What movie are you watching right now?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby Kenny » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:17 am

The Wolf of Wall Street.

So far the best Scorsese film I've ever seen. It harkens back to his hard edge style from Taxi Driver except with more finesse and polish combined with a marvelous cast and a badass script. This film was VERY comedic and had it's great ups and downs on the Drama spectrum. Seriously, there are some truly magnificent moments in this film I couldn't have even dreamed of. Terence Winter is a genius (given his track record, that comes to no surprise).

Honestly, I didn't think I was going to have half as much fun as I did. Unfortunately the ending came up short which left everyone including me feeling a little underwhelmed, but the rollercoaster ride to get there was well-worth it.

9/10
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby mue 26 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:02 pm

I'm quite fond of that movie. Been yonks since I saw it, but I'd go out on a limb and call it "good" for what it is. As far as Rom Coms go, it's pretty much top tier. Damn, now I wanting to watch it right now. I agree with Kevin Kline love though

So I watched French Kiss last night. I stand by what I said here, as I did enjoy it and it did genuinely make me laugh. I even thought Meg Ryan was pretty good in it.

I swear there's also another Meg Ryan rom com set in France I was thinking of though. I seem to recall one bit where she is listening to her ex (or cheating) boyfriend having sex with his new girlfriend through some sort of listening device. Anyone know what movie this is, or did I just completely imagine this up?
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:11 pm

Pacific Rim last night. Finally.
Loved it. There's some cheesiness, and any attempt at humor that isn't made by either Charlie Day or Ron Pearlman tends to fall kind of flat, but that doesn't matter. The effects are absolutely amazing, and the whole thing is entertaining all the way through. This is the kind of "live-action anime" stuff the Japanese would be making if they actually had the budgets for it.
Just another indication to me that Guillermo del Toro is one of the best directors working right now. Can't wait for whatever he pulls out next.

OL has received 3 thanks from: ThyDarkAngel, Who Really Cares?, wude
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bambi » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:15 pm

mue 26 wrote:I swear there's also another Meg Ryan rom com set in France I was thinking of though. I seem to recall one bit where she is listening to her ex (or cheating) boyfriend having sex with his new girlfriend through some sort of listening device. Anyone know what movie this is, or did I just completely imagine this up?

You're thinking of Addicted to Love, wasn't set in France but the ex-boyfriend she stalks is French. I'm really not a romantic comedy fan but it's pretty decent.

Bambi has received a thanks from: mue 26
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby mue 26 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:28 pm

Thank you! Yeah that's the one, I'll probably give that a watch soon too.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:43 pm

Dredd. Sick film.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:55 am

OL wrote: Pacific Rim last night. Finally.
Loved it. There's some cheesiness, and any attempt at humor that isn't made by either Charlie Day or Ron Pearlman tends to fall kind of flat, but that doesn't matter. The effects are absolutely amazing, and the whole thing is entertaining all the way through. This is the kind of "live-action anime" stuff the Japanese would be making if they actually had the budgets for it.
Just another indication to me that Guillermo del Toro is one of the best directors working right now. Can't wait for whatever he pulls out next.

phpBB [video]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Imagine97832 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:38 am

Hmm, last movie I saw was Eyes Wide Shut, last night. Kubrick's final film. Never really watched it all the way through until now.
Imagine97832
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Rakim » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:21 pm

Born Rich. Documentary about kids who are the heirs to massive fortunes. Directed by the heir to the Johnson & Johnson money.

The director has a kind of annoying voice, but I can forgive that. Especially after you meet some of the other rich kids. A couple of these dudes are like freaking movie characters the way the talk. The one guy who tried to sue the movie out of being distributed in particular.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:43 pm

The Dark Knight Returns parts 1&2

Really enjoyed it even if the news report cuts didn't always work. Some pretty brutal parts as well.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: Bambi
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bambi » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:04 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: The Dark Knight Returns parts 1&2

Really enjoyed it even if the news report cuts didn't always work. Some pretty brutal parts as well.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

I really liked it too, the animation is nothing special and the dialogue is a little clunky in places but the rest of it is spot on; the voice acting and soundtrack are especially good.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

My favourite piece from the soundtrack, quite reminiscent of the credit music from Robocop which I'm sure is an intentional nod from the creators.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Sailors? » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:31 pm

Dark Knight Rises. Billys asleep and we're skyping Lukes brother in Australia. Good background noise though.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight

Postby Kenny » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:39 pm

I rented Pacific Rim and The Bling Ring.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:02 pm

Blue Velvet.

Bambi wrote:I really liked it too, the animation is nothing special and the dialogue is a little clunky in places but the rest of it is spot on; the voice acting and soundtrack are especially good.

The OST for those films are so good. Probably my favourite music from any Batman yet.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:55 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Blue Velvet..

My friends and I were watching clips of Fincher films the other night. Blue Velvet was one of them. It was the voyeuristic scene with Dennis Hopper and 'mommy'. I'm interested in watching it when I heard the explanation what the basic plot of the film was.

The Eraserhead chicken dinner scene did not have the same effect :-s
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic