Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Shenmue Postmortem Discussion

Postby Messiah » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:50 am

Gangsta Ren wrote:
Riku Rose wrote: The Walking Dead is one of the biggest properties at the moment with the TV show and comics being some of the most popular in their respective mediums, that's partly why the game sells so well. I like Shenmue but the story in the game is far from good. The writing in the game is nowhere near as good as something like The Walking Dead game which is seen by most as one of the best written games ever and something that people will say inspired games in years to come. People are going to be more interested in a game from a known brand about zombies like The Walking Dead than Shenmue the weird Japanese game where you open draws for 3 hours and then maybe get into a fight. The idea that Shenmue could 'smash' The Walking Dead is ridicules.

Also they're cheap to make and are only 2 hour episodes made by groups of about 30-40 people. Shenmue is much more open and would require a lot more work to make then something like Walking Dead pushing up the costs. Episodic games work for cheaply made games but something like Shenmue would have to be a retail game unless we got a different type of game entirely.

I agree Shenmue 3 wouldn't smash the Walking Dead, it's an entertainment juggernaut . I've played the first season and the 2 existing chapters of Season 2. It won't inspire ANY developers for years to come. I like the game, but please, it's barely a game. The parts I love the most about it are the parts that Ape Shenmue. The "drawer opening " you maligned do much looks directly copied in the Walking dead , and I love it. Tactile interaction with the 3D environment. The QTE are obvious Shenmue rip offs. Where the game is inferior is any portion that involves realtime action. The shooting mechanic is horrendous . It's unbelievably bad and poorly implemented. They had two years to get this to a professional level. The shooting is sub-par to flash games. It would be more of a "game " if it had Free Battle system where you kill hordes of Zombies. Your choices also turn out to be irrelevant, as they don't affect the end of the game. All it affects is who on the cast lives or dies. How about multiple branching endings next time. I could care less who on the cast lives or dies. As for the writing, meh, I've seen better. That new villain is too cartoonish , too much like the comic book version of the Governor. They are basically out of ideas and keep copying and pasting the same character types to different people. Nutty villain, unfaithful wife who gets knocked up by someone else, human marauders, same old sh--.

As for Messiah's idea about kick starter, that would never work. Yu Suzuki already thought of that. Even popular games like Mighty Number 9 only garnered $3.4 million. Shenmue would probably need $30 million or more. Never gonna happen.

Again, why do people think Yu would need 30 million dollars? Shenmue was expensive because of all the research and how ahead of the times it was. It needn't be that now.

To be honest, I'd be happy if Yu worked on "The old man and the peach tree" for a couple of million. It needn't be a SEGA game, just Yu. In China. Kung fu and some blossom trees. The end.
Messiah
Dojo Ghost
Master of the Three Blades

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:33 pm

I had the honor of watching the postmortem with 2 veteran members of SD. Yukio and the legendary bysby (who didnt even know it was happening so I linked him). Apparently Bysby mis understood suzuki-san at some point and thought he said shenmue was originally a sci fi O_O

Anyway, I loved the presentation, even though nothing else was announced, but I wasnt expecting an announcement anyway. I am glad they stuck to what they originally said this was going to be, a postmortem. I think the fact that Mark Cerny did the translations might hold some subliminal message between atelast cerny/Sony and Suzuki, if not Sony, and sega. Who knows what may be in the works, I wish one of the reporters did ask suzuki about Shenmue HD during the Q/A though.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Podshibin » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:56 pm

Messiah wrote: Again, why do people think Yu would need 30 million dollars? Shenmue was expensive because of all the research and how ahead of the times it was. It needn't be that now.

I think he will need even more.
Because standards are higher this time: voice acting and recording (including music) and a lot of art (texture, modelling, light, concepts). +don't forget about Inflation. He can't just finish old beta Shenmue 3 and throw it on stock, whole game has to be redone.

The only easier/less expensive thing is engine - there are lot of decent engines today. But he should buy one, optimise it, configure it, etc. Long and complex game - long story of configuring/testing/coding/.
Last edited by Podshibin on Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Podshibin
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Messiah » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:05 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: I had the honor of watching the postmortem with 2 veteran members of SD. Yukio and the legendary bysby (who didnt even know it was happening so I linked him). Apparently Bysby mis understood suzuki-san at some point and thought he said shenmue was originally a sci fi O_O

Anyway, I loved the presentation, even though nothing else was announced, but I wasnt expecting an announcement anyway. I am glad they stuck to what they originally said this was going to be, a postmortem. I think the fact that Mark Cerny did the translations might hold some subliminal message between atelast cerny/Sony and Suzuki, if not Sony, and sega. Who knows what may be in the works, I wish one of the reporters did ask suzuki about Shenmue HD during the Q/A though.

as a postmortem it was insightful and i really enjoyed it, love to yu and the am2 team
Messiah
Dojo Ghost

Postby Schiff » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:59 pm

awesome event. I felt so nostalgic
Schiff
Wanna leave the cave
Man Mo Acolyte

XBL: ylyon
Currently playing: Virtua Fighter 5FS

Postby Gangsta Ren » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:39 am

Sega likes to keep their cards close to their chest. Look at it this way, if virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown can come to home consoles, anything is possible. I play Vf5 FS in tournaments. I go under the handle Godokunodan . I know a few of my fellow players are in the game industry. LA Akira hinted way in advance,( about a year) that VF5 FS was coming to consoles. He actually did the 3d artwork for the Vf5FS commercial for Sega. Zero Chan is in the game journalism industry and leaked FS existence before it was even released in the arcades. If anyone would know if Shenmue HD or even Shenmue 3 is on its way it would be them. I'll ask them when I go to California at Sega Cup 2014 VF tournament.

See, VF5 vanilla sold extremely poorly on US consoles. About 250k on PS3 and 100k on 360. Even in Japan it sold under 100k units. Therefore NO ONE thought VF5 FS would ever come to consoles. There was a HUGE gap between LA Akira leaking VF5 FS console existence and Sega actually breaking their silence and announcing it. Almost a year. Don't take the GDC disappointment too badly. Even Gamespot predicted Shenmue 3 was going to be announced at GDC. They KNOW something.
Gangsta Ren

Postby wude » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:11 am

keep it classy guys, next time => warnings
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby mue 26 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:16 am

To be fair, that guy fully deserved to be banned after this: viewtopic.php?p=1070507#p1070507

Probably the most ignorant , homophobic and vitriolic post I have seen here in years. But that was apparently classy enough for you guys. He deserved a taste of his own medicine.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby wude » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:26 am

It wasn't classy a all, and he got a warning for it and if we see that he's trolling of course he'll be banned.
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby blacktorn » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:45 pm

Eurogamer run a article discussing Yu being interested in a kickstarter project but Yu alo happened to mentioned he is working on a secret project....wonder what that could be...probably something mobile related?

Perhaps if Yu had continued after shenmue to make decent games he would of gathered enough money to fund shenmue himself...all he's accomplished were 2 failed shenmue related shuffle ware and one arcade weird thing that you rub with your fingers....get a grip Yu
blacktorn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ShenSun » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:34 pm

blacktorn wrote: Eurogamer run a article discussing Yu being interested in a kickstarter project but Yu alo happened to mentioned he is working on a secret project....wonder what that could be...probably something mobile related?

Perhaps if Yu had continued after shenmue to make decent games he would of gathered enough money to fund shenmue himself...all he's accomplished were 2 failed shenmue related shuffle ware and one arcade weird thing that you rub with your fingers....get a grip Yu

I don't think it was his fault. SEGA has held this man back big time in my opinion.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby C.. » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:00 pm

Anyone seen this yet? Yu and Cerny at gamelab.

http://tokyo.gamelabconference.com/english/

Scroll to the bottom

6:30pm – 7:15pm The present and future of Japanese Game Development

On stage interview with Suzuki Yu, Japanese Industry Legend. Interview by Manuel González, Director of Spanish TV show “ZoomNet”
C..
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby BlueMue » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:11 pm

Interesting that they're both together at such an event again, even though they two are probably not related like they were at the GDC. Hopefuly the Japanese developers / journalists will have better questions for Yu...
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:17 pm

BlueMue wrote: Interesting that they're both together at such an event again, even though they two are probably not related like they were at the GDC. Hopefuly the Japanese developers / journalists will have better questions for Yu...

Isn't related. They're doing separate talks on different subjects. I don't think Cerny is translating for Suzuki, either..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby C.. » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:21 pm

Mistake on my part I misread the listing.

So Yu must be going around trying to show what his vision and plan is and getting some publicity.
C..
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates