What movie are you watching right now?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby Kenny » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:46 am

^Besides Loki, I wouldn't be able to tell you. Some space Elf was the main antag, didn't get the name.

Game Change.

Good film. I like Jay Roach's movies and this is no exception. Julianne Moore is fantastic as Sarah Palin.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

The Wolverine

Liked it more on a second viewing. I couldn't help but think they should of made it more bloody and violent in the action scenes. Surely someone slashing around at people with adamantium claws could cause some serious blood spray or one on one use it as an intimidation in light torture. Wolverine's supposed to be a vicious animal after all!

I appreciated the humour a bit more, didn't find it as distracting. There's no laugh out loud silly gags for the sake of it.

I still didnt like the Viper character, though and the third act was a little too predictable and a bit rushed. Though the film does run for two hours in total so I wouldn't of traded anything for a longer final battle instead. There's a bonus sequence in the credits for the next X-Men film. This was the first I'd say of them since X2 in the cinema so it blew right past me.

I'm interested in finding the comic this was based on. When the film was announced I heard it was one of Wolverine's best stories.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:32 pm

^Aren't they releasing an Uncut version on DVD? That's what I heard anyway, with longer action scenes (which are bloody). Still the best action film I've seen all year, I think.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:49 pm

^^Hearing that from you, I'm really interested in seeing it now. Thought it looked alright (as far as Wolverine movies go, at least) back when it came out, but never got around to seeing it. Might pick it up.
EDIT: Oh, shit. The uncut edition is apparently about 50 bucks normally, but Amazon already has it half-price for pre-order. Seems like a good deal. In that light, I guess I might actually preorder.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:51 pm

Ah shit, I don't mean for you to spend upwards of $50 on a film you might not end up liking. I mean, it's the best action film I've seen this year, but really, it really isn't saying much; it's been a pretty weak ass year for action films on the whole, definitely seems like the vast majority of them are coming out next year.

Just watched The Iceman which had a surprisingly solid cast about one of the most notorious serial killers in the US. Chris Evans was actually incredibly good as the creepy killer that Kuklinski (played adequately by Michael Shannon) took his ideas from. The acting was fine [especially from the always reliable Ray Liotta], the film left me feeling a bit unsatisfied though; it didn't really go into enough detail on Kuklinski's kills, since his first kill was back in the 50s, but the way the film made it look, he started in the 60s. Plus they spent far too much time on his family life, yeah it's nice that the filmmakers want to make a serial killer out to be a sympathetic person, but come on, the guy killed all sorts of people, not just other criminals and he didn't just do kills for the mob, he did it for fun/his own self interest. The guy even went on record to say he killed people for experimentation, whereas in the film, they make it look like he's doing it to provide for his family, which is obviously a crock of shit.

So yeah, a bit of liberties were taken with the story, I still think somebody else could do a more comprehensive look at the man, since he is a very interesting serial killer that didn't give a fuck, he killed criminals/mobsters, homeless people, civil servants, cops the guy didn't care, if you pissed him off, you weren't going to get away from him.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:46 am

Henry Spencer wrote: Ah shit, I don't mean for you to spend upwards of $50 on a film you might not end up liking. I mean, it's the best action film I've seen this year, but really, it really isn't saying much; it's been a pretty weak ass year for action films on the whole, definitely seems like the vast majority of them are coming out next year.

Well, it's about 25 right now (on sale I guess), which isn't too bad for a new bluray. Wanted to see it anyway. Don't worry, I'm not the type to blame other people when I spend money. ;-)
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:13 am

Just saw 12 Years a Slave in theaters. Really a top notch film. Its one of those movies you see once and will probably never want to see again because its so powerful.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:29 pm

Hunger Games: Catching Fire.

Finished the book before seeing it. The movie did a good job trying to make something out of the source material, which was terribly written to begin with. Ultimately, they did fix a couple of major issues I had with the novel. Unfortunately, they pretty much kept the second half the way it was and it ended up being a clusterfuck...cause that's exactly the way it was in the book, a muddled-mess of a clusterfuck.

I could totally tell by reading the book that it was just rushed out while the Hunger Games momentum was at its highest. Which is a damn shame cause the first book was SO good, I haven't read a turn-pager like that in forever. Still the screen adaptation could've been much worse, I can even say at times they really improved the book big time by making the necessary changes. I wish they completely rewrote the Arena part, making it less convoluted and more dramatic.

I'm gonna read Mockingjay, which is supposed to be the WORST one out of the three. If it really is that bad, I hope they change it up for the two-part movie adaptation.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Rakim » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:37 am

Watched Russell Brand's new stand up DVD "Messiah Complex". It was ok. There weren't enough laughs packed in for my taste, but there was some pseudo-intellectual food for thought that I enjoyed. It also broke a major rule of comedy performances by being well over an hour long(1:39:00 approx) and I didn't like that. It was really cool spotting Morrissey hanging out in the crowd amongst the spectators, though.

Hopefully he comes with a more traditional stand-up special next time.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:57 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: ^Aren't they releasing an Uncut version on DVD? That's what I heard anyway, with longer action scenes (which are bloody). Still the best action film I've seen all year, I think.

Are they? I don't buy DVD's anymore. I only rented it on PSN. Would of thought they'd put uncut editions up digitally at some point.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:00 pm

I bought my tickets to see Desolation of Smaug in IMAX next week.

I hope it's not a letdown.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:07 am

Crowsnest (2012)

Another...lame...found footage film. I really have no idea what this is supposed to be about.

First I thought it was going to be about ghosts cause they played the classic "little-girl-in-a-nightgown-with-the-teddy-bear-who-mysteriously-vanishes-all-spooky-like-when-the-camera-turns-away-and-back-again" scene. Then there's an evil RV trying to run them over and kill them (lol). Then they get out of the car (?) Then there's this chase in the woods. And then there's, like, cannibalism happening inside the RV...then I realized this shit was never going to get any better and started skipping it.

Cliché set-ups. Unlikable characters. Really illogical reasons for this to be found footage. Fake ass digital static in a desperate attempt to make this creepier. A douchier Shaggy from Scooby-Doo as our protagonist.

My brain hurts.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:44 am

The Cabin in the Woods.
Surprisingly really entertaining and original. Loved the whole concept. I thought the ending was a bit of a missed opportunity (they should have had some Lovecraft-style shit in there), but the outcome was oddly unexpected nonetheless.
Definitely a recommendation.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:18 am

Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom.

....what the fuck. Seriously.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:23 am

Dorian wrote: Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom.

....what the fuck. Seriously.

Three films in a row you haven't liked. What have you done with Kenny?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic