Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

Postby Shendream » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:26 am

Thanks Kenji :)

As promised, our second interview of Yu Suzuki during the Monaco Animé Game Show is now available:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgbkkLIT ... ZKyL5hoNCA

phpBB [video]
Last edited by Shendream on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Shendream has received 10 thanks from: Axm, gabril, Giorgio, japalp, Kiyuu, mue 26, Nankeiro, Rakim, The_Intruder, wude
Shendream
Shenmue Master Staff
Shenmue Master Staff

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:45 am

Great interview! Thanks so much for this. There were some real nice tidbits I haven't heard before.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby gabril » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:06 am

Thanks for this interview!! :D
gabril
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Europa Universalis4

Postby mue 26 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:52 am

Great interview Kenji, many thanks!

That Zhu Yuanda answer made me laugh, I think he might have just been making up that description :lol:

He also once again mentions his desire to "obtain the Shenmue License from Sega".
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby japalp » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:42 am

Thank you for this great interview!
japalp
Dojo Actuary
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Breath of the Wild

Postby The_Intruder » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:03 pm

It was about time we got the interview. Shenmue III really needs to come one day. My favorite part of the interview is when Yu talks about Niao Sun.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Hazuki Legend » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:59 am

This was a very good interview, i feel like Suzuki opened up as much as he could with the exception of Zhu Yuanda answer. I also enjoyed hearing him speak of Niao San, i reckon she really will be a nasty piece of work.
Hazuki Legend
Est. 1989
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: Dan Whale 89

Postby Axm » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:51 pm

Amazing interview. Honestly probably the best in years, probably ever. Very good work.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Nankeiro » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:46 pm

It's so great to finally be able to watch this material. Wonderful work! And thank you!
Nankeiro
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Giorgio » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:41 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: I can only guess from the preview frame that one of Yu's jokes during the presentation was to take credit for breaking up the Soviet Union. Well, I say "jokes," but I'd be willing to believe it's true.

A part of the slide (of which we care) is:
1991 The Soviet Union dissolved
1992 Virtua Racing______Model1
1993 Virtua Fighter
_________________ Model2(TexMap)
1994 Virtua Fighter 2

I think the following is why Yu Suzuki is mentioning so boldly the dissolve of the Soviet Union!

JM: Which was your favorite technology to work on of all the hardware at Sega?

YS: There isn't really a favorite but the hardware we used for Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter 2 are the most memorable to me -- the Model 1 and Model 2 boards. It was the first hardware capable of 3D graphics, and I was involved in its development from the drawing board. The chip used in the Model 2 came from military equipment from Lockheed Martin, which was formerly General Electric Aerial & Space's textural mapping technology. It cost $2 million dollars to use the chip. It was part of flight-simulation equipment that cost $32 million. I asked how much it would cost to buy just the chip and they came back with $2 million. And I had to take that chip and convert it for video game use, and make the technology available for the consumer at 5,000 yen ($50) per console or else nobody would buy the hardware. But I did it. And because I was able to do that we were able to put textures on the Virtua Fighter 2 characters.

JM: Was it difficult to have these discussions with Lockheed Martin at the time? They were used to working on military contracts, and not with video game developers.

YS: It was very difficult. They told me they'd make it cheap, but their concept of making it cheap is selling it for a tenth of the price, which is still $200,000. Of course, Sega's president wanted it for $50. If you spend $2 million in development to make one chip, the cost is $2 million per chip. But, if you sell 2 million consoles, that's $1.00 per chip.

So it was tough but we were able to make it for 5,000 yen. Nobody at Sega believed me when I said I wanted to purchase this technology for our games. At the time GE Aerial & Space, CRC, and Evans and Sutherland were the three major companies with virtual simulator technology. And the USSR had collapsed and the government wasn't spending money like they used to on military equipment, and so these companies had to find other avenues of revenue.

[Source: http://www.1up.com/features/disappearan ... r.offset=2]

Giorgio has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Previous

Return to News and Updates