The Game Of Thrones TV topic

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: The Game Of Thrones TV topic

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed May 15, 2013 4:05 am

Calshot

Yeah the domino effect is at risk at this point.

Its believed her mother was slipping her moon tea the whole time to stop her from getting pregnant and she was defiantly in on it.

IF The Blackfish takes Umbers place it could mean they simply cut out the negotiation for Riverrun in season 5/6? But i really wish they hadn't just cut Umber. I mean that have not mentioned him once in 2 seasons to say if he was sent elsewhere or killed off screen.

The look on Jamie's face when he was called Sir was a really good moment.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Wed May 15, 2013 4:01 pm

Calshot wrote: @WRC?
Book spoilers
I think I remember reading Jeyne's mother was a part of the scheming involved behind the RW. If Roose Change doesn't pan out, I don't know what the showrunners are going to do with Talisa outside of having her die in the RW (taking Dacey's place perhaps?).

If they have Blackfish take the Greatjon's place, who is going to hold Riverrun when Jaime Goldenhand goes to negotiate?

@St. Elmo's Fire
If you think it's hard to keep track now, it's going to get even worse the next two seasons, assuming the showrunners don't drastically change anything.

Dany will be dealing with a bunch of people named "Skahaz mo Kandaq" or something similar and there'll be another great house thrown into the mix.

I really should shut up in this topic and just wait until I've caught up. ;-) :lol: Since episodes that end frustratingly are usually given some resolution and/or more clarity in the next one...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat May 18, 2013 9:22 am

phpBB [video]

:lol:
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Sat May 18, 2013 11:37 am

That scene where he was literally bollock-naked was quite unexpected...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon May 20, 2013 5:21 pm

Very good episode and hello Sam the Slayer!

Loved the wedding feast and Turner has really comer on as an actress over the years.
Also really liked the scene with Stannis and Davos and the leaches :)

Sucks we have to wait 2 weeks for episode 9.

phpBB [video]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon May 20, 2013 5:46 pm

Enjoyed that episode. How fucking rude was that Second Sons captain!? :lol:

Looks like we'll be seeing Ser Barristan Selmy swing a sword in anger at last next episode, he'd better be bloody good since he's got quite the reputation and is held in very high regard by most of the other skilled swordsmen of the show. Can't help but think it's gonna end up being painful for Ser Jorah, he looked a bit rusty when he fought the Dothraki grunt before...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Calshot » Mon May 20, 2013 6:13 pm

Book spoilers
I wonder if they're going to have Coldhands appear soon.

2 weeks for the Roose to be Loose.

I hope we get to see Barristan the Bold in action. In his prime he was arguably the best swordsman in Westeros. In season 1, when he was dismissed from Kingsguard, I totally believed him when he said he could cut down all the other guards like it was nothing.

To be fair, that Dothraki Jorah fought was one of Drogo's best guys.

I was a bit unsure with how the showrunnners were treating Stannis in the beginning of the season, but it looks they're doing him justice.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon May 20, 2013 6:23 pm

IIRC Jorah was going through a "drinking" phase at that time too?

Stannis's storyline is interesting, I agree. I am also glad that he spared Davos the Onion Knight, he's one of the few "straight" characters on the show, IMO...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon May 20, 2013 6:29 pm

Well, at least Jorah's better than his father ever was. In the books, the Dothraki are incredibly tough to beat.

Barristan Selmy, Gregor Clegane, Tywin Lannister, Roose Bolton & The Hound are the five you do not want to fuck with if you were a character in this series. All 5 of them are a force to be reckoned with. Jaime Lannister & Eddard Stark are two others who used to be top tier fighters (fans to this day still argue that Jaime is possibly the best swordsman in the series; in the books he and others claims he can beat Ned Stark, both The Hound & Gregor Clegane, Stannis, his own father in his prime etc the list goes on). I also think that the likes of Bronn and Brienne are underrated fighters.

Davos is very likeable, but I think there's plenty of others too like Jorah (flawed as he is), Tyrion, the Stark children (aside from Jon Snow and Robb Stark; they're a law unto themselves) etc. I find the grey characters the most ineresting myself, though. And on the other side of the spectrum, the dark characters. Goodness only knows what's happening to Theon now, although the last time we saw him was the most gruelling scene he will probably go through...or maybe not, that torturer is fucking insane. Like, off the scale crazy. And he probably isn't satisfied yet with what he's done up to this point. Makes you wonder when he will have had enough?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon May 20, 2013 7:32 pm

Yeah that was quite uncomfy viewing. Some pretty good acting by the psycho, though.

Good that you brought the badass topic up, since I was gonna do so myself. I was talking to a guy at work who loves the show about it too. I honestly think, of the fighters seen in action, Sandor "Hound" Clegane is the one most likely to win. As well as being huge and powerful, he's pretty quick and is a skilled knight. When his even-bigger brother attacks Loras Tyrell (after chopping his horse's head off!), who himself is quite a well regarded swordsman, at the joust, Hound smacks him down pretty quickly. At the "trial by combat" in the Brotherhood without Banners den, once he'd stopped being scared of the fire the other guy never really stood a chance. When the crowd attacked the Royals, he lopped many necks wide open in the space of about seven seconds. Jaime proved himself during his fight on Ned Stark and his man who got knifed through the eye. Brienne seemed incredibly powerful (she also knocked Loras about without much apparent effort), pity her story seemed to burn out a bit, would have been nice to see her really go kill some bastards. Bronn is capable and dangerous, but I think if he had pulled the knife on the Hound like he was about to just before the battle, he (Bronn) would have been beheaded fairly shortly afterwards.

Interesting you say that about Jorah's dad, we didn't see him fight much, but as Lord Commander of the night watch, a band of men whom the veterans are hardy and dangerous men, wouldn't he have been an extremely accomplished warrior by default? He is dead now, of course, but that was a traitor that did that...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Mon May 20, 2013 11:52 pm

Tyrion is the fucking man.

Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue May 21, 2013 3:16 am

Jeor Mormont's a bit of a tough bastard in the books. Not one of the best combat fighters but damn tough and he was done pretty well in the show. Stabbed in the back and was just about to kill the guy with 1 hand before he died.

Ned stark was an odd one mainly because he always undersold himself but he more than handled Jamie in season 1 IMO and of course we don't know who would win because the guard interfering.

Jamie is regarded the best in the land before he lost the hand but even he says 3 people might have stood a chance.

Selmy was great and could still kill with ease when it comes to most people.

The Hound is a tough fighter as is Gregor but he suffers from being rather hot tempered but still not someone you want to fuck with.

Bronn's sort of the dark horse to most because he would probably be the dirtiest fighter out of all of these but the guy is very quick so if he had pulled that dagger out on the Hound? I don't think the Hound would have been quick enough to stop him.

Stannis i just love and i really want to see him on the Iron Throne when this is done but i just have that feeling that George will kill him off :cry:

Calshot

Me to, lack of Coldhands was the only small disappointment of the episode and apart of me worries they will have the Crows lead Sam to Bran rather than him which would be a bit :???: Unless of course they hold him off till S4 and have him simply meet Bran beyond the wall?
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Tue May 21, 2013 11:54 am

This is why I want to see Selmy actually be a badass soon. ;-) There are all these other skilled fighters which we have seen fighting already, and he is portrayed as being something a bit more, even by some of those others. I thought it was quite telling that one of the only times (on the TV series) that Ned was openly respectful of someone, it was to Selmy (he was pretty dismissive of Jaime as well, saying he fought "too many easy opponents", though swording the former king in the back will probably never sit well with men of power like Ned Stark). Even the dark Lord Tywin Lannister, who says even less complimentary things about anyone, thought they'd made a bad move by getting rid of Selmy. Though his honourable character no doubt impresses men of that calibre as much as his fighting game...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue May 21, 2013 2:37 pm

And if you think about it, Joffrey is so stupid, he has driven off both The Hound and Barristan Selmy, two of the most formidable opponents in the series. It's not like he'll care, being the idiot that he is, but Tywin Lannister, as brilliant as he is, can only do so much, so if either of them two come knocking, Joffrey is in big trouble.

Thing with Ned is, he's always hated Jaime, but Jaime fought against the "Sandor Clegance" equivalent back in his youth and bested him. He was only known as "The Smiling Knight" but was incredibly powerful, killing unknown numbers of knights on all sides. http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Smiling_Knight

Bronn really is the dark horse, think back to when he saved Tyrion when they first met, he fought a fully armoured veteran warrior of House Stark with no shield or armour. His opponents always seem to underestimate him.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Tue May 21, 2013 2:58 pm

Pondering, how well would Arya's "Dancing Master" have done, if had he ditched the wooden sword and was fully kitted up? (though I get the feeling he'd be a light armour user, rather than Knight it up in heavy plate)...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic