Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:11 am

Yokosuka Martian wrote: I've mentioned this on the 500k website, but if Kid Icarus can come out with a game 21 years later, I'm sure Shenmue has a chance to eventually come out with a new game as well.

The only problem with saying stuff like that is that game didn't have a budget like Shenmue.

Would love for Yu to do something like a 2 hour presentation on youtube or something because I get the feeling Shenmue 1&2 still have a lot of things the public don't know about.

Who Really Cares? has received 2 thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*, Yokosuka Martian
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:31 am

You know, I thought about that, but I posted it anyway :D
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby IrishNinja » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:12 pm

forgive my ignorance, but who's Alimn again? cause i like a lot of what i'm reading there but there's been mistranslations in the recent past, like that time everyone thought he was going to kickstarter.
IrishNinja
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: TheIrishNinja
XBL: The NZA 2099
Nintendo FC: IrishNinja
Steam: The NZA
Currently playing: Guardian Heroes

Postby Himuro » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:22 pm

IrishNinja wrote: forgive my ignorance, but who's Alimn again? cause i like a lot of what i'm reading there but there's been mistranslations in the recent past, like that time everyone thought he was going to kickstarter.

Alimn is a long time member here. Haven't seen him in a while.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby ys » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:26 pm

He used to hang around here much more before and was known to be a very enthusiastic Shenmue fan. This made him hated by some while others appreciated his spirit.

Anyway, he often kept track of Shenmue news and reported it here. Often things were with a positive spin but based on how he always has been, I don't think that he would make up this conversation with Cerny. What's being said doesn't seem very hyped but rather neutral.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:20 pm

ys wrote: He used to hang around here much more before and was known to be a very enthusiastic Shenmue fan. This made him hated by some while others appreciated his spirit.

Anyway, he often kept track of Shenmue news and reported it here. Often things were with a positive spin but based on how he always has been, I don't think that he would make up this conversation with Cerny. What's being said doesn't seem very hyped but rather neutral.

I don't think that was it.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Sonikku » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:28 pm

Well, come what may, it was a fun event to group together for and chat with during the presentation. And Kiba came back to be a part of it too. So in that regard at least, I feel pretty satisfied.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:31 pm

We received new information and pictures never seen before. I count that as a positive thing

Yokosuka Martian has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:32 pm

Sonikku wrote: Well, come what may, it was a fun event to group together for and chat with during the presentation. And Kiba came back to be a part of it too. So in that regard at least, I feel pretty satisfied.

But now Kiba is back in the shadows.. :|
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:45 pm

"We've got a massive list—we're calling everyone trying to get that list as much as possible. A lot of issues come around clearances or intellectual property ownerships and stuff like that."

Interestingly, for Shenmue and Yakuza fans, Boyes says it is those games that Sony are focusing on.

"We get a ton of requests for Yakuza, a ton of requests for Shenmue. We see the lists," Boyes said.

"We have a person that compiles those lists and prioritises based on how many requests we've gotten. And I think to date there's well over 10,000 mentions across like forum threads and stuff like that. So those are the ones we're focused on."

Boyes also commented on when fans should expect to start to see the result of Sony's work getting ports onto PlayStation platforms.

"I would say within the next six months we'll have at least one if not a few announcements to make on that front."

I still find that statement very hopeful and positive. If this was stated around mid-november, six months from then will land us around May, which is close to E3 time.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ys » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:52 pm

@Who Really Cares. Sure, I only summarized quickly ;) But I remember that this bothered some. When he was new many had given up hope and got annoyed by bullshit/hopeful posts without concrete information. So he stuck out with those posts.

Anyway, the main point was that I guess that the conversation went like that. It seems subdued enough. So if it's true, it's interesting that Cerny actually knows what's going on with Shenmue. He and Yu definitely have been discussing things then.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby zirocaster » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:13 pm

Yokosuka Martian wrote:
"We've got a massive list—we're calling everyone trying to get that list as much as possible. A lot of issues come around clearances or intellectual property ownerships and stuff like that."

Interestingly, for Shenmue and Yakuza fans, Boyes says it is those games that Sony are focusing on.

"We get a ton of requests for Yakuza, a ton of requests for Shenmue. We see the lists," Boyes said.

"We have a person that compiles those lists and prioritises based on how many requests we've gotten. And I think to date there's well over 10,000 mentions across like forum threads and stuff like that. So those are the ones we're focused on."

Boyes also commented on when fans should expect to start to see the result of Sony's work getting ports onto PlayStation platforms.

"I would say within the next six months we'll have at least one if not a few announcements to make on that front."

I still find that statement very hopeful and positive. If this was stated around mid-november, six months from then will land us around May, which is close to E3 time.

This is something positive that I really look forward to! I think this is something we all should look forward to and be hopeful that we will get something out of this.

It really seems that many are disappointed with the result of GDC and have abandoned nearly all hope for shenmue , but we should really hang on and just push forward. SaveShenmue campaign has done so well and it would be a shame if people tune off because of this. The result of GDC was pretty much expected because it really was a conference for developers. I understand that the Q&A was a train wreck , it really was. Watching Yu at that presentation , man , he seemed a little nervous to me but at the same time , I could see the love and passion he still has for shenmue. It's like a child to him and he really want's to conclude the series like intended , not rushing with his ass towards a tree or something like that :mrgreen: I'm sure that one day it will happen. Maybe not this year , or the next , but some day...I'm sure of it.

I'm hopeful and waiting for E3 to hear if Sony is bringing ports of shenmue to PlayStation. Stick together guys! :P
zirocaster
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:33 pm

Haha, I knew alimn would follow through for us. Hope he's enjoying himself there. Maybe he'll even bump into Suzuki at the conference? It's still going on at the moment.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:38 pm

Yokosuka Martian wrote: We received new information and pictures never seen before. I count that as a positive thing

It was good in that respect. Hopefully there will be a postmortem on Shenmue II as was teased at the end of the presentation. I'd find that a lot more interesting as I much prefer the second game to the first..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby NeoShredder » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:47 pm

Yokosuka Martian wrote: So, two things for the Dojoers that are not on the Facebook Shenmue 500k site:

Alimn was able to chat up Mark Cerny for a bit as well:

I talked to Mark about Shenmue....(He's such an awesome person)

"It's not easy these days to find publishers who want to afford those much...", That's what Mark told me.

He said Yu is trying hard to find publishers these days (that's why he's here...)

This would make a lot of sense actually given the circumstances, perhaps this is what is really going on here. Doesn't guarentee anything at all, but...It might explain WHY Yu was hesitant to respond in any meaningful way to the Shenmue III question, why the various quotes from the last couple of months from Cerny....why there was what appeared, at least to me, to be an entirely new trailer for the original (I think?) and original concept art....all about explaining 'the vision'...
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates