Shenmue's goods value

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Shenmue's goods value

Postby mue 26 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:32 am

Ah, no I don't have any of those. They're nice posters. I wouldn't mind a Shenhua one myself! Don't really care about it being signed or anything, but I've always loved that artwork of her. I wouldn't want to pay any more than £30 though, so doubt it will ever happen haha.

I still booggles my mind that that mystery woman who was planned to be in Shenmue 3 was featured so heavily in the promotional materials and merchandise for the first two games. Kinda wish Xuiying had been given that honour instead though.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby DEVILLE_David » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:41 pm

Most likely, unless you're very lucky and find a cheap mug or poster on YAJ, you'll never get such items for £30.

In euros, those things can be very expensive. Posters can reach 150/200 euros each (even on YAJ) and mugs... guess it depends. Thing is, just like many other collectible items, if you have 300 guys wanting a mug and one comes out every one or 2 years, it'll skyrocket and end up around 200.

If you had 200 mugs and 10 guys wanting to buy one, then yeah, getting one for £30 would be no problem, i guess... :mrgreen:

I am not saying above prices are the right ones, but this is how i see it. Rarity and people's need makes it expensive. Shenmue is not that known and goods were produced in low quantites which make it even more difficult to get your hands on.

I do not remember when it was exactly, but there was an auction last year on ebay, with no games, no mugs, no posters, just pamphlet, artbook from TGS etc, the auction ended with a bid of 800$+. It might sounds crazy, but this is the sad reality. As time goes by, Shenmue goods will be more expensive, unless Shenmue collectors start selling their whole collection, but do you really think this is going to happen ? I don't think so :/
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: God of War

Postby DEVILLE_David » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:47 pm

Mitsuzuki wrote:
aizen59 wrote:
I better avoid giving the price because if i do and spread how much i had to spend, it'd probably get the price even more expensive and i am sure y1ou do not wish that.

So why ask about their value or what others would pay?

Sorry, did not see your post before posting above.

Well it might sounds stupid but i did ask BEFORE getting a trade with that guy, because if i wanted to know if my trade was worth it. But no one bothered answering or simply didnt know how much they'd go for.

And as for why i wanted to know how much people would spend is pretty simple : if shenmue dojo fans are willing to spend 200 euros on each mug, it means (to them) that its rare and worth something.

I'm barely seeing any Shenmue goods up for sale, even on YAJ and even living in japan and checking stores here and there.

The difference between asking how much people would be willing to pay to get their hands on those mugs and how much i had to spend (as a trade) is the fact that people can say (hell yeah i'll pay 1000 euros for each) but in fact, they might go as far as 200/300 while if i reveal how much i had to spend, they could use it as a reference and price could go up without a good reason.

Sorry, i am having a difficult time to explain what i really want to say, but i wanted to compare how much i had to spend and how much people would be willing to. (I guess if i make it that short, it'll be easier to understand) :mrgreen:
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Mitsuzuki » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:50 am

I was only a bit irked because by your own (totally valid) line of reasoning, I disclosed how much I was willing to pay for a mug which elevates the perceived value of the items. Guess I should have just pm'd you.

I got into Shenmue collecting about 4 years ago after becoming inspired by Axm and Peter's (among others on here) collections. I would often look over the collection thread and it was only later that I decided to stop lurking and join.

It's certainly easy to start collecting, but finding many items has indeed become more and more difficult. I've found through the auction sites that there are often few bidders, but they're willing to go high. It's part of the fun (and agony) of collecting this series, because as you mentioned, there seems to be limited quantity of the stuff that's out there.

I often wonder how many private collectors that are out there that aren't posting what they have. Are there many? Just a few? I'd love to know.

I'd like to post what I have on here, but I'm hoping to find the last few things I'm looking for before I do. But it's been an agonizing wait.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby mue 26 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:39 am

I look forward to seeing your collection mate. Sounds like it's a good'un. Though all these prices are just unfathomable to me. Mind you, I did admittedly spend £200 on a Yu signed Shenmue. Which was pretty frivolous of me looking back now.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: Mitsuzuki
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby DEVILLE_David » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:01 am

Same here, been collecting for a few years but some items i've been looking for 8 years.

Even being in Japan does not help me at all.

I went to an old store few days ago, hoping i'd get into a mug, a mouse pad or even a poster... Brought my shenmue mug with me to show it to that guy and his reaction was funny (i'll just translate to english) :

"Hey"
Me : "Hello, i am looking for Shenmue stuff, do you happen to sell some here?"
"Hmmmm Shenmue..."
Me : *shows Ryo's Mug"
"Aaaaah, Shenmue ! What a nostalgic feeling... sadly, it's rare and i am not selling any. Tried Mandarake?"
Me : "Yes, but they've told me to come here and talk to you..."
"Oh really..." "Have you tried Osaka ?"
Me : "no... but that's a bit far haha"
"Yeah indeed..."
Me : "well, thanks anyway"
"No problem. good luck"

Damn... even some old japanese dude made it clear that its going to be difficult to get my hands on Shenmue item.

If i ever go to Osaka (on a trip) i'll definetly check local stores... But i am assuming with world wide collectors, Shenmue items are out of stock, and on low quantities even if people do own some.

I will keep searching, but i have to say this is tiring. :cry:
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Mitsuzuki » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:40 am

How about that. So some things must really be just in the hands of collectors.

And it's both funny and sad the guy's response when he recognizes Shenmue.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mue 26 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:39 pm

What's the holy grail of all Shenmue collectables? That crazy expensive watch? That artbook Peter has (I've never seen anyone else with one of those)? If you could have any one Shenmue collectable, what would it be?

Imagine if you could get your hands on those sculptures that appear in the GDC 2000 video.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Mitsuzuki » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:10 pm

The Shenmue-branded watch in the orange box is probably considered to be the holy grail of Shenmue merchandise. But to be honest, there are quite a number of items that surface just as little, or not at all.

For example, CD cases. I've only seen two come up for sale once, and I have them. I know Peter has one as well. The hard shell cases come in different colours, most of which I've never seen for sale.

Calendars virtually never show up. There are three that I know of. There are a few pieces of Shenmue Gai merch that I've never seen for sale.

There are other examples. That's why the watch may be considered more desirable, but from a rarity standpoint I've seen it up at least three or four times. Even some phone cards are insanely hard to find.

The art book that you mentioned is very hard to find too. I was lucky enough to actually own three copies- one of which I sold to a member here.

The collectibles I'm looking for most are the last things I need for me to consider my collection "complete": the Ren and Shenhua mugs, the Ren/Niao Sun notebook, the Nozomi phone card and the Shenmue-themed Dreamcast box (it's actually a sleeve that goes over a regular DC box).

Shenmue collecting is awesome, but I've spent a lot of time, energy and money on it over the years and I'm looking forward to freeing those efforts up.

And I have a feeling those sculptures were just one-offs; so, basically impossible to acquire.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mue 26 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:20 pm

You had three of those art books? wow. I've always wondered, what art work is actually in there, is all of it online by now?

I remember seeing a Ren Notebook years back on either ebay or YJP, I almost bought it. Didn't know any of these things were so rare now.

And yeah I know those sculptures are one off, but someone somewhere must have them, maybe Yu Suzuki. I bet they would go for a killing on ebay lol
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Mitsuzuki » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:32 pm

Peter posted some pics of the art book in the gaming collection thread. I can try to dig up the link.

I also saw the Ren notebook on eBay years ago, and I'm kicking myself for not buying it. Back then, I wasn't as serious about collecting, and for some reason I didn't think the character illustrations were done very well! Because of that I wouldn't have paid much attention initially to those illustration featured on the notebooks, mugs, mouse pads, posters, phone cards and clear files. Now of course I love the artwork.

There was an eBay seller from Japan who used to sell Shenmue merchandise regularly, at great prices. He was singularly the best resource for finding stuff on eBay. Sadly, he's disappeared from selling some time ago, which is why there's been a void in that marketplace.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mue 26 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:23 pm

Man, if there's some exclusive artwork in that artbook that we don't already have access to, Peter or you needs to take pics of it all and upload it for the team!
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Mitsuzuki » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:37 pm

Yeah for sure. There aren't a lot of hi-res pics of some merchandise, so it would be great to update the media section here on the Dojo.

I've been kicking around the idea of creating a document showing all merchandise that's been released, along with whatever information is available; like when the merch was released and where, and in how many quantities. Basically whatever info is known on these items. I'd take pics of things I have, and look to the net for stuff I don't have. Then export the document as a pdf.

Would probably take awhile to do and would need the help of others on here, but it could be fun.

Mitsuzuki has received a thanks from: mue 26
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mue 26 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:44 pm

That would be a cool project.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby DEVILLE_David » Fri May 02, 2014 9:38 am

Upping the thread coz i might have an extra blue pamphlet from tokyo game show and not sure if i will sell it to fund the last items i am missing or if i will trade.

Anyone know how much it goes for nowadays ?
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue