What movie are you watching right now?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:45 pm

Amazing Spider-Man 2. Well...that was awful.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:09 pm

I get the feeling I'm going to disagree with a lot of people about Spider-Man 2...
I haven't seen it yet, but most of what I've heard so far isn't making it sound bad; rather, it's sounding like a continuation of the things I liked about the first movie.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:57 pm

Nope, it's not. I liked the first one and this is one convoluted mess of a movie. The pacing and tone are all over the place, the villains have crap motives (you'll see) and rushed, the romance cheesy as hell [despite the chemistry being good between Garfield and Stone; the dialogue was terrible and how dragged out some of the scenes are) and the acting off certain actors was a bad kind of hammy.

I thought the same as you, went in thinking I'd like it despite what was said about it by others I know, unfortunately I was wrong. It's not even half as good as the first one. :sad:

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Kenny » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:53 pm

It doesn't help that I didn't think the trailers were very good in the first place. This can very well screw over Sony's plans for Spiderman's Cinematic Universe, which I hope happens cause it can make a strong case for them to license the character for a future Avengers movie.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:26 pm

It's a shame as you can tell there's a good movie in there somewhere. It stinks of Sony sticking their nose in and telling Marc Webb that he had to do certain things so they can get this Sinister Six and Venom movie going. I enjoyed Spider-Man 3 but this does what everyone hated about that a lot worse. 2 out of the 3 villains are just so forced that it wouldn't surprise if the original script just had Electro and the others where added about an hour before the script had to be handed in.

I don't think it's awful as it has a few things going for it like Andrew Garfield and the action is some of the best in a Spider-Man film but for the most part it seems like meddling stopped it from being a great movie.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kenny » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:33 pm

jOBS.

Really disappointed. The script is fantastic and the direction is pretty good. The only thing that stops this from being great is Kelso himself. He tries his hardest and I can see why the filmmakers went with him, in some parts he's not bad. But ultimately, he was the wrong person to play Steve Jobs.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:03 pm

Inception for the 5th or so time. This time though on my new Sony TV that really brings out the visual brilliance.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:31 pm

Argo
Really enjoyed it. Ben Affleck has really found his feet as a director. I was never overly keen on his early roles like Pearl Harbour or that John Woo film. Whatever it's called.

I really liked the attention to detail in this film. Hollywood usually tends to fluff up the drama on "true stories". The film credits showed side by side photos of the film and documented photos of the incident. I also liked how real footage from news reports were used. Just added more to the tension and drama.

The Raid 2
I'm not so clear cut on this one. I think it deserves a second viewing. The martial arts were absolutely top notch. Better than the first in that respect.

It clocks in at almost two hours. It's a lot more a talky film than the first. Feels like an attempt to flesh out the characters after the first film was purpose built as an action showpiece.

Overall I liked it, but have a harder time admitting that over the first. I appreciated the fact I recognised one of the Japanese actors. I don't know the name, but he played Sugiuchi in Yakuza 4..

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: Axm
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Fri May 02, 2014 2:35 am

Amazing Spiderman 2.

I actually can't agree with Riku's and Henry's sentiments. I thought it was surprisingly good, very good in fact in some parts. There were many story arcs but I thought they transitioned very well, simply because they stuck to the basics for each character's arc and emphasized the main ideas behind each one (rather than beating around the bush constantly).

I thought Electro and Goblin were handled very well (even Rhino to an extent) but some of the jokes were a little too corny. Especially the whole Peter/Gwen thing going on, my god that went on longer than it needed to be. There were also a couple of other hammy performances (mostly dealing with the terrible "dramatic" dialogue) but ultimately that didn't detract from what I felt was a very good, solid movie.

You know, out of all the superhero movies that I've seen, all the Spidermans actually never let me down. Even the worst one, Spider-Man 3, is still enjoyable to watch. Sure, they're all a bit too campy (even this latest one couldn't escape its camp moments) but unlike all the Mans of Steels, the Dark Knights, or the X-Mans in the world I never came out feeling really disappointed or underwhelmed. I came out feeling really entertained and this one is no different.

Alright Sony, you got me. I'm ready for your spin-off movies. But for the record, I still want Spidey to be in Avengers plz.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Axm
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri May 02, 2014 9:43 pm

I really liked Amazing Spider-Man 2. They finally got Spider-Man right. The costume, the cracking wise, the mobility. But the part about the spider's venom reacting to Parker DNA was a horrible idea. One of the coolest things about Spider-Man was that it was just chance that Parker got bit and in turn got superpowers. The side story with his parents was unnecessary.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kenny » Sat May 03, 2014 2:53 am

I thought they were unnecessary too at first but the whole subplot revealed at the end was necessary to make the Harry and Peter connection stronger. Given they were heavily alluding to the fact Peter's parents were somehow REALLY important in this new trilogy, the payoff makes sense to me.

Would it have worked if they gotten rid of Peter's parents entirely? Yeah, probably. But then it wouldn't be too different from the Raimi films, which is what they're trying to distance themselves from.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sat May 03, 2014 2:07 pm

elfshadowreaper wrote:But the part about the spider's venom reacting to Parker DNA was a horrible idea. One of the coolest things about Spider-Man was that it was just chance that Parker got bit and in turn got superpowers.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but that particular aspect was actually in the comics. Of course, the comic version of Spidey exists in the same universe as the X-Men. And the intention was to say that even though he didn't have powers naturally, there was something in Peter's DNA that basically made him a mutant, like the X-Men, and that's why a radioactive spider benefited him instead of killing him.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sat May 03, 2014 2:25 pm

Are you talking about the original or ultimate? I know they made his parents a bigger part in ultimate but I don't know about the original.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat May 03, 2014 2:34 pm

OL wrote:
elfshadowreaper wrote:But the part about the spider's venom reacting to Parker DNA was a horrible idea. One of the coolest things about Spider-Man was that it was just chance that Parker got bit and in turn got superpowers.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but that particular aspect was actually in the comics. Of course, the comic version of Spidey exists in the same universe as the X-Men. And the intention was to say that even though he didn't have powers naturally, there was something in Peter's DNA that basically made him a mutant, like the X-Men, and that's why a radioactive spider benefited him instead of killing him.

I remember Spider-Man meeting the X-Men in the cartoons. If I remember right, Spidey was in the X-Men cartoon series rather than them being in his? Could be wrong though, they were both out around the same time.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Nahovil » Sun May 04, 2014 4:02 pm

Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic