Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Batman/Superman

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue May 13, 2014 9:42 pm

Peeps have been waiting years to see a live-action Batsuit like this. Faith is slowly being restored.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Kenny » Tue May 13, 2014 11:25 pm

Costume looks cool.

I'm still concerned about the performance though.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Wed May 14, 2014 6:24 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: Peeps have been waiting years to see a live-action Batsuit like this.

Absolutely. This looks so much closer to the comics, being the good old gray and black that it always should have been. Even the mask is better. Less like a helmet than the other movies.

I think it looks great. I don't doubt that the movie is going to seem a bit overcrowded, what with the apparent excess of characters showing up, but I still think it'll be a fun ride. People have this idea that there's only one right way to do things: introducing characters in their own movies then teaming them up for separate movies (as Marvel have done). And yeah, it's a nice idea and all. But people also complain when we have to see the same origin stories redone every few years. People would still be bitching and moaning if there were a new Batman or Green Lantern series being put together already. In a way, this actually seems smart to me, throwing everyone into one movie so they can get the intros out of the way, then move on to bigger things later.
Either way, I think it'll be a fun flick, especially if they're pulling out visual design this good.

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Wed May 14, 2014 1:59 pm

Have to respectfully disagree.

Batman and Superman are the only ones who are getting constant reboots, so a film just presenting Batman with no backstory is perfectly alright. Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, and all the others never had their own movie. Green Lantern had that one so it would've been okay to shoe-horn him in Batman vs Superman with a different actor, but I for one don't know much about the other characters except one has an indestructible uterus, one can run really fast, and the other hangs out and rides with sea creatures.

It doesn't have much of an "event crossover" feel if you put everyone in one movie without giving them epic introductions in the form of their own movies or even a mini-series. Only thing it can have going for it is if they manage to craft a pretty kickass story without having the general public know about the backstories for the other characters, but given Man of Steel's lackluster story I really think the other individual movies would've been just as bad. So here's hoping for the best.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed May 14, 2014 2:11 pm

Yeah, but... the suit... I mean, honestly, I'm slightly in awe of it atm. And I reckon Ben has the perfect look for a more comic book-inspired Batman, so that alone could carry the film for me. Also, the thing that this film really has goin for itself is the number of people involved who are not only comic book fans, but are involved in the comic book industry itself.

If they manage to pull this off, this could (hopefully) open the floodgates, and see more films that are closer to comic books in actual style, rather than having to "translate" them to screen.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Wed May 14, 2014 4:05 pm

I'm always kind of concerned when fans helm the development process of anything. It's one thing to understand the original property in its respected medium and try to translate properly to another medium, but fans tend to create a glorified love letter about the property rather than add anything substantial to it.

Like with Peter Jackson, he's actually not a really big fan of Middle Earth. He really likes it and appreciates it, but he actually has a huge hard-on for King Kong. Because he wasn't a mega-fan, he was able to take out and add in things in that seem more appropriate for the movie adaptations rather than let his fanboyish intentions get in the way. As such, Tolkien fans have bitched and cried that alot was purposely left out but they didn't understand THEIR version would've made each movie 5-6 hours long. They have no understanding of translating material to other mediums and will never be satisfied.

Zack Synder did the opposite with Watchmen and stuck as close to the source material as humanely possible, which ended up hurting the movie because it was like...what's the point of watching the movie if I can just read the graphic novel? As an experience, it felt truncated and unfulfilling somehow. Like it mimicked the source but didn't capture the essence.

I'm starting to sound like a pretentious fuckwad now, i'll just end with saying whoever they get I hope they can concentrate on making something not just entertaining but monumentally eventful...because that's what people are expecting now in the wake of the Avengers films.

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Wed May 14, 2014 6:02 pm

Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed May 14, 2014 6:32 pm

I preferred the Watchmen film to the actual series. And Sin City was awesome n'all. I'm not after direct adaptations, but done in a style that's actually fitting to the source material instead of just taking the characters and putting then on screen.

Anyway, they really need to brighten up the Hopeman costume to contrast with Bats. I know Snyder's said that it's more of a "mental battle" between the two, but this is the first time they've been on the big screen together, meaning tye night & day aspect has to be played on. I dunno how they will though considering the ending of MoS (thank you for the spoilers btw, internet!)
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed May 14, 2014 8:25 pm

The ending to Man of Steel didn't darken him too much, I think. There's one particular act he has to do that seems really dark, but once that's over and done with, he seems fine. In fact, I'd say the last few minutes of the film show him in a much more "accurate" light than the rest of it. He's boring for the majority of the movie, but then he suddenly seems to have a personality right at the end (after the badguys are beaten, before the credits roll I mean). Hopefully that carries over. I think Henry Cavill could be the best on-screen Supes ever, he just needs a better script.

Going back to the introduction of multiple characters at once, an interesting possibility strikes me. The comics themselves have usually introduced characters without revealing their origins first, then elaborated on them later on. We don't really know the extent to which the other characters are going to appear in this particular movie at the moment; for all we know, they might just be there at first to illustrate that there are other super-powered beings on Earth besides Superman, with basic bit parts here and there. And then from there, Warner Bros. would have the smart option to give individual movies to those characters afterward based on audience demand. Sort of a reverse-Marvel method, without having to go too far into whichever characters the audience decides aren't very interesting.
As much as I like the Avengers, I almost think this method might be better; you can get to the meaty stuff without having to sit through individual movies for lame-ass characters like Thor. I wouldn't mind that at all.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed May 14, 2014 9:02 pm

I thought Thor was pretty jokes tbh. Typical time-travel type comedy, but it was well done. But yeah, look at the X-Men films. Unless you count the first one as a Rogue origin, there were only two origin stories... Wolverine and X-Men as a "thing".

You don't really need to know how a hero came to be. In many cases it doesn't even matter. I never knew about the "made from clay" thing about Wonder Woman til last year, and I grew up with Wally West Flash and Stewart/Rayner Green Lantern. Just because I hadn't read any Barry Allen stories or know that the GL Corps was defunct when Kyle wore the ring didn't change anything story-wise. I knew what was going on and liked the characters without havin to think "Yeah, but how does she fly? Who made his costume? What childhood tragedy motivated him to dedicate his life to dropping imaginary green pianos on alien criminals' heads?"

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: OL, Thief
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Wed May 14, 2014 9:30 pm

^ Same reason why it doesn't matter why or how a zombie (or whatever) outbreak happened. It's about people dealing with the situation they're in -- not a brief history special.

Thief has received a thanks from: OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kenny » Thu May 15, 2014 2:54 am

I think that's kinda how the Michael Keaton Batman started out. He just WAS and then they kinda explained his deal and tied Nicholson Joker to the parent's death. But you already start with him as Batman.

I dunno about the XMEN comparison. They always worked as a unit like Fantastic Four. I guess my chief concern is that a character like Wonder Woman deserves more than a glorified cameo. Unfortunately, based on what little I looked up on her, her origins and villains are uber-lame. Except for like, what, Ares? Hades? Or any of the greek gods for that matter.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Thu May 15, 2014 10:49 am

Kenny wrote:I guess my chief concern is that a character like Wonder Woman deserves more than a glorified cameo.

Aside from the fact that Wonder Woman's origin is indeed pretty lame (definitely agree there, though I still like her more than Thor), I think many people forget that comicbooks and the characters in them have always been intended for serialization. Superheroes generally aren't meant for one-off stories. And in that light, I think it's important to keep in mind that these movies are intended to be turned into multi-film franchises, and shouldn't entirely be taken as singular entities. If Wonder Woman makes only a short appearance in this one, you can bet that she'll be showing up in another movie. The idea that characters won't be getting the screentime they deserve shouldn't be much of a worry, because the intention is for them to show up again later.
This is likely why I have less of a problem with a multitude of sequels than many others do, and also why I don't mind hearing about studios having giant plans for spinoffs and that kind of thing (such as Sony's current plans for Spider-Man). Being an old comicbook dork, I guess I'm used to the idea of things playing out in serial form.

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu May 15, 2014 1:29 pm

That's exactly how Warner/DC is approaching these new set of films, releasing one or two of them with all the main cast then their own spinoffs. It would've been cool if they did the next couple in pairs before JL (Wonder Woman/Flash, Green Lantern/Aquaman).

Then again I'm more of a fan of the crossover idea than I am of having all them just show up in one movie. Another reason why I'm excited for Days of Future Past.

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Wed May 21, 2014 2:02 pm