Catherine

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Catherine

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri May 10, 2013 1:14 pm

And its gets more messed up as it goes.

But yes solid game and i really enjoyed the story.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:44 am

A few days ago, we reported the news that Atlus USA was looking into bringing back its PlayStation 3 cult classic Catherine for a new audience to enjoy – but we didn’t quite have confirmation. However, today is a different story, as we have it!

Atlus confirmed via a teaser website that Catherine is definitely happening, with a remaster/remake for PlayStation 4 and PS Vita under the name Catherine: Full Body. The game originally released for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and has become an unquestionable hit since that time.

Other details about the port are seldom at this point, but the company has noted that it will be revealing more of the game on December 22nd, around 7:30 PM Japan time over on Nico Nico’s channel. During that time, we’re expecting to get a first look at gameplay, as well as new details on the port.

Studio Zero, which is being run by Katsura Hashino, is handling the conversion, and has noted, according to Famitsu, that it will be introducing a “third Catherine” to go along with the other characters in the story. While little is known about her, you can catch a glimpse of her in the screenshot above. She also supposedly has a much different personality than the other Catherines, which poses a new challenge for our hero.

This may actually make me go back and play it again. Loved the Game originally.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby myshtuff » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:22 am

I never got around to playing it on PS3. I'm pretty pumped to try it out now.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:07 am

Some more details:

Development is a collaborative effort between Atlus and Studio Zero.
[There is a new] third “Catherine” named Rin (voiced by Aya Hirano). She is a pianist at Vincent’s regular bar, and has an exceedingly honest and gentle personality. Rin’s involvement in the story will introduce new branches for the other two “Catherines.”
A large amount of new endings, episodes, anime movies, and sexy events are being added.
The subtitle “Full Body” was chosen from the wine term, and exemplifies an even richer and somehow more erotic new Catherine.
There is cross-save support.
The new “Catherine,” Rin, is described as a healing existence that assists the nightmare-ridden Vincent and shows him new values. While her speech and conduct give off an aura of considerably lacking in common, she is a very straightforward and gentle character.
The scenario is mainly being made by full-time staff.
The wide range of difficulties and convenient systems being prepared will enable people who are interested in the story to enjoy the game until the very end.
In puzzle action stages, there is a new mechanic where you have to think about not only how to move cube-shaped blocks, but also blocks in a state where multiple are connected.
You can switch between new and traditional modes during the story.
There was unexpected excitement for the competive mode overseas, so online battles are being included.
There is more than one new ending.
Development is currently 50 percent complete.
A release date and price are still to be announced.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:10 pm

Hmmm, I'm not sure how I feel with them tampering with a game that was already complete enough as it was. Seems a bit unnecessary. I hope the new content doesn't clash with the base game, I mean don't get me wrong, I'll play it but I'd rather they devote their resources at Atlus to putting out some SMT spin off games, one of their classic IPs getting a new entry (like Growlanser or heck, a new Hellnight game) or a new IP entirely like that fantasy RPG.

Just a bit apprehensive since Strange Journey Redux & Radiant Historia Anthonology (upgraded ports of the originals on 3DS) both supposedly have pretty annoying changes such as worse artwork and new scenarios/routes implemented that clash with the base games of both of them and really felt out of place (which again, both games were supposedly "complete stories") and a bit anime'd up even more (or should I say more shounen influence being implemented into stories that were more "seinen").
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby sand4fish » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:50 pm

The new scenario... heading down the jail bait path I see.

phpBB [video]
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:49 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Hmmm, I'm not sure how I feel with them tampering with a game that was already complete enough as it was. Seems a bit unnecessary. I hope the new content doesn't clash with the base game, I mean don't get me wrong, I'll play it but I'd rather they devote their resources at Atlus to putting out some SMT spin off games, one of their classic IPs getting a new entry (like Growlanser or heck, a new Hellnight game) or a new IP entirely like that fantasy RPG.

Just a bit apprehensive since Strange Journey Redux & Radiant Historia Anthonology (upgraded ports of the originals on 3DS) both supposedly have pretty annoying changes such as worse artwork and new scenarios/routes implemented that clash with the base games of both of them and really felt out of place (which again, both games were supposedly "complete stories") and a bit anime'd up even more (or should I say more shounen influence being implemented into stories that were more "seinen").

Yes, I'm also not too big on the idea of tampering with an already finished scenario. I mean, if you have to add in extra story content for a remaster, do it the Last of Us way. Add some side story stuff like the "Left Behind" chapter. It didn't tamper with the main story but it was at the very least moderately interesting in and of itself story-wise while adding some good depth to the characters.

But adding new branches and endings to the main scenario? Doesn't sound too great to me. But I've never played the original which may be good.

Super happy about this coming out, finally. After having missed the PS3 generation entirely this is really great. Most great PS3 games that I felt like having missed out on have come out on the PS4 by now: Valkyria Chronicles, Heavy Rain, Uncharted 1, 2 and 3, Catherine.

Except for Yakuza 3, 4, and 5, which might still come as Kiwamis, pretty much everything I would like to have played on PS3 is out on PS4 now. Sweet!
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:24 pm

I’d agree that changing the story isn’t needed if it was a linear story like Last of Us but Catherine was already a game with branching paths so it’s just adding a few more on top.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:16 pm

In all reality the story was pretty crappy tied together with some supernatural whatever.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby OL » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:34 pm

^^Well, it is from the team behind a series of JRPGs, so that's not much of a surprise.

Five years later, I still appreciated the hell out of the game as a whole because it was actually about something far different from most games; rather than being all about saving the world, getting revenge, or anything else that easily lends itself to action, it was all about relationships and a guy's apprehension toward commitment. Painted up with supernatural stuff and surrealism, sure, but the point stands.
I agree with Riku that the new shit probably won't be much of a hindrance, since the game was already about branching paths anyway.
I will say I'm not too thrilled though, looking at the new third Catherine. Previously the game was surprisingly adept at generally not being all too cliche and trope-y with its characters, but the new girl just screams cliche to me. The pink-haired, high-voiced, head-tilting, slightly submissive jailbait type who will assuredly, without fail, throw out a peace sign at some point. I feel the "ughs" creeping their way up my vocal chords already.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:58 pm

I too liked it because the topic isn't something that is approached by videogames, that's why it bummed me down when it pretty much felt like it was just "another game" even storywise, that had a skin of a "relationship game". Hell, even less than most games that try to have an actual story arch, motivations, antagonists, etc.

It was handled like every game that has a light/dark side, but this was "C or K", and the way of doing the desicions was even lazier than most games that kinda try to do it organically.

The puzzle part was awesome though, but it was not why I played the game.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby King John Blaze » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:17 pm

One of the very few games to actually defeat me. I am ashamed to admit that I had to resort to a YouTube playthrough in order to complete the last two stages.
King John Blaze
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby KiBa » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:49 pm

Awesome music and artwork. I've deeply appreciated Catherine media for many years.

But I've never played the game, and I never will.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Previous

Return to General Gaming