Blog: What if Shenmue was exclusive to XBox One

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Blog: What if Shenmue was exclusive to XBox One

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:31 am

http://www.oxm.co.uk/67138/blog/what-if ... exclusive/

MS do seem to have gone back to the aggressive nature they had in the early years having already spent over 1B on games for the X1 but would they take another chance with Shenmue?
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Re: Blog: What if Shenmue was exclusive to XBox One

Postby ShenSun » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:53 am

Shenmue 3 would flop on xbox unless it had some heavy marketing behind it.

Shenmue should go to playstation.

Regardless, at least more people are talking about shenmue. Its hard to believe its being talked about so much recently.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Storm360 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:00 am

Eh, I don't see it happening on Xbox One to be honest, the article did mention killer instinct, but Killer Instinct does have alot more appeal to the average western consumer.

Honestly, the way Microsoft have treat Xbox One exclusives so far aswell (take Forza Motorsport 5 etc) with Microtransactions I don't want it on a Microsoft Console, I don't want to end up paying 100 Yen in real money to play Space Harrier!
Storm360
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: Storm-Iz-SiK
Steam: Stormx360

Postby BlueMue » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:30 am

I share the opinion with most of the others here, that Shenmue III should happen on the PS4 and none of the other systems. It great to see that people from the "other side" of the gaming universe also have interest in Shenmue. And like always, any feature that talks about Shenmue and keeps the interest up is good!
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:53 am

Really it should go on all possible consoles. Shenmue will never sell loads on one console.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:54 am

Won't happen. Peter Moore doesn't work there anymore..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:15 pm

So EA buy it............

:-&

Also in regards to MS and micro transactions.. GT 6 would like to say hello.

But I keep seeing it should go to Sony. Why? Why them rather than multiplatform or XBox/Wii(you don't have to answer that last one...)

Because of Japan? Pretty sure the series sold more outside Japan? And Japan has shown with any game that appeals to them can cause a sales bump no matter what the console.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Storm360 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:17 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: So EA buy it............

:-&

Also in regards to MS and micro transactions.. GT 6 would like to say hello.

But I keep seeing it should go to Sony. Why? Why them rather than multiplatform or XBox/Wii(you don't have to answer that last one...)

Because of Japan? Pretty sure the series sold more outside Japan? And Japan has shown with any game that appeals to them can cause a sales bump no matter what the console.

My apologies, as I wasn't aware of GT6 when I made the post, (disappointing too, was looking forward to it as I never played any of the series before), on the other hand though, I believe all but Dead Rising 3 from Microsoft's launch titles on the Xbox One feature them, whereas none of the first party PS4 games so that's a plus in my book.

Sony just makes more sense to me, they are alot more open to taking risks lately for example, with all the exclusives, and even pushing indie games on the system, this could all change with the next generation of consoles though, but I feel like it won't be long until MS are back to releasing just Halo, GoW and Forza every year exclusive wise which is the way the 360 (very sadly even) has been.

The Wii U would maybe even be my preferred console, I'd be interested to see if they could use the game pad as say, a cell phone or something, but with the Wii U sales, funding a title this expensive would be suicide.
Storm360
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: Storm-Iz-SiK
Steam: Stormx360

Postby Axm » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:24 pm

Is it possible? Yes anything is possible, however..

1) The game actually is needing to be released in Japan to maximize sucess because the Shenmue brand is known in Japan well enough to be sucessful. I know because ive spoken to Japanese gamers while living in Japan and they enjoyed the games and want to see 3. Why minimize its sucess on a system nobody will buy there. Japanese are HIGHLY nationalistic people and no game can ever push them into buying an Xbox short of Monster Hunter or Final Fantasy being an exclusive to them. Even then I believe those emmensely popular titles would fail.

2) Xbox One isnt even available in Japan yet. That shows how much they care about the brand out there.

3) MS has shown no interest in the series.

4) It bombed in the U.S last time around when Shenmue 2x was exclusive here. What makes you think they want to fund/publish a game that bombed previously if Sega isnt even willing to make it themselves? This isnt Dead Rising, a series proven to be sucessful exclusively on Xbox. Its Shenmue, a series that fell on its ass because of it. Sega wouldnt want to risk it failing again after all this time aswell. What a waste of time and money that would be. Then Sega would look even more retarded then they already do.

5) Nintendo would be next in line after Sony as a secondary viable option if we still talk about exclusivity. They atleast have the Japanese market, a stronger relationship with Sega and the desire to apeal to the core gamer market that they so desperately need to get a hold of.

Now could be it multiplatform and release on XBO aswell? Ofcourse, that would make much more sense.
But PS4 exclusive is still way more likely.
Last edited by Axm on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Axm has received 2 thanks from: Raithos, Ziming
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:24 pm

I don't care which system(s) it's on, as long as it gets made. If Microsoft or Nintendo were showing the interest that Sony has, I'd be all over them. Or if Sega showed any geniune hint of paying for it themselves, then multiplatform would of course be ideal. But as things stand, if Sony don't do it then we've been given no reason to believe it will happen at all. So to not pursue the Sony angle right now just because it "should" be on all systems would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Giorgio, MiTT3NZ
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:37 pm

Axm wrote: Is it possible? Yes anything is possible, however..

1) The game actually is needing to be released in Japan to maximize sucess because the Shenmue brand is known in Japan well enough to be sucessful. I know because ive spoken to Japanese gamers while living in Japan and they enjoyed the games and want to see 3. Why minimize its sucess on a system nobody will buy there. Japanese are HIGHLY nationalistic people and no game can ever push them into buying an Xbox short of Monster Hunter or Final Fantasy being an exclusive to them. Even then I believe those emmensely popular titles would fail.

2) Xbox One isnt even available in Japan yet. That shows how much they care about the brand out there.

3) MS has shown no interest in the series.

4) It bombed in the U.S last time around when Shenmue 2x was exclusive here. What makes you think they want to fund/publish a game that bombed previously if Sega isnt even willing to make it themselves? This isnt Dead Rising, a series proven to be sucessful exclusively on Xbox. Its Shenmue, a series that fell on its ass because of it. Sega wouldnt want to risk it failing again after all this time aswell. What a waste of time and money that would be. Then Sega would look even more retarded then they already do.

5) Nintendo would be next in line after Sony as a secondary viable option if we still talk about exclusivity. They atleast have the Japanese market, a stronger relationship with Sega and the desire to apeal to the core gamer market that they so desperately need to get a hold of.

Now could be it multiplatform and release on XBO aswell? Ofcourse, that would make much more sense.
But PS4 exclusive is still way more likely.

1) it would be released in Japan no matter what console it was on even if MS/SEGA did oddly decide not to release IIX.

2)PS4's not out in Japan yet so not sure the point? And of course that coming from a Japanese company.

3)Apart from buying the exclusive rights before....

4) which is why it should be on as many consoles as possible. The series will simply stay a cult hit and being on the PS4 won't change that.

Again with a series that's not seen as a system seller why limit to one audience rather than all? Even if it means keeping it digital with a possible retail if its a success.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:04 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote:Again with a series that's not seen as a system seller why limit to one audience rather than all?

Because releasing it on all systems doesn't get them funding from Sony. And once they have funding from Sony, they don't have to worry so much about "lost" sales on other platforms (which is irrelevant because with no funding there'd be no game and therefore no sales on any platform).

As for why Sony would invest in an exclusive that may or may not make a profit, not all benefits come directly from sales. Being the company that brought us the fabled, mythical, infamously impossible Shenmue III would be THE ULTIMATE demonstration of their "4 the Players" mantra. It would be a huge feather in the cap for the Playstation brand, boosting their image not only amongst Shenmue fans but other gamers who know what a big deal this is, whether they personally like the game or not.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 4 thanks from: Axm, Giorgio, mue 26, Ziming
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Axm » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:06 pm

So if you're going to change your argument to it being multiplatform then I completely agree and theirs no point to have this discussion anymore.

But to entertain the audience..

1) Not sure of your point. Yes it would be released it Japan..
2) PS4 is coming out in Feburary where yes, it is a secondary market to them and when the exclusives Japanese care about are ready. Its a smart business move while they supply the U.S and Europe for Christmas. Japanese dont celebrate Christmas with gifts like we do.
Meanwhile XBO doesnt even have a release date yet. Just sometime in late 2014. Who knows when thatll be or if anyone there will even care.

3) You mean apart where Peter Moore brought it over from Sega when he went to MS and it then it failing? Ya lets double down on that one.

4) Yes ofcourse I agree. I think most people do. But if its Sony backing it then what's to discuss. Be happy we have Shenmue 3, a story ending game.

/endthread?
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Ziming » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:18 pm

Never has a console manufacture gone out to a limb to acknowledge fan requests for a game like Shenmue. Until now. This is why fans are putting all our cards with Sony to make it happen.

You have the choice of 3 tunnels to make an exit. Do you choose Microsoft and Nintendo which are pitch black and likely dead ends, or do you choose the tunnel Sony has paved way with visible light? That's where we're at now.

Ziming has received 5 thanks from: AdamKoralik, Axm, Giorgio, Let's Get Sweaty, mue 26
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:43 pm

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: Yama
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III