Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Axm » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:12 pm

I just downloaded Tekken Rev and im gonna give it a shot. Kenny do I have your PSN?
Im AxmShenmue
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:25 pm

JamesTeeZappa is mine. Don't think I added you.

Just be careful of the online sessions that say "Beginners Only" but have REALLY high ranks as the host. They're purely ego sessions to pulverize the new guys. Always make sure the host is a Dan rank.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Axm
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Thief » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:17 pm

All the Gen VI Pokemon that are currently known:

Thief has received a thanks from: wude
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:37 pm

Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Rakim » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:02 am

This is a really good article that everyone here should read. XSEED on the difficulties of localising Japanese games:

http://kotaku.com/getting-jrpgs-out-in-english-is-harder-than-you-think-1441094168
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby OL » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:36 am

Remember Me must be the lightest M-rated game I've ever played.
There's a tiny bit of blood on the walls or the floor every now and then when you find an area where some action must have taken place before, but it's always a very minimal amount just to get the point across. Even T-rated Uncharted has more blood than this. And on that note, the protagonist doesn't even kill anyone; she knocks the enemies out.
Someone says "fuck" a whole one time in the entire game up to the point I'm at (and I'm right near the end, I think), but even PG-13 movies are allowed a single "fuck" without being moved up to R.
And the box says something about partial nudity, but I honestly haven't found any.
Kind of confusing that this is an M-rated game. If this game is "objectionable" enough to get an M, then GTAV may as well be rated AO. Really don't see why this wasn't rated T.
Not that it matters at all, it's just an observation.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby lavrentis » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:57 am

Please can someone reccomend me some good 2 player DC games.

Like MVC2, VF3,

something not corny, where the title screen sound does not blow my head off,
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:14 am

Quake III Arena
San Francisco Rush 2049
Power Stone
Chu Chu Rocket!
House of the Dead 2
Confidential Mission
Ready2Rumble
PSO ver. 2 (it can still be played online y'know... if you're dedicated)

I only paid attention to the first line of your question as the other two were rather contradictory.

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: Axm, lavrentis
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Thief » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:43 pm

^ and Dynamite Cop!

Thief has received 2 thanks from: lavrentis, OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Raithos » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:46 pm

lavrentis wrote: Please can someone reccomend me some good 2 player DC games.

Like MVC2, VF3,

Last Blade 2
Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves
Capcom vs Snk
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
DoA2
Giga Wing
Ikaruga

The last two aren't fighting game like you asked for, but they are rediculously fun 2 player shmups that have endless replay value.

Raithos has received a thanks from: lavrentis
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby lavrentis » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Played Wipeout HD for first time in years today. Fuckk what a game
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Thief » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:09 am

My Pokémon themed 3DS :)

All ready for this saturday!

Thief has received a thanks from: wude
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:05 am

What the honest fuck?
http://www.vg247.com/2013/07/10/remembe ... -of-nilin/
I may just be talking to myself on this one (not really sure how many people here have even played Remember Me), and it's an old article anyway, but what the hell is this writer on about? She says she was so excited for Remember Me initially because it was going to feature "an arse-kicking, sexy but not sexualised female protagonist," yet she was ultimately disappointed because Nilin (the game's protagonist) turned out just as sexualized as every other female videogame hero. She complains because the camera seemingly always contains a shot of Nilin's butt. She complains because in the promotional artwork, she's just standing there, supposedly unlike every male videogame protagonist in the world, who are always shown in action (oh yeah, they're never just standing there...). She complains because the game begins with Nilin as a damsel in distress, dressed in a "sexy" outfit after an "invasive medical procedure." She complains because for the whole game, Nilin is being told what to do by a male voice over the radio, essentially just doing what a man tells her to.
She claims that the whole thing made he feel "gross" and "red-faced with discomfort."

Fucking seriously?

Back here on the sane side of reality, I was struck the whole time by just how unsexualized Nilin was portrayed. Not that she's an unattractive character by any means; she's obviously supposed to be pretty. But nothing about the game was titillating in the least. She struck me as being very much along the lines of Faith from Mirror's Edge; a much more respectful representation of a female videogame protagonist than we usually see.
The constant "butt shots" that this writer complains about are just shots with Nilin in them. The fact that her completely clothing-covered ass is in every shot is a result of it being, y'know... attached to Nilin. I don't think that's much different from, say, Nate from Uncharted, or 47 in Hitman. I'm pretty sure their asses were in a lot of shots too. Just like their heads. And their torsos. And their hands.
The game begins with Nilin unable to help herself (as a "damsel in distress") because she's just had her memory completely wiped clean (that supposed "invasive medical procedure" that was mentioned). None of this is playing with the fact that she's female at all; the exact same things could happen with a male protagonist. In fact, in the exact same scene, there are a multitude of men ahead of her having the same procedure done on them.
And the writer of that article is seriously trying to complain that this is some kind of demeaning "sexy" outfit meant to get male gamers salivating like dogs? What, because her lanky, slightly-too-long arms are showing? Even though all the men in the opening scene are wearing the same damn thing?
And whining that for the whole game, Nilin is being told what to do by a male voice over the comms... really? How is this something to whine about? The fact that there's a character who tells you what your next objective is? This is degrading to women somehow?

It's absolutely mind-numbing how people these days can actually choose to be offended by things.
I was actually impressed by the way the game did nothing to demean women whatsoever. Nilin isn't old-school Lara Croft. She isn't shoving her tits in your face or fighting tigers while wearing a bikini. She's exactly what the preview footage and info indicated her to be; an independent, self-sufficient, skull-cracking woman. In fact, there are a number of female characters in high positions of power throughout the story, and not a single one of them is sexualized or portrayed as a "same-old" Lara Croft or Princess Toadstool stereotype.
It's hilarious that here I was applauding developer Dontnod for this, and yet here's some cringy, miserable internet personality complaining in the exact opposite direction, in ways that only someone looking for something to bitch about would resort to.
I think this is why I usually steer clear of gaming "news" site these days. So much idiot-fueled editorial nonsense.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:20 pm

^online feminazi activists will find faults in anything, best to just ignore them at this point. but hey I can understand, it's easier to combat "virtual sexism" to gain attention rather than actually taking a risk trying to help real women rights in places like Afghanistan and Sudan. who cares if women are having their vaginas ritually mutilated across the world and sold in to marriage before they hit 10, what's more important is that we stop female video game characters from wearing tight jeans :nice!:

south carmain has received 4 thanks from: Calshot, MiTT3NZ, OL, St. Elmo's Fire
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby OL » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:54 pm

:lol: Had me loling.

I'm just confused by what the writer seriously wants out of a female protagonist. If one were to "fix" all the things she has a problem with, it'd make for just about the least-entertaining game character ever made.
Even more confused by one of the comments in the link, saying something about an implied rape somewhere in the game. Aside from a single sequence where you pass through what appears to be a love-bot brothel, there are no sexual themes in the game at all. It's pretty damn clean, all things considered. Like I said earlier in the topic, I still don't even know why it was rated M and not T.
OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming