Bays TMNT --- They come from space

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Bays TMNT --- They come from space

Postby Sonikku » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:01 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote:
Then again, it's "cool" to hate Michael Bay, so people will probably ride that bandwagon til the wheels falls off.

Damn those haters! Buncha wankers those guys are. Then again, his movies are loud, obnoxious pieces of shit. The original turtles film wasn't Citizen Kane, but it at least had a shred of depth and message of love and family. Tender conversations with Splinter talking with Raphael about his anger and pushing away his brothers to walk alone breathed genuine life and character into those puppets and costumes.

Character I just don't think Bay is capable of delivering on, if such masterpieces like Transformers 2 are any indication. His craft is one of drowning out people and character in favor of noise and explosions. That is why I suspect some of us are wary of having him direct. Not because he changed the "look" or altered some minute background detail, but because he sucks as a director and has a track record of delivering a product that is historically empty and shallow. Guess that makes me a "hater".
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:26 pm

If I want to watch a dumb popcorn film that actually shows what's going on in the action department, doesn't get extremely obnoxious with the camera angles, and actually ATTEMPTS to have a decent story I'd watch a Roland Emmerich film.

There's nothing wrong with popcorn films, I love them. But Michael Bay sucks all the fun out of them and overdoes explosions to the point of meaninglessness. There's something seriously wrong when you make explosions kinda boring.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:07 am

Sonikku wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote:
Then again, it's "cool" to hate Michael Bay, so people will probably ride that bandwagon til the wheels falls off.

Damn those haters! Buncha wankers those guys are. Then again, his movies are loud, obnoxious pieces of shit. The original turtles film wasn't Citizen Kane, but it at least had a shred of depth and message of love and family. Tender conversations with Splinter talking with Raphael about his anger and pushing away his brothers to walk alone breathed genuine life and character into those puppets and costumes.

Character I just don't think Bay is capable of delivering on, if such masterpieces like Transformers 2 are any indication. His craft is one of drowning out people and character in favor of noise and explosions. That is why I suspect some of us are wary of having him direct. Not because he changed the "look" or altered some minute background detail, but because he sucks as a director and has a track record of delivering a product that is historically empty and shallow. Guess that makes me a "hater".

He's not the director. He's producing.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:25 am

It's almost just as bad.

When he was on the Children of the Corn remake, he wanted to have the children not kill anyone. NOT KILL ANYONE. What the flippin' fuck? I only saw a few minutes of the original and vaguely remember what the book is about, but I do know the children killing grown adults is the biggest selling point of the entire thing. And he didn't want them to kill?!

He got fired shortly thereafter. A rare occurrence since attaching his name on anything will guarantee some money, but that was plainly absurd. Not sure exactly what will occur in this TMNT movie, but it's something to keep my expectations low enough when I eventually do see it.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:00 am

Hmmm. Looks pretty generic to me so far. I'll wait until a full length trailer releases to pass judgement on whether it's worth seeing or not.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Sonikku » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:58 pm

It's amusing looking back in hindsight at some of the more outrageous toy ideas they had back in the day.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:03 pm

My question is, can they keep the martial arts aspect of it intact? Hell even in the first movie, the turtles go to upstate new york and fall back, train, then go back to NYC and take down shredder. Im just saying people with a knack for martial arts can point out a phoney any day, martial arts is just as much about internal as it is external. Having that discipline to control ones composure and make the right decisions was such a big reason TMNT was so successful in the first place and why many parents approved of their kids watching the show despite weapons and mild violence, plus splinter has always said profound things in his teachings to the turtles.

Here is what every TMNT iteration should always have: Martial Arts, Meditation, Sewers, Pizza, Splinter, April, some kind of touch with the paranormal, supernatural, and monster movie esque qualities but mildly. Here is what it should not have: excessive guns and excessive military weapons and scenarios of the like including too much fire and explosions, it should not be too over the top, they are ninjas and you cant stray from what is unrealistic from being a ninja, even despite the fact that ninjas themselves have a fantastical element, its very important to get that aspect right.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:46 pm

Leonardo to now be voiced by Johnny Knoxville and Tony Shalhoub is now Splinter

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/teenage ... d-splinter
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Kenny » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:45 pm

The fan mockups look more appealing.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:58 am

The more I see, the more my interest is dwindling. Knoxville as Leo? Dont get me wrong I love that guy, but as a ninja turtle? Much less the cool and disciplined leader leonardo? The designs of the turtles arent growing on me either. I believe this movie is going to separate fans, and probably bank on the casual fans and change a bunch of stuff they wont remember much less care about, all the while creating a new breed of tmnt fans. Sadly it will be alone in this sense because if its as different as everyone is expecting, it will really be in a league of its own because most of other tmnt iterations stick to either the canon of the 80s cartoon or the comic.

My expectations are so low right now I have this to offer everyone to ponder on: What will be better this new movie or the old Next Mutation live action show?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:53 am

AnimeGamer183 wrote:I believe this movie is going to separate fans, and probably bank on the casual fans and change a bunch of stuff they wont remember much less care about, all the while creating a new breed of tmnt fans.

Make no mistake, the fans don't matter. Nobody makes new Ninja Turtles stuff with established fans in mind. They make them to cater to the next generation of kids. Because no matter how the established fans react to a new iteration of TMNT, it's always practically guaranteed that it'll still generate a shit-ton of money because all the kids in the world will want to see it.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:06 pm

I'm actually happy with Knoxville as Leo. I reckon it's a pretty smart choice. Usually not a big fan of super serious Leonardo, I reckon that characterisation's pretty played out, as it usually leads to the typical "Leo vs Raph" scenario.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Kenny » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:55 pm

Knoxville sounds more appropriate for Raphael than Leonardo.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:54 pm

Tbh, that's when I would be worried. I don't think Knoxville could pull off Raph. Then again, he could surprise me. Coulda been a good Donny n'all if you think about it.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Kenny » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:10 pm

Just hearing the comparisons, the attitude and vocal style is just about right. Knoxville's voice is deeper but it seems more appropriate than Leo.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PreviousNext