Platinum Games would like to become 2nd party of Nintendo

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Platinum Games would like to become 2nd party of Nintendo

Postby Bluecast » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:23 pm

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/29/ ... 101-sequel

Not that anything will come of this but kinda surprising when I thought they would not want to be restricted by a parent like Capcom. If this did happen be good for Nintendo of course but I kinda like how their games are on everything and eliminate any chance of them doing a Metal Gear Rising sequel. Still this raises the possibility Nintendo has done it before and has the cash if they wanted.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: Platinum Games would like to become 2nd party of Nintend

Postby Kenny » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:58 pm

Ryudo wrote:and eliminate any chance of them doing a Metal Gear Rising sequel.

In that case, i'm all for it. For the greater good of humankind.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Axm
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby mue 26 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:07 pm

I liked MGS Rising :(

mue 26 has received a thanks from: Bluecast
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:10 pm

mue 26 wrote:I liked MGS Rising :(

Yea because it was great.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Kenny » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:16 pm

Had great camera headache inducing issues. And great narrative issues. And had great potential to be more than what it was.

Eh, I digress.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:24 pm

Kenny wrote: Had great camera headache inducing issues. And great narrative issues. And had great potential to be more than what it was.

Eh, I digress.

You don't really get narrative through gameplay do you? I kind of noticed that, like you totally missed what makes Metroid Prime great and think the opening to Resident Evil 6 is great. Narrative in interactive media is a whole different beast.

I'm not trying to be a dick, Its just something I notice when talking to people who get into games from film. theres some stuff you're seeing as a filmmaker that dosen't work the same way in people's minds when it comes to interactivity.

Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:54 pm

You sure like getting defensive, especially when (yet again) you're confusing facts with opinions. So I think the opening to RE6 is more entertaining than the entirety of Prime, so what? What does that say exactly? It says nothing.

And I don't get this snobby, and slightly hostile, attitude you have on filmmakers especially it has nothing to do with opinion that it's a poorly constructed story. What are you going to say to other people who are NOT filmmakers who have the same viewpoint as me? That they don't get it? That they're not true fans? Really, it's getting a little pathetic at this point.

It's like you seem to think I have to have knowledge C++ programming or something in order to be qualified to comment on the STORY of a game, which is far from the truth. I can comment on the script, the dialogue, the camera positions, and everything else that occurs in the CUTSCENES just as much as a person who just only plays games and does nothing else. You don't see me patronizing you when you comment on a film.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:12 pm

What do concepts like player agency and player gating have to do with programming? Shit, I've made it pretty clear that my first job was constructing trailers.

If you seriously think watching a person drag another person for 20 minutes is more entertaining then actually pressing buttons and having things happen, well thats on you but understanding why a group of people might enjoy actually playing a game is something different.

Do you understand narrative through gameplay? its a concept, its used by people who make games. I was mentioning that you either don't understand it or don't know what it is (made more clear by the fact that you are getting defensive by calling me a snob)

Filmmakers generally don't understand gameplay, almost 10 years of working with them making games and having them ask me questions about things like "choice" tells me this. Its not that I have a problem with filmmakers, I'd like to help them make games but I find generally I have to act as an intermediate BECAUSE they generally don't understand gameplay and focus almost exclusively on aesthetics.

I try not to really comment on films, I'm not a filmmaker I take jabs and make jokes but I won't talk about construction and pacing in em because thats not what I do. I don't expect anyone to understand this stuff, but when you make it seem like you do, and you don't I'm going to point it out. I want everyone to be able to make games, I want YOU to make a bunch of great games using your skills as someone rooted in film if you ever get the itch to, but thats why I want to make sure you understand concepts specific to interactivity, if you don't realize this other side exists (which it seems like you don't) you'll make really unbalanced games.

If you want to talk about things that are pathetic maybe snapping at someone who asked you a valid question about your understanding of a theory is pathetic.

(Final note, I don't know C++)

Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:56 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:If you seriously think watching a person drag another person for 20 minutes is more entertaining then actually pressing buttons and having things happen, well thats on you but understanding why a group of people might enjoy actually playing a game is something different.

Again, so what? Some people find enjoyment in Heavy Rain and that's pressing buttons. Some people rather play FPS games. Some people would rather play RPGS. You fail to realize different people like different things. The quality of execution is a matter of debate, there is no absolute. It's about what's right for the product (among many many other things like time, resources, manpower, ect). This is an invalid point to make.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Do you understand narrative through gameplay? its a concept, its used by people who make games. I was mentioning that you either don't understand it or don't know what it is (made more clear by the fact that you are getting defensive by calling me a snob)

Again with the attitude. "Do you understand this" "You see I don't get why so-and-so..." blah blah blah.

Half-Life plays events as you go by, Metal Gear Solid plays cutscenes, Dragon's Lair lets you interact with the cutscene as it goes on. Different methods of accomplishing a narrative. However, I am commenting on how I didn't like the story in MGR. There is nothing for me to "get" or "not get" beyond me thinking the relationships between Raiden and the antagonists could've been stronger, lead in better, carried over, and so on like Metal Gear Solid 1, 3 and even 2 before it. If you think it's absolutely perfect in every way, fine. I don't think so. And I don't have to counter with "you don't understand film rhetoric and the basics of character development " to make me feel better about myself.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Filmmakers generally don't understand gameplay, almost 10 years of working with them making games and having them ask me questions about things like "choice" tells me this. Its not that I have a problem with filmmakers, I'd like to help them make games but I find generally I have to act as an intermediate BECAUSE they generally don't understand gameplay and focus almost exclusively on aesthetics.

ONCE AGAIN, my profession has NOTHING to do with me voicing my disdain for the execution of the story. In fact, I have more issues with the camera going haywire in airtight spots which is something you don't bring up at all despite mentioning how many flaws Uncharted has (that I rarely, if at all, notice or come across).

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:I try not to really comment on films, I'm not a filmmaker I take jabs and make jokes but I won't talk about construction and pacing in em because thats not what I do. I don't expect anyone to understand this stuff, but when you make it seem like you do, and you don't I'm going to point it out. I want everyone to be able to make games, I want YOU to make a bunch of great games using your skills as someone rooted in film if you ever get the itch to, but thats why I want to make sure you understand concepts specific to interactivity, if you don't realize this other side exists (which it seems like you don't) you'll make really unbalanced games.

And i'm not either yet you act like I do. I just said I don't like the story using like, what, four words. and yet you treat it like I wrote an entire thesis on it. My opinion is that of a CUSTOMER. Not a game developer, not a fimmaker. A CONSUMER.

I would LIKE to make games one day in the future but I get the impression that you work with Hollywood hotshots who are used to making absurd demands and expect everything to be perfect in a short amount of time and get all heated when it isn't like that. No way in hell am I gonna act that way and I know people are like that in this industry too. My brother worked on levels of Thief the Dark Project back in the day and I used to comment on what levels to construct, and he and I would learn what worked and what didn't work. I wanted to start a level with Garret dropping down and fighting zombies into a well, then he'd have to swim out of there into the main cave level. I thought i'd be a killer way to start the game and have a great exciting first impression with the gamer. My brother said it couldn't be done, told him to try it anyway, turns out it didn't work based on the limitations of the tech at the time. Trial and error, we tried something else instead.

Point is, I have dabbled in game development on a minor scale. Does that change anything? Nope, it sure as hell doesn't. I can say Film Critics like Roger Ebert could've read all the books on filmmaking and even go as far as write a script, but they sure as hell don't know what it's like to experience the politics of getting a theatrical mainstream release made, so what does he know about it beyond what he consumes as a moviegoer? Yeah, I could say that...except it won't do anything except stroke my own ego. People are still gonna read his reviews and many more like him. It's also the same argument people like to put out for "true auteurs" like Goddard and Herzog to put down people who like Spielberg and Bay (god forbid I have to mention Bay but he does entertain millions of people). Who cares if Bay doesn't get character development and proper concise narrative structure? He does what he does and gets paid millions, I can cry all I want about how much wrong he's doing. People are still paying to see them 'sposions.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:If you want to talk about things that are pathetic maybe snapping at someone who asked you a valid question about your understanding of a theory is pathetic.

You were the one who got confrontational bringing in things that had nothing to do with my viewpoint. So of course i'm gonna call BS especially since you have a repeated history of doing this and sometimes I just don't say anything, so I still stand by what I said.

Anyway this is derailing the topic. This should be it's own thing.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:04 pm

Ah fuck off.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:05 pm

:mad: :-({|=
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:07 pm

If it's the only way to save Platinum, at this point, then I'm all for it. Regardless though, those sales figures for Wonderful 101 are really sad. Game looked great to me and will be my first Wii U purchase (when I eventually get one).

And come on, argue all you want, but keep it civil.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:14 pm

Its to a point where Kenny is making a lot of assumptions and trying to misread what I'm saying, so he can fuck off. Especially with the business of "Repeat offenders" and bein "Pathetic"

Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:47 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: Its to a point where Kenny is making a lot of assumptions and trying to misread what I'm saying, so he can fuck off. Especially with the business of "Repeat offenders" and bein "Pathetic"

That speaks volumes about you. I thought you were kidding but if you're serious, then me calling you out seems more appropriate now.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:09 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: If it's the only way to save Platinum, at this point, then I'm all for it. Regardless though, those sales figures for Wonderful 101 are really sad. Game looked great to me and will be my first Wii U purchase (when I eventually get one).

And come on, argue all you want, but keep it civil.

Sad thing is it's all on Nintendo as they never show an ad for it at all. Does Nintendo even know TV exists? Nintendo never heard of tv and MS just discovered it and Sony is the one going..Yeah I know about TV..so what want to fight about it...

Also lol at Kenny
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Next

Return to General Gaming