What movie are you watching right now?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun May 04, 2014 4:47 pm

phpBB [video]

McBain: The Movie..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sat May 10, 2014 11:10 pm

Prisoners.

Really good movie so far.

EDIT: Saw it all the way to the end. Still though it was a great movie but man oh man, did it get totally improbable towards the end. I liked this better when it was a straight mystery thriller, just like Taken was a straight action thriller or Se7en was a straight murder mystery flick.

It shouldn't have had the BS twists and turns, it kind of ruined it near the end. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed it very much. It had my attention the entire way, which isn't what alot of movies have been doing for me anymore.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Thief » Sun May 11, 2014 7:11 am

^ what BS twists and turns? I thought the reveal was kind of hammy in the "now I gotta explain my motivations" sort of way... but it wasn't really BS or completely out of nowhere.

Saw it when it came out though so I don't remember everything.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Sun May 11, 2014 12:36 pm

The revelation about the maze structure, the kids who were heavily implied to be the kidnappers (including the line 'they didn't cry till I let them go' with a smug smile) but instead were red herrings to the real culprit which was the woman, the reason why they committed the atrocities against the kids in the first place (you're doing it to rage a War on God because your kid died of cancer...?), the switch and bait about the kids being dead.

There might be a couple more but those pushed the movie too far in the realm of implausibility for me. If this was something like Saw, I'd be totally forgiving but even then Jigsaw had a way better reason for doing the things he did.

It was more intense when it was straight forward. I guess on the script stage the writer felt the need to add more things to make it more unique, but it really could've been done without that stuff.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon May 12, 2014 6:37 am

Actually, that all sort of sounds like the kind of stuff the writer came up with first, then put together the plot afterward to get up to that point. Could be wrong, but that's what it sounds like.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Luvly KM » Mon May 12, 2014 12:11 pm

Chinese Coffee /2003/ Dir. Al Pacino

Great movie set in one room akin to My Dinner with Andre. Pacino is on fire, Mamet wishes he wrote it. The best film about being an author.
Luvly KM
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Thief » Tue May 13, 2014 10:20 pm

Kenny wrote:
The revelation about the maze structure, the kids who were heavily implied to be the kidnappers (including the line 'they didn't cry till I let them go' with a smug smile) but instead were red herrings to the real culprit which was the woman, the reason why they committed the atrocities against the kids in the first place (you're doing it to rage a War on God because your kid died of cancer...?), the switch and bait about the kids being dead.

There might be a couple more but those pushed the movie too far in the realm of implausibility for me. If this was something like Saw, I'd be totally forgiving but even then Jigsaw had a way better reason for doing the things he did.

It was more intense when it was straight forward. I guess on the script stage the writer felt the need to add more things to make it more unique, but it really could've been done without that stuff.

Hmm, yeah fair point I guess. It seems I'd forgotten much more about the movie than I thought I had. Still a damn good movie though.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Tue May 13, 2014 10:46 pm

Yeah it's still good, I give it a 8/10 because it was very entertaining. Had it not had those problems, I'd give it a 9 or maybe even a 10.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sat May 17, 2014 3:20 am

Godzilla (2014).

FUCK this FUCKING MOVIE.

How the FUCK do you make the Matthew Broderick movie look like Casa-FUCKING-blanca by comparison?!

I mean, fucking, GAAAAAAAHHH!!!
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat May 17, 2014 6:47 am

Kenny wrote: Godzilla (2014).

FUCK this FUCKING MOVIE.

How the FUCK do you make the Matthew Broderick movie look like Casa-FUCKING-blanca by comparison?!

phpBB [video]
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Sat May 17, 2014 4:14 pm

Kenny wrote: Godzilla (2014).

FUCK this FUCKING MOVIE.

No way dude lol, the 1998 film was utter trash from beginning to end. Godzilla (2014) is a love to letter to everyone who grew up watching Godzilla, Gamera, Daimajin, etc. There are so many easter eggs and references to them that it blew my mind. The people behind this film knew the source material and did is justice. The only real low part was the acting done by Aaron Taylor-Johnson, it was really really bad, but these movies were never about trying to win an Oscar for a screen play or performance. Not sure what is was you were expecting to see.

Raithos has received a thanks from: OL
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Sat May 17, 2014 5:33 pm

^^That reminds me, I need to buy Daimajin on bluray sometime soon. That series looks great.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sat May 17, 2014 6:23 pm

At least the 1998 Godzilla did stuff. This Godzilla hardly did anything.

Godzilla ain't even in it for more than a few minutes total plus the real stars of the thing were those Cloverfield knockoffs. And everytime a battle was going to happen...they cut away and just show the aftermath. W.T.F. I don't remember ANY of the Kaiju movies i've seen do any of that bullshit. And they kept fucking DOING IT. The first two times they treat it like it was a practical joke instead of a spectacle.

Godzilla has always been about the humans witnessing the travesty, trying to control it, and coming to terms with the destruction. Fine and dandy...but why does the human story SUCK SO MUCH GODDAMN ASS?! Aaron Taylor-Johnson wasn't the only problem (but considering he's the star, it's a BIG problem). Bryan Cranston sucked. Elizabeth Olsen sucked. Ken Watanabe sucked (seriously when he revealed the name Godzilla in such melodramatic fashion, people LAUGHED at it...TWICE). All the humans were completely DEVOID of ANY KIND of personality. I rather take the campy Jeno Reno/Matthew Broderick approach, as stupid as the gum chewing scenes were...at least it had SOME semblance of personality. This had NONE.

There was too much tacked-on melodrama and such banal interactions (seriously, the kid on the train subplot was a cheap hacky ploy to artificially make it seem that Aaron guy is a big time hero, I wanted to vomit over how tacky and unnecessary it was). And oh my GAWD, it started out so promising. But once the wooden acting and forced drama kicked in it became the real attraction. Such a boring story, it made even the ACTION boring as fuck as I could care less what was going on since there was no tension. It wouldn't have made a damn lick of difference if they call died. And that sucks cause the climax could've been better than what was showcased. It had that ONE good scene where he breaths down the monster's neck but by that point I just wanted to leave.

And the Cloverfield monsters were so uninspired and BORING as well. The build ups were slow and uneventful. Where's King Ghidorah? Where's Mothra? And besides the fact the Cloverfield Monsters were the real stars of the thing, Godzilla was not intimidating at all. He CAREFULLY wades through ships making sure he doesn't cause too much damage? What kind of bullshit is that? Godzilla is neither good nor evil, he just IS. He'll tear through shit without a care in the world cause he's an animal. He'll attack other monsters because he's territorial, not because he wants to save us. Obviously there are other interpretations of the character, but presenting a super hammy "he's owr sshhaaa-viooor" approach was fucking goddamn awful.

And WHO ATTACKS A 40 STORY MONSTER WITH FUCKING SUBMACHINE GUNS?! With Zilla, it made a bit more sense cause it was smaller and less armored. This motherfucker is HUGE and HULKING with tons of muscle. A fucking machine gun ain't gonna do JACK FUCKING SHIT. You fire missiles at the thing.

I never expected an Academy Award winning performance. I expected a good human story to tie into a good Godzilla story, with a couple of small battles before leading into the big climatic fight. I expected Godzilla to tear through shit, his (preferably more dangerous) adversary to tear through shit, Godzilla getting all territorial and kick its ass, then retreat to the ocean so it can recharge near the earth's core which instigates a worldwide search with people being divided as to whether or not kill Godzilla (for fear of him wrecking havoc on the world again) or leave him be (since he's the only one to ward off potentially more dangerous foes).

Instead I got a stinking pile of shit.

In conclusion, I'm still pissed off over this movie.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat May 17, 2014 6:46 pm

Wow, being in the movie industry must really kill your appreciation of other films as a movie goer. I could imagine it would be easy to dissect a film into oblivion after knowing the technical details that go into making one.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sat May 17, 2014 7:24 pm

Wow, being in the movie industry must really kill your appreciation of other films as a movie goer.

Except it doesn't. I'm just able to explain why I like or not like certain things whereas before I never really could explain it. I just either did or didn't.

Give me a film that doesn't suck, and i'll just simply enjoy it. Give me a film like that and i'll rain fire and brimstone as to why I hate it. Even Prisoners was still enjoyable despite the problems I had with it.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic