How do you imagine the final fight between Lan Di and Ryo?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: How do you imagine the final fight between Lan Di and Ry

Postby RyoHazuki84 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:50 am

Somewhere along the lines of the last fight in Fist of Legend between Jet Li and the Japanese General. Something that bad ass.
RyoHazuki84
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby CharAznable » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:39 am

After playing through both games so many times over the years i have never felt the natural outcome of the series would be revenge. Just in the chapters covered Ryo begins to develop away from that. The first game has him adamantly hunting down Lan Di in a fit of rage and emotion, and by the end of the second game it felt like Ryo was already coming to understand that Lan Di may have very well have lost his father in a similar fashion to how Ryo lost his own, and that it was becoming a viscous cycle of malice and revenge. And that he was carrying on simply to get to the bottom of the relationship between his father and Zhao Suming, and to discover the secret of the mirrors.

I personally do not believe a fighting ending would be essential or appropriate to end the story on. Think about the behavior of Lan Di, he showed absolutely no interest in Ryo in the games, he seemed like he simply did not feel a need for confrontation or has a use for Ryo and is allowing him to blindly follow him. At the beginning of the game he kills your father in front of you and uses you as a bargaining piece to get at your father, but leaves you alive when he could have easily killed you. Lan Di could have also easily prevented you from ruining his plans on top of the Yellow Head Building. He had more than enough skill and strength to lay out everyone there and then some especially had he stepped in when Don Niu was still awake. But instead he just leaves glaring at you from the helicopter. The only time Lan Di comes after Ryo is if you take way to long to complete the games, but i feel that was more than likely in the games simply because only so much time was planned and laid out in game, going beyond that point would of messed up the dates in the plot line, or caused issues within the actual game itself in the AI or something.

But i feel like some kind of conflict, be it a fight or a verbal confrontation will occur, i just do not see Ryo attempting to kill Lan Di in the end. Or maybe they would simply give you two paths as to how to end the game, fall down the path of evil like Xiuying had warned her brother had by killing him, or simply prevent whatever crisis from happening at the end of the game, leaving Lan Di to live, and go to America to find Nozomi if she does not get drug into the fight somehow by the Chi You Men.

I wish i could actually see in some form what Yu had planned out all these years ago.

CharAznable has received a thanks from: KiBa
CharAznable
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Steam: QuattroBajeena
Currently playing: Shenmue Forever

Postby Sonikku » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:19 pm

Ryo trains for years and years to become the perfect killing machine and finally confronts Lan Di. They battle for 5 days and 5 nights until their bodies become hopelessly mangled. With their minds still sharp but their bodies broken, the battle escalates into an Arcade where their battle continues in the form of a game of wits in Hang On and Space Harrier. (This is the part where you realize why Ryo had to play all those games up until now throughout the entire saga, to prepare himself for this moment) Ryo's Hang On skills in the end prove superior and Lan Di grudgingly admits defeat.

Before dying from getting served however, he reveals the two Mirrors are actually in fact an old Chinese time machine. Ryo looks in the mirror and sees that after the years he spent training, HE is in fact the original Iwao and looks just like him. Resigning himself to his fate, Ryo makes the best of a bad situation by snagging a Sega Saturn video game system and some bitchin' Virtua Fighter posters from the 90's before finally heading back to the 80's to sustain the timeline.

Sonikku has received 2 thanks from: Axm, KiBa
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby nskachu » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:41 am

Fuku-san is forced to fight ryo. otherwise lan di would steal his virtua fighter posters
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with feelings

Postby wude » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:04 am

ryo will kick landi's butt somewhere near bailu village after a long fight including all sort of QTEs

wude has received a thanks from: Who Really Cares?
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby Calshot » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:06 pm

Ryo pulls out his gun and shoots Lan Di. Then Ryo rides off into the sunset on his bicycle.

Calshot has received a thanks from: redline
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby mike177 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:18 am

Ryo will fight Lan Di. On the moon.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar0KojxIvmQ[/youtube]
mike177
Asia Travel Representative

Postby fishscientist » Thu May 23, 2013 6:58 pm

According to Xuiying, Ryo is already on the wrong path and I highly doubt Ryo will die. Maybe Ziming though.
fishscientist
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri May 24, 2013 4:04 pm

X X A -> Y -> <- B A X <- B Y <- <-
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby TheTimeRanger » Sun May 26, 2013 8:36 am

Come on guys, there is only one way Ryo and Lan Di can settle this... One epic battle of Lucky Hit :lol:
TheTimeRanger
Dojo Designer
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: The_TimeRanger
XBL: TheTimeRanger

Postby JohnnyBravo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:24 pm

Suzuki has admitted that Shenmue has been inspired by a lot of Japanese books and movies as well as western movies from Disney to Steven Spielberg. With that in mind I envision that the final battle will be almost a replica of George Lucas' Return of the Jedi. The big puppet master in S3 will be unveiled to be Tentei, the 'Heavenly Emperor' and in the words of Suzuki "the big boss" - implying that he is the final boss to be fought. What I think may happen is that Tentei (the 'emperor' like in Star Wars) would have lured Ziming and Lan Di onto the 'evil path/dark side' with a view to luring in Ryo after noting his excellent skill and potential. He would tempt Ryo to repeat the cycle of revenge and trap himself onto the evil path by 'striking down' Lan Di. Ryo and Lan Di would fight with Lan Di enticing rage in Ryo, but Ryo would ultimately be trying to stop the fight and fight back in self-defence. Ryo may beat Lan Di to a pummel but then realise that revenge is not the way, turning his attention to Tentei. Lan Di would then realise he has been played on by his own desire for revenge and treason against Tentei. Tentei would then be the final boss - a big sacrifice of some kind may need to happen, either Lan Di kills himself to spare Ryo or vice versa. That's my idea anyway.
JohnnyBravo

Postby elfshadowreaper » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:45 pm

I never thought about Lan Di in this way, but JohnnyBravo, your post got me thinking...

I think Lan Di could be one of those characters I always see in anime where they're a good villain and you hate their guts but at some point they either snap out of their villainous ways(usually due to the protagonist's hard effort at accomplishing his goals or whatever). Then you'll see them change into an awesome ally. His goals may or may not actually change though. It may be he keeps his goals while also acknowledging the goal of the protagonist or he sees his goals are foolish and abandons them. The only thing that holds that theory back from me really getting on board is that he killed Ryo's father and that'd be hard to get past.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby JohnnyBravo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:15 pm

Its a possibility. Lan Di may have pursued a similar course of revenge as Ziming but stumbled upon Tentei and was lured into the evil path by spending years in his instruction. There could be room to believe that he could still be good but is being manipulated, or he could be too far gone to be redeemed. For Lan Di's fate: he could be redeemed after seeing the moral strength that Ryo has and learning that he himself killing Iwao for revenge for his own father's death was a weakness encouraged by Tentei and that Ryo is the better man, or he could continue on the evil path resulting in his demise as the man of weaker moral virtue.
JohnnyBravo

Previous

Return to Shenmue III