Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:34 pm

During a design meeting for Beatdown City the subject of money came up. At which point shawn made the best point ever on the subject.

"People treat games are like Milli Vanilli, but they need to realize they're like Wu-Tang"

I just realized some people might not get that comparison.

Milli Vanilli made a lot of money off one song, but it was found that they were just a big scam. Thats what a lot of companies are trying to get away with, they're trying to just keep cutting cost and dressing the product up as much as they can, this is where we get tons of mobile games or stuff thats like 3 hours long but has amazing visuals.

Wu-tang has a fucking story, those who don't know it should pick up "The Tao of Wu" great book about what its like growing up in NY, but to keep it short a group of teenagers does a ton of work and takes risks (like laundering money for gangs) to try and make it big, and as a group was massively successful, and each member of the group was massively successful.

Its basically a story of making a quick buck against putting everything you have into your creative work. Making as much money as possible in as short amount of time isn't actually what the goal should be, but instead building something can sustain itself and constantly providing a service.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Kenny
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:51 pm

Milli Vanilli could get away with it today considering how all pop stars today are pretty much manufactured...even if not their real voices. They alter some pop singers voices anyway.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:12 pm

Possibly, but my goal is to be the Ghostface Killah of NuChallenger. To me money is NOT the point of my business, but rather means to an ends. Having money means I can do what I want, but if having more of it means not paying people, or shitting out something that will hurt my brand I won't do it.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:25 pm

I don't know what ghostface is but going to assume a rapper. That said It sounds a lot like Inafune,Kamiya and others after leaving large corps and it's cool. Indie games are much more important to the industry right now than some of these multi billion $ places. So many have forgotten what got them to that point(Capcom is the prime example)

You guys may become another Wayforward(as they are now)
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:38 pm

Ghostface tends to be the most emotional member of Wu-Tang (which is a rap group). I try to do the same things with my games that he does with his music, which is provide a somewhat silly allegorical theme to an emotion and serious subject.

But yea, most of yesterdays great creators are going into business for themselves because the larger corporations are falling apart.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:52 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: During a design meeting for Beatdown City the subject of money came up. At which point shawn made the best point ever on the subject.

"People treat games are like Milli Vanilli, but they need to realize they're like Wu-Tang"

I just realized some people might not get that comparison.

Milli Vanilli made a lot of money off one song, but it was found that they were just a big scam. Thats what a lot of companies are trying to get away with, they're trying to just keep cutting cost and dressing the product up as much as they can, this is where we get tons of mobile games or stuff thats like 3 hours long but has amazing visuals.

Wu-tang has a fucking story, those who don't know it should pick up "The Tao of Wu" great book about what its like growing up in NY, but to keep it short a group of teenagers does a ton of work and takes risks (like laundering money for gangs) to try and make it big, and as a group was massively successful, and each member of the group was massively successful.

Its basically a story of making a quick buck against putting everything you have into your creative work. Making as much money as possible in as short amount of time isn't actually what the goal should be, but instead building something can sustain itself and constantly providing a service.

I was just having this discussion the other day. Nothing about Milli Vanilli or Wu Tang but the fact you have to think of the long-term. You COULD make lots of money now ("Easy Come, Easy Go") but I rather have something that makes an income in the long term.

Interestingly, RZA in particular is a writer/director/actor and only just recently made it making big time features. But he branched out, experimented, and found out what works for him.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Thief » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:32 pm

So I bought Sega Mega Collection with the sole purpose of playing Ristar... and here's all the shit I have to do to unlock it.

Blue Sphere: Play Sonic 1 and Sonic 3D Blast 20 times each, or go to the games menu with a Phantasy Star Online Episode 1&2 save file on your memory card.

Knuckles in Sonic 2: Play Sonic 2 and Sonic Spinball 20 times each.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Play Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles 20 times each.

Flicky: Play Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine 30 times, or go to the games menu with a Sonic Adventure 2: Battle save file on your memory card.

Ristar: Play Blue Sphere, Knuckles in Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and Flicky 30 times each.

Sooooooooo annoying.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:42 pm

Thief wrote: So I bought Sega Mega Collection with the sole purpose of playing Ristar... and here's all the shit I have to do to unlock it.

Blue Sphere: Play Sonic 1 and Sonic 3D Blast 20 times each, or go to the games menu with a Phantasy Star Online Episode 1&2 save file on your memory card.

Knuckles in Sonic 2: Play Sonic 2 and Sonic Spinball 20 times each.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Play Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles 20 times each.

Flicky: Play Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine 30 times, or go to the games menu with a Sonic Adventure 2: Battle save file on your memory card.

Ristar: Play Blue Sphere, Knuckles in Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and Flicky 30 times each.

Sooooooooo annoying.

Get the one on 360 or PS3. It's right there. Nothing to unlock
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Raithos » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:25 pm

To celebrate the DC's birthday I've been playing PSO for the past few hours. It served as a reminder that PSO2 is STILL not over here. Yeah I have played with the "English patch" but it isn't as good as it sounds. Better than nothing, but you just can't fully enjoy a game like PSO2 with it not being in your native tongue. I want to play the hell out of the game and give them my money, but I can't. SEGA makes me ](*,)

Raithos has received 2 thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr., Thief
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:30 am

Do you ever play Blue Burst on SCHTHACK, Raithos? I'm always down for a game of PSO if you ever wanna do a run or something. I can also play the Gamecube SCHTHACK version online... if you can too... :P
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:02 am

I started training with Leo in Tekken after I found out Alisa was too complicated for me to get used to.

She's got alot of gaps in her fighting style which could easily be open to attack, but she's really really good because of the fact she has tons of different moves that hit in all sorts of different angles. I'm trying to get used to them all, including some combos, but so far i've been winning fine with her. I guess because so little people bother to use her, not alot of people know her style.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:27 am

Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:17 am

Its fun hearing what people think the ending of GTA 5 will be.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:29 pm

Thief wrote: Do you ever play Blue Burst on SCHTHACK, Raithos? I'm always down for a game of PSO if you ever wanna do a run or something. I can also play the Gamecube SCHTHACK version online... if you can too... :P

Nah as lame as it sounds I was playing offline lol still fun though. Purely for nostalgia yesterday. I haven't been online with my DC in about 2-3 yrs since my BBA bit the dust. Never had any luck with the dial up modem since then. But I see 29 people are online on SCHTHACK right now. I will make an account there this weekend and see what I can do about getting online. It would be awesome to make some runs!

Raithos has received a thanks from: Thief
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:19 pm

Well my Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix is on its way with art book. I found this kind of odd, amazon actually charged me sales tax, I guess cause it was actually being shipped from GA, unusual but whatever.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming