What TV series are you watching?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What TV series are you watching?

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Sat May 11, 2013 11:52 am

Watched six episodes of Game of Thrones so far. Series 1 of Rome musta set a pretty high benchmark, since GoTs isn't enthralling me to stick the next episode on ASAP as much as I'd hoped. Pretty sure it's gonna get better and more "epic" soon though, will still happily watch it anyway.
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat May 11, 2013 4:52 pm

^Game of Thrones Season 1 is a slow burner. Very slow, in fact. It isn't until the final two episodes when things get very interesting, imo. I didn't think much of the series myself initially. Season 1 is really the prologue which sets the stage for what's to come. Season 2 is much faster paced and Season 3 is amazing.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Master Kyodai » Sun May 12, 2013 6:12 am

Started watching Revolution, but stopped after 5 episodes. Just couldn't stand that kind of "Swords and sandals" feeling to it and imho the main characters are not that awesome actors. I liked the fat google guy though.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Sun May 12, 2013 6:48 am

Henry Spencer wrote: ^Game of Thrones Season 1 is a slow burner. Very slow, in fact. It isn't until the final two episodes when things get very interesting, imo. I didn't think much of the series myself initially. Season 1 is really the prologue which sets the stage for what's to come. Season 2 is much faster paced and Season 3 is amazing.

Yep, just got done with the season, the dragons got me interested (the fact that Daenerys was also stood there completely naked didn't hurt at all, either). :)

I'd forgotten how addictive powerwatching TV series could be. :D
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sun May 12, 2013 3:15 pm

First episode of The Wire is not bad. Need to see more.

Personally while everyone is waiting for the Walking Deads and the Breaking Bads, I'm waiting for season two of The Newsroom.

Now THAT to me is the best show on TV right now. Every episode has spectacular writing and actually goes somewhere, not to mention the characters are awesome. And its been that way since the very beginning of episode one, none of this "you have to wait until season four before it gets good" nonsense.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Bambi » Sun May 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Kenny wrote: First episode of The Wire is not bad. Need to see more.

Definitely.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby mue 26 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:23 pm

Anyone else watched Banshee? The violence is a bit gratuitous for me, but the characters are so good.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Nagakura » Sat May 18, 2013 3:36 pm

I dont watch TV as much as I used to but....

How I Met Your Mother
Blood +
Ghost Adventures
Nagakura
Asia Travel Representative

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Sun May 19, 2013 1:34 pm

Up to speed on Game of Thrones now, so just a matter of waiting for each new episode to come out now. Even though it disappointed a bit, I am now thoroughly into it.

Started watching The Wire, first two episodes. Can already tell I'm gonna like it. :D

St. Elmo's Fire has received 2 thanks from: Bambi, Kenny
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun May 19, 2013 3:57 pm

Been enjoying Vegas but have just found out that its already been canned after just 1 season so a show that was doing a good job of building its foundations had to then quickly wrap everything up.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby js3 » Sun May 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Big fan of Game Of Thrones. Haven't seen series 3 of Walking Dead. Love any Attenborough documentaries.

S1 & 2 of Black Mirror were enjoyable. It's a UK series about the darker side of modernity and technology. Only 3 episodes in each series, but each is stand-alone and high concept... very dark, blackly humorous and thought-provoking. The first episode featured a kidnapper who had taken a member of the royal family hostage, and would only release her if the Prime Minister had sex with a pig (yes, you read that right) on live television.

Only recently started watching Breaking Bad, but I'm already half into season 3. It's the best TV series I've probably ever seen... the acting is extraordinary, the plots, style, writing, character development, moral questioning, suspense... everything is top-notch. A masterpiece.

It started off brilliantly and gets better and better. The metacritic ratings for Season 5 (99%) speak for themselves.

Best TV decision I've ever made was deciding to order the first series with a lovefilm free pass \:D/

js3 has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
js3

Currently playing: Just finished S2 (again)

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon May 20, 2013 11:49 am

Black Mirror, someone else told me about that recently (the live pig fucking bit in particular!) IRL, darkly humorous UK things interest me...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby js3 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:35 am

Ha, yeah. I almost thought it was a joke when I saw the episode summary. Here are the other 5 episodes...

15 Million Merits
The second episode is a satire on entertainment shows and our insatiable thirst for distraction set in a sarcastic version of a future reality. In this world, everyone is confined to a life of strange physical drudgery.The only way to escape this life is to enter the 'Hot Shot' talent show and pray you can impress the judges.

The Entire History Of You
In the near future, everyone has access to a memory implant that records everything they do, see and hear - a sort of Sky Plus for the brain. You need never forget a face again... but is that always a good thing?

Be Right Back
Martha and Ash are a young couple who move to a remote cottage. The day after the move, Ash is killed, returning the hire van. At the funeral, Martha's friend Sarah tells her about a new service that lets people stay in touch with the deceased. By using all his past online communications and social media profiles, a new 'Ash' can be created. Martha is disgusted by the concept but then in a confused and lonely state she decides to talk to 'him'...

White Bear
Victoria wakes up and cannot remember anything about her life. Everyone she encounters refuses to communicate with her and enjoys filming her discomfort on their phones. Victoria meets Jem, who explains that a signal is being transmitted that has turned most of the population into dumb voyeurs. This apathy has allowed the unaffected, the 'hunters', to do what they want and they are out to get people like her and Victoria. Jem and Victoria set out to destroy the transmitter, but can they manage it and will it end their torment?

The Waldo Moment
Meet Waldo... a CGI blue bear from a children's educational TV show who in reality is an anarchic character on a satirical late-night topical comedy show. Behind the scenes, Waldo is voiced and controlled by failed comedian Jamie Salter. When the channel decide they would like to give Waldo his own pilot, the production company enter him into a political race against one of his victims, Conservative Liam Monroe, for a stunt. Jamie isn't comfortable with politics - he just sees himself as a clown - but once the wheels start turning there's no stopping the thing. So what can Jamie do?

Well worth checking out. Hopefully they'll make a third series.
js3

Currently playing: Just finished S2 (again)

Postby Sonikku » Tue May 21, 2013 7:55 pm

I figured I'd give Sailor Moon another look all these years later now that I have broadband and can simply download the Japanese original with English subtitles. Good lord, it's like a completely different show! :lol: Some of the characters are blatantly gay, the villain has a sick sexual fetish for the guy the heroine is in love with and the deaths in hindsight were all enormously downplayed in the US dub or cut out altogether. Seriously, some of the episodes were cut in twain, spliced together with completely different episodes and bastardized with completely different watered down dialogue leaving the viewer with an entirely different take on some instances of the plot. The soundtracks used in the background and their cues is also entirely different, often representing far better artistic pacing and timing in relation to what is going on in the screen. It's like comparing Batman the animated series to Adam West 60's Batman. They might both be shows aimed at kids, but what they accomplish is completely different.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Nagakura » Wed May 22, 2013 11:21 pm

With so much that I've been missing in recent years Im watching Supernatural from the beginning leading up to the new ninth season coming in the fall.
Nagakura

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic