Giving up smoking

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Giving up smoking

Postby QWERTY » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:29 am

Ok, so I've *seriously* given this a bash once before about 6 or 7 years ago and I managed 3 months by completely cutting everything out and going cold turkey. I've now been free of smoking fags (rollies) for two weeks now and I'm really struggling. I don't have any physical cravings, it's just the mental shit. Y'know? A conversation ends... go for a fag. Finish a meal... go for a fag. Get tanked up with your friends... have a plethora of fags. After spending nearly half of my life doing something so inherently habitual, how the fuck do I replace it? ARRRRGGHHHHH!
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Re: Giving up smoking

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:36 am

You expect help for your treachery? Just try finding new/different habits. Chewing gum, fiddling with a small object that clicks, like one of those clicky pens. Eat more. Fuck, get a Game Boy or summat and catch a Pokemon every time you want a cig. We're creatures of habit, so all you need to do is replace one with another. Or several. Not all will stick, but the more you try, the more likely it is that at least one will.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby QWERTY » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:37 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: You expect help for your treachery? Just try finding new/different habits. Chewing gum, fiddling with a small object that clicks, like one of those clicky pens. Eat more. Fuck, get a Game Boy or summat and catch a Pokemon every time you want a cig. We're creatures of habit, so all you need to do is replace one with another. Or several. Not all will stick, but the more you try, the more likely it is that at least one will.

I don't like Pokemon.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:45 am

Exactly. That's why you enslave them and lock them up in a ball for the entirety of their existence.

MiTT3NZ has received 4 thanks from: nskachu, TwiceFriedRice, wude, Yokosuka Martian
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Sailors? » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:32 pm

Replace the tobacco with weed and smoke blunts everyday instead. Become a part time dealer selling to friends and smoke for free. That's how my final year at Uni played out.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:02 pm

My mum quit just using patches. What I don't recommend is buying those electronic cigarettes. More hassle than they're worth.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Stocke » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:20 pm

You mentioned cutting back on the drink too a while ago. Hows that working out if you don't mind me asking?
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Raithos » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:47 pm

Sailors? wrote: Replace the tobacco with weed and smoke blunts everyday instead. Become a part time dealer selling to friends and smoke for free. That's how my final year at Uni played out.

That's what I did, without the selling part that is. I replaced it with chewing gum at work, and green everywhere else. Eventually I broke the habit of wanting a cigarette altogether. Whenever the craving got bad and I couldn't fall back on green, I would close my eyes and count to 30 taking a deep breath with every number. The craving usually passed by then. It's all a mind game after 72 hours. Stay strong man you can do it!
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby south carmain » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:17 pm

I quit for the second time recently, the mental cravings stop after a month or so. it's really just waiting for your mind to forget the habit
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:31 pm

Stocke wrote: You mentioned cutting back on the drink too a while ago. Hows that working out if you don't mind me asking?

Definitely cut down on the drinking to help quit smoking. If you drink you can never really quit smoking for good. And if you can, you're a harder man than I..

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: AM2
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby nskachu » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:39 pm

that pokemon strategy is some deep shit.. good shit! seriously, that makes you forget the cigarettes. just do things that make you forget the dirty sticks. keep your mind as clear as a polished mirror and be water, my friend haha
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with feelings

Postby UnHoly Bible » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:20 pm

QWERTY wrote: Ok, so I've *seriously* given this a bash once before about 6 or 7 years ago and I managed 3 months by completely cutting everything out and going cold turkey. I've now been free of smoking fags (rollies) for two weeks now and I'm really struggling. I don't have any physical cravings, it's just the mental shit. Y'know? A conversation ends... go for a fag. Finish a meal... go for a fag. Get tanked up with your friends... have a plethora of fags. After spending nearly half of my life doing something so inherently habitual, how the fuck do I replace it? ARRRRGGHHHHH!

Replace all g's in the word fag in this post with p's (except for the first fag, fuck you)

UnHoly Bible has received 2 thanks from: Kenny, MiTT3NZ
UnHoly Bible
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:11 am

I have been off cigs for over 2 and a half years now, after smoking for 8. Wow, what a blessing it really is, once you are finally over the withdrawls and physical/mental struggles, you feel better than you ahve felt in a long while, you feel much healthier and your body just feels clearer (and it should because there arent a bunch of extra toxins running through it). I weined myself down and quit cold turkey, but I had many physical pains in the process and it was so bad just thinking about that pain makes me never wanna touch a cig ever again, no way am I putting myself through that again. Just tough it out man, thats what I did, although Im sure im a rare case that actually succeeded with that method, but im just that awesome.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: AM2
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby QWERTY » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:14 am

Sailors? wrote: Replace the tobacco with weed and smoke blunts everyday instead. Become a part time dealer selling to friends and smoke for free. That's how my final year at Uni played out.

I don't smoke weed anymore. Bad stuff man, bad stuff.

Stocke wrote: You mentioned cutting back on the drink too a while ago. Hows that working out if you don't mind me asking?

Waste of time. Of course I'm still drinking, I'm English!

It's getting easier but drinking alcohol is the real challenge. It does help that I'm in a completely different environment but once I have an alcoholic beverage then the craving comes back 10 fold. Why must they go hand in hand so well?
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Sailors? » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:01 pm

QWERTY wrote:

QWERTY wrote:I don't smoke weed anymore. Bad stuff man, bad stuff.

Don't say things you don't mean bby.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight

Next

Return to Off Topic