What movie are you watching right now?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby Kenny » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:11 am

Finally saw Afflicted.

It falls into the same traps every other film in this genre falls into. They try to justify the constant filming by saying they're doing a world tour vlog but then the camera guy has to be real douchy and film moments where in all good sense he's supposed to put the camera down and help his friend.

They also film scenes that are understandably expository but make no sense to do in the real world (especially towards the end). I mean if I was the one inflicted with this world-shattering transformation, I'd demand the cameras to stop rolling so I can be left in peace. What kind of desperate attention whore needs to keep filming themselves as this is happening? The suspense and the horror was limited in favor of the drama, which really disappointed me. Also, every person has perfect grammar in a comments section of a website? Yeah, what universe does this take place in?

That aside, the special effects are cool and I really wonder how they were able to pull off some of them.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby SledgeNE » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:54 am

I have to many favourite movie i watched very often. Right now, "Firewalker" and "Sidekicks". After this "Summer Rental".
SledgeNE
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:36 am

Kenny wrote: I disagree on Amy Adams being a bad Lois Lane choice and Zack Snyder being a detriment to any future films (especially Justice League). I think Snyder can pull it off, he just needs to get rid of Nolan and Goyer (especially Goyer).

Y'know what, I think that hits the nail on the head. I've liked Snyder's past movies myself (barring Sucker Punch), and if he were allowed to stick more closely to his sort of "pop" style, Man of Steel might have been great. The problem really was that it felt much more Nolan-esque, which was likely a requirement from the studio. And after seeing about ten minutes of DaVinci's Demon's (Goyer's little tv project on Starz), I've already written Goyer off as a hack. So yeah, Snyder could probably make some good flicks if he were just allowed to direct without producer intervention.

I still think Amy Adams was a bad Lois though. Not because he's a bad actress, mind you, she just doesn't really fit the kind of demeanor and style that a Lois Lane should have. She comes off as too nice and plain; a good Lois ought to be kind of assertive, pushy, and noticeable, and not just because she's written that way. The actress ought to have that kind of thing down already. While Clark Kent is the Kansas farm boy, Lois ought to be the upscale city girl.
Casting Amy Adams may as well have been like casting Kate Bosworth again. Same old "girl next door" mistake.

OL has received a thanks from: Kenny
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby redline » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:53 am

i recorded off tv the 1977 "cross of iron" movie in HD, ive seen it before.

its pretty good.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:31 pm

The Purge.

The main premise is too stupid for me to take it seriously. And that's really bad because instead of just watching the movie, i'm just asking myself "why is the purge a thing?" and "why the FUCK is the purge a thing?"

That's really bad if their main intention is for me to be entertained at the idea unless they really wanted me to be constantly questioning it and not pay attention to (or care about) a damn thing in it.

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:39 pm

Really, they don't explain it or anything? I was vaguely interested in it before, partly because I was curious about the backstory, and whatever explanation there might be for that kinda thing.
Huh. Oh well.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:01 pm

Kenny wrote: The Purge.

The main premise is too stupid for me to take it seriously. And that's really bad because instead of just watching the movie, i'm just asking myself "why is the purge a thing?" and "why the FUCK is the purge a thing?"

That's really bad if their main intention is for me to be entertained at the idea unless they really wanted me to be constantly questioning it and not pay attention to (or care about) a damn thing in it.

Really shit movie I agree, I couldn't be bothered to even watch it all the way till the end, but they do actually explain why it is a thing, even if it is a crappy explanation. Right from the start of the movie we see being marketed as a means of man being able to let out his animalistic base desires for a night and that it has supposedly lessened poverty and crime (presumably because all the poor people are being murdered during the purge?).

I actually thought it was a pretty decent concept, in a Battle Royale sort of way, but it was just executed poorly.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:15 pm

Yeah that was the reason they gave, but it still makes me question it. You have to throw common sense out the window in order to buy into the concept of a federally mandated holiday that allows you to kill people relentlessly for one day a year in the first place.

Had they gotten rid of that and just made it into an impending anarchic revolution that only one family in that neighborhood took seriously, I would've enjoyed it alot more. That I can buy into, that only a paranoid delusional man and his family take all the warning signs seriously and then it happens...and they're the only ones with a state of the art security system to protect them.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:31 pm

Yeah it was totally implausible, and they were really lazy in regards to the explanation, but my main problem with it was how bland the main scenario and action was. I've seen countless films about a family holed up in a house trying to fight off the besieging invaders, and The Purge isn't a particularly good one.

A recent film I quite enjoyed was that Al Pacino film Stand Up Guys. A nice light hearted film, but a good role for Pacino, and it was quite touching in parts I thought.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:53 pm

Hangover 3.

Yeah people weren't kidding, this is pretty shitty. Chow is the only funny character in the entire thing.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Jokatech19 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:49 am

Captain America was alright. It wasn't as cheesy as the last one. Nice Fight scenes. They just seemed somewhat choppy, and unfinished at times.
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:01 pm

The Raid

What a film. Tension and great action all the way through. Quite a similar presence to Dredd, which is no bad thing whether coincidental or not..

Hopefully I'll find time to see The Raid 2 before it leaves cinemas.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:23 am

The Shark is Not Working.

A documentary about the making of JAWS, which I still consider the scariest film ever made. Seen it before but watching it again to put me in the mood for my up-coming work to remind myself that shit will happen...so I need to be be prepared for it.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:44 pm

Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Really enjoyed the first one but this just felt 'meh'. Andrew Garfield is great but the rest of the film just doesn't quite click, there are about 5 story lines going on at once and none of them feel fully fleshed out. Jamie Foxx is pretty terrible as Electro before he gets his powers to the point that it's embarrassing. After he becomes Electro he doesn't really get an 'development' and gets rushed through. The kid who plays Harry Osborne is just weird and annoying. Having seen the odd news story before this came out it's obvious they're just trying to line things up for sequels and spin offs so Sony has it's own movie series like Marvel has with the Avengers. I'd say it's the worst Spider-Man film so far but it's ok.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kenny » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:51 pm

That really sucks to hear.

I hate how they're trying to expand Spider-Man into several little spin-offs and such. Spiderman is all that Sony has, it's not like they have access to other individual properties like Fox has Fantastic Four and X-Men (both of which they're trying to tie into each other too).
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic