowed to berate people who read the mail and then later on hold up the propagandistic RT as some sort of bastion of truth.

the beeb is not impartial, but it is a huge step up from RT.
beedle
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Feelers Rebo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:25 pm

Never "held it up as a bastion of truth". Just recommended a good piece of programming hosted by an ex-stockbroker. I also think that it's incredibly dubious to suggest the BBC to be a "huge step up". It's just as biased and propagandistic as RT, or anything else, for that matter.
Feelers Rebo

Postby mue 26 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:47 pm

You see, Beedle has an A level in politics. Therefore he needs not refer to any external sources on the topic.

Any links to this Russia Today thing, where can I check it? Speaking of alternative news sources, there's apparently some channel on Sky or something that does an alternative take on the news. I never actually bothered to check it out though, as the guy who recommended it to me used to come in practically cosplaying as Che Guevara everyday (and had a tattoo of his face), yet also advocated Sharia law in Iran, and also professed that if he ever came into power he would execute every gay person. :s Absolutely true story. He was a nice guy aside from all that, mind.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Feelers Rebo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:58 pm

mue 26 wrote:Any links to this Russia Today thing, where can I check it?

RT's Youtube. Reports a lot of stuff you won't hear on BBC, ITV, etc, and definitely not Channel 5 (which I don't even think counts as news).
And Max Keiser. Based in London, and he always lays into Jamie Dimon.

Feelers Rebo has received a thanks from: mue 26
Feelers Rebo

Postby beedle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:38 pm

mue 26 wrote:Therefore he needs not refer to any external sources on the topic.

RT was set up by mr. putin to promote a pro-Russian, anti-Western stance. It constantly downplays criticism of the corrupt, undemocratic Russian government (see: a strong lack of said criticisms), promotes Putin's foreign policy (see: its support of Assad in Syria) and is generally pretty conspiratorial and sensationalist about the U.S. politics(see: the whole site). RT makes no attempt at truthful journalism. It is literally propaganda straight from the Kremlin and there is a reason people view it as a joke. if you must read a foreign news outlet go for al jazeera or something.

also while i acknowledge that the BBC isn't perfect, I do find it amusing how the right constantly accuse it of being too left leaning and the left, vice versa. pretty funny really, at least i think so.

beedle has received a thanks from: mue 26
beedle
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Jeff » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:27 pm

I will agree with Beedle that RT does select what they report. There is a US RT and they put on crazy people claiming that the US is going to collapse within a month for a few years now. I view it as a source here to undermine US confidence. I have on my bookmarks for news sources BBC, Drudge Report, Infowars, FoxNews. I have on my TV world stations like Japan news (NHK I think?), Al Jazeera (good for stories most mainstream doesn't report, but know who their in bed with), and also CCTV (the Chinese News Network for comedic relief).
Jeff
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PSN: jgk1020
XBL: jgkny
Currently playing: Halo Master Chief Col

Postby Peter » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:14 am

Any media is the number one tool for politicians to get what they need.

Anyways, fuck her. She can rot down there. I have respect for the dead when the person in question had respect for other lives and she didn't. Same as Hitler in my eyes. Whether the good she did or the bad she did, she will be remembered as a tyrant by many with the amount of lives she ruined on a global scale. From allowing pedophiles to do whatever they wished in the BBC, allowing shoot to kill policies on innocent people, doing arms deals, making friends with, and campaigning for the rights of murdering dictators (support of the Chilean dictator Pinochet, her opposition to sanctions against apartheid South Africa; and her support for the Khmer Rouge), the whole Hillsborough cover up where 90+ people died, forcing poll tax on Scotland, the poor were made poorer while the rich were made richer, privatisation, brutalized striking workers, the sinking of the Belgrano....

Here in Ireland her espousal of old draconian militaristic policies prolonged the war and caused great suffering. She embraced censorship, collusion and the killing of citizens by covert operations, including the targeting of solicitors like Pat Finucane, alongside more open military operations and refused to recognise the rights of citizens to vote for parties of their choice.

On top of all this, its now estimated that the cost to the taxpayers of the UK for her funeral will reach an estimated 8 million sterling.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby TEEPO™ » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:40 am

beedle wrote: however i wish her family the best

Even her own son and daughter said they're in no rush to come back.

All the Thatcher's dead parties, it's like the ending in the Return of the Jedi.

Fine bit of art work there. Look who forgot how to spell bastard :lol:
TEEPO™
Banned
Banned

Currently playing: with my sister

Postby mue 26 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:59 am

beedle wrote:
RT was set up by mr. putin to promote a pro-Russian, anti-Western stance. It constantly downplays criticism of the corrupt, undemocratic Russian government (see: a strong lack of said criticisms), promotes Putin's foreign policy (see: its support of Assad in Syria) and is generally pretty conspiratorial and sensationalist about the U.S. politics(see: the whole site). RT makes no attempt at truthful journalism. It is literally propaganda straight from the Kremlin and there is a reason people view it as a joke. if you must read a foreign news outlet go for al jazeera or something.

also while i acknowledge that the BBC isn't perfect, I do find it amusing how the right constantly accuse it of being too left leaning and the left, vice versa. pretty funny really, at least i think so.

8) I love it when you teach us Beedle. Is this the old beeds returning?

Also, I have to give it to Jeff. For a closed minded man, he does view a fair variety of news sources with differing perspectives.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic