New Yu Suzuki Interview from MAGS Conferance

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: New Yu Suzuki Interview from MAGS Conferance

Postby js3 » Sun May 19, 2013 6:38 pm

The "I can not talk too much" was cryptic, with a hint of promise. Then again, we've been getting this for years, haven't we?

I didn't get such a negative vibe from this as most people.

What we really need to be wary of is if/when he goes out of his way to make a big announcement regarding Shenmue. In such a situation it can only mean that it will be a final update for the fans - that it is never going to happen, and for people to stop asking him about it (If it was good news regarding Shenmue, SEGA would be making the announcement).
js3
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Just finished S2 (again)

Postby ryo-san93 » Sun May 19, 2013 8:23 pm

As long as Suzuki san is alive and Sega are still running there will always be hope and a chance of getting Shenmue 3.It doesn't look likely for Sega to make the game themselves, so if a company like Sony were to make the game it would be possible,as they would have the money, resources and man power to get the game out there.
ryo-san93
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Mon May 20, 2013 9:06 am

Snakiest wrote: I doubt Sega has the human resources for a Shenmue game. Not to mention financial. I pin my hopes on that recent meeting between Yu and the big gun from Sony. Hope dies last, so it still has decades to go.

Make a HD remake of Shenmue I&II and then use the same engine to make Shenmue III. Is this that expensive and impossible to realize? See the so praised walking dead episodic scheme... Yu wanted to do that 15 years ago.
At this point, he must be tired. SEGA won't let him do the game but at the same time they still want the license to sell DLC and merch. ](*,) Either run with it or drop it.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Snakiest » Mon May 20, 2013 9:19 am

The same engine wont work. Today is not yesterday. If theyto want to attract more people than the loyal necrofans, they will have to stay up to date. And the Walking Dead game is, frankly, a much simpler project in terms of gameplay. There is no fighting, no exploring, no hundreds of characters. Its a different weight category. My opinion is, Shenmue is past that ritical point where it could be made without major alterations of its engine or even mechanics. Today it wont work and upgrading it to modern standards just makes it more expensive.
Snakiest
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Mon May 20, 2013 10:09 am

Shenmue III is not going to be a best seller, we have to be realistic here. If you start changing the core of the gameplay mechanics in order to attract more people, you will get Shenkuza with no sells and angry fans.
The same engine updated and modified would work, Irrational Games successfully used the Unreal Engine 2 to make Bioshock and if they decided to make another FPS today with it... it would still be awesome under the right hands.

Sandbox games aren't that groundbreaking anymore, like you said, today is not yesterday and most of the new games of this era are using concepts that were on Shenmue: Save file transfer between games (Mass Effect), "cinematic" experience (Heavy Rain), similar battle system (Batman AA or Sleeping Dogs), QTE, etc. All we need are those dem HD remakes and build something from it.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu has received 2 thanks from: The_Intruder, Ziming
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Coolz » Wed May 22, 2013 6:40 am

Makes you wonder how long before the franchise becomes worthless, even to Sega?
Just like a corporate hoarder.
Coolz

Postby Hazuk-Ku » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:45 pm

A remake, huh? You mean like the Golden Axe remake that Sega in 2008 that sucked so bad? AM2 is one of the few internal development teams they have, besides the Yakuza team. If Sega tried to do a Shenmue remake at this point, they would hire some western developer and it would suck worse than Duke Nukem Forever. Please perish the thought of a remake. Either have Yu Suzuki produce it or don't do it at all.

I can understand fans are desperate to see something, but a revamp or reinvention is not the answer. It would take everything that is appealing and great about the game and destroy it.

I used to post here over 11 years ago under the name Gangsta Ren. From time to time, I would look in on this forum and get a little sad to see that people haven't given up hope, but are constantly disappointed. I remember a user named Lan DC used to always be so hopeful every E3 saying "this year we'll get a Shenmue announcement" Year after Year. Anyway a remake would not be Shenmue. It would be total garbage like the Golden Axe Beast Rider game , and it would NOT get one cent of my money.

I think Shenmue Gai (Shenmue Town /Shenmue World ) was a step in the right direction. It just wasn't ambitious enough. Rather than making a Mafia wars type game that works on the shittiest boost mobile/nokia/Metro PCS phones. Why not make Shenmue 3 for IOS/Android? The cost wouldn't be as high, as they wouldn't have to live up to the graphical standard of PS4 or XB One, and the game wouldn't be a low tech and unimpressive visually /gameplay wise as Shenmue Gai. They could make the first chapter Free, and charge for additional chapters to finish the story. They could charge you for in game purchases, and XP boosting credits, or you could choose to grind out XP on your own. An IOS Shenmue is the only compromise I would accept. A remake or anything not directly involving Suzuki-San would suck hard and I would flat out reject it.
Hazuk-Ku
Banned
Banned

PSN: snakeeyez59
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Virtua Fighter 5 Final Sh

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:41 am

Hazuk-Ku wrote: A remake, huh? You mean like the Golden Axe remake that Sega in 2008 that sucked so bad? .

I mean a HD remake, something like Jet Set Radio HD.
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Previous

Return to Shenmue III