Yakuza series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Yakuza series

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed May 21, 2014 5:20 pm

There's a new interview published by Gaming Bolt concerning Yakuza Ishin!

Benefits of the game running on PS4, a Western release, and Xbox One plans.

Yakuza is a name that is connected with Sony since the PlayStation One days. Almost every major game in the series has been an exclusive to the PlayStation platform so it was only obvious that Yakuza Ishin will make its way to the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3.

Why did you decide to make Yakuza Ishin a spin-off, instead of the next main entrry in the franchise?
We had the idea of making a spin-off based on the Edo era from the start. In the previous Yakuza 5 game, we were able to put one break off to the modern time version and wanted to add more of an RPG type of gameplay in the next title. We felt the idea of the new game and the time setting of the Edo era matched and so Yakuza Ishin was created.

What does the PlayStation 4 allow you to do with Yakuza Ishin as opposed to PlayStation 3?
The gameplay quality for both systems are exactly the same. We developed the game so that players won’t see any difference. However, with the enhanced capabiltiies of the PS4 graphical qualities will reflect that.

What sets Yakuza Ishin apart from previous games in the franchise?
One big difference is the battle system. In the modern Yakuza game, the main battle was fighting with bare hands but in Yakuza Ishin, you can switch your battle style at anytime from the 4 different styles, which allows for much more exhilarating feeling of fighting than the previous titles. Also, the volume of customizing your own weapon and level up features are the most in the series and allow players to customize things in various ways dependant on the individual’s playstyle. They can power up weapons and skills. We think the game genre has changed from action adventure to action RPG with Yakzua Ishin.

What was the inspiration to go with Japan’s Edo period thats between 1603 and 1868, instead of something else?
We chose this era because we wanted to create a story based on Ryoma Sakamoto, a hero who existed at the end of the Edo era.

Has the combat system been changed in any particular way for Yakuza Ishin if you were to compare it to older games?
As noted previously, we changed the battle system to allow players to change the style from 4 types. In Yakuza Kenzan, where we had Musashi Miyamoto as the main hero, we had a system where we had styles changing dependent on the weapon you use, but in Yakuza Ishin, we enhanced this feature and made the battle to be more up-tempo.

What was your biggest challenge while developing Yakuza Ishin?
The biggest challenge we had while developing the game was the connecting feature with PS Vita. If you have PS Vita, you can level up even when you are outside, so we had hard time estimating the playtime using the 2 platforms and adjusted the game balance considering this.

How long does it to take to finish the main storyline?
If you just go through the main story, it would be about 15 hours.

Will Yakuza Ishin ever get a western release considering the fact that it’s the #1 PlayStation 4 game in Japan?
There are currently no plans at this time.

How long was Yakuza Ishin in development?
It was 1 year.

Why did you decide to make the game on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, instead of just PlayStation 4 or just PlayStation 3?
For both PS3 and PS4, we wanted to have as many people as possible to play the game.

What kind of challenges did you faced for the PlayStation 4 version, specifically given the fact that it’s running in full 1080p resolution and 60fps?
It changed from 30fps to 60fps, so we had to adjust the collision detection of the actions animations and AI which were used in 30fps to fit 60fps. Also, we changed the things like resolution and compression ratio of motion data to better ones. We didn’t feel that much challenge to these things.

What are your thoughts on the PlayStation 4’s unified GDDR5 memory and how has this helped in the development process?
The benefit is that it allows putting on things like huge design data as it is on the memory. We feel that we won’t have any problem with the memory thanks to this.

The game looks absolutely goregous on the PS4, how are you using the GPU to have performance gains in Yakuza Ishin?
Higher quality of visual effects like real time shadows are used in PS4 using the GPU’s power.

It’s a well-known fact that the PS3 is hard to develop for but at the same time the PS4 is easy to adapt to. How did you go about developing the PS4 in terms of assets creation and memory usage?
This time, we created common assets and then worked on optimizing those assets for the PS3 and PS4. After that, we worked on how much we can do to pull out the machine power of PS4 and show the game in rich quality.

Do you think the game will be ported to the Xbox One? If not, why?
There are currently no plans at this time.

...SEGAAAAA!!
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Cave Johnson » Thu May 22, 2014 2:37 am

"no plans at this time" : meaning right now at the time of the interview they have no plans to announce western release. My "hopeful" interpretation of this interview is that they had no intention to announce it to some random gaming site. It's going to be E3 or nothing.

Cave Johnson has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
Cave Johnson
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: SHMUPS

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:40 am

Ryu Ga Gotoku producers Toshihiro Nagoshi and Masayoshi Yokoyama have confirmed that the next game in the series is underway to Famitsu magazine in Japan.

The two stopped short of confirming this to be Yakuza 6, but did say the new game will not be a spin-off entry like Yakuza: Ishin & Kenzan or Dead Souls.

Once again, it'll be a cross-gen release on both PS3 & PS4.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Neo Matrix » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:53 pm

I wonder how much it would be to import Ishin...

On a completely different tangent, I recently found the first of the PSP spin-offs in my regular karaoke spot. So I think that means I'm only missing the second one of those, Ishin and Yakuza 5 from my collection.
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:42 pm

Neo Matrix wrote:I wonder how much it would be to import Ishin...

On a completely different tangent, I recently found the first of the PSP spin-offs in my regular karaoke spot. So I think that means I'm only missing the second one of those, Ishin and Yakuza 5 from my collection.

About the same price as a new game, actually. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... u&_sacat=0

Yakuza 5 costs around the £20 mark now, too.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:43 pm

Looking at this topic is fucking painful. Just gimme Y5 already.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:52 pm

Sega has really irked me since they killed off Yakuza in the west. Im so angry I dont even wanna touch Yakuza 3 or 4. I guess im just like why should I continue if they arent going to? I really enjoyed the first 2 games and what little I played of the 3rd. But its too hard of a pill to swallow not getting the remaining games, and enough time has passed to convince me that they arent going to localize the 5th game and that more than likely means the rest of the games too. I was talking about this in another topic, but there goes another of the few remaining games I enjoy not coming out. Gaming is just getting less and less appealing.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:24 pm

I do agree to some extent (there's not much out there at the moment that's really getting me fired up), but I would still urge you to play through Yakuza 3 and 4. If ever there was a fitting end to the series, it was Y4. No cliffhangers, nothing left untied. Not to mention it's absolutely the best of the ones we've gotten, from a gameplay perspective. Amazing game, so I'd suggest playing it. You won't regret it afterward.

Oh, and I don't know how many remember it, but back in the day it actually took them 2 freakin' years to bring Yakuza 2 over. The Japanese got it in 2006 (only a year after the first) and we got it in 2008. That was a killer wait for those of us who'd played the first immediately and were unsure if we'd get the second.
So I still haven't lost all hope for Y5 yet. Not too much time has passed. The rumors about maybe Atlus hitting it up at some point sounded like good logic, so I'm still holding out.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:39 pm

I hope you are right OL. Kazuma and his cast of crazy yakuza friends (and enemies) really were charming. Its hard to even say thing about the gangster/mob genre, but they really were charming well done characters.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: OL
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:08 pm

OL wrote: Oh, and I don't know how many remember it, but back in the day it actually took them 2 freakin' years to bring Yakuza 2 over. The Japanese got it in 2006 (only a year after the first) and we got it in 2008.

Just looking at Wikipedia and we got Yakuza 2 a year and 9 months after Japan.
Yakuza 5 came out in December 2012 meaning it will cross that mark soon and we haven't even had an announcement.

I honestly can't see it coming out in the west at this point. I think it's shocking we got Yakuza 2 that long after the Japan release and for the PS2 after the PS3 had been out for about 2 years. It seems like after this Christmas the big publishers want to push away from the 360/PS3 generation and once they do pretty much everyone follows. The pattern with the last 3 games seems to be a March release so after March came and went this year I pretty much gave up any hope. I'd say the March coming is about the last realistic shot we have although I can't convince myself.

Man was it nice having 3 Yakuza games in 3 years though. I'm guessing the sales of Dead Souls must have been pretty bad to stop them keeping up the pattern. I didn't even think we would get that game here and we would only ever get the main entries but it could well have been the one that ended Yakuza in the west. SEGA must have been happy with the sales of 3&4 to announce the following games without the hesitation they had with brining over 2,3 and 5.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: AnimeGamer183
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby OL » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:06 pm

This is totally random, but playing through Yakuza 2 at the moment, it's making me miss Kazuma's old hairstyle. In the PS2 games it looked a little shorter and closer to his head, while the PS3 games have it a bit longer and poofier. I like the older style.
Totally inane detail, but hey, we've all got our preferences.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:17 pm

I agree with Riku, I think dead souls may have killed the series in the west. I know they made a statement saying they didnt develop Y5 with a western release in mind like the previous games (and who knows that statement could have been a load of shit itself), and that may be the real answer, but that still could have been decided because of the dead souls sales. You would think they would figure out that one of the main entries would obviously turn better sales than the spin off though? Its perplexing either way.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:43 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:I know they made a statement saying they didnt develop Y5 with a western release in mind like the previous games (and who knows that statement could have been a load of shit itself)

Yeah, that sounds like bullshit to me. Just the idea that the other ones were made with a western release in mind, I mean. I've been reading old interviews lately, and Nagoshi was even saying back then that the series was specifically being made as something very Japanese, and he didn't seem too worried about its success elsewhere. Sega might have wanted it to be palatable worldwide, but the actual development team wasn't thinking of it like that.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:16 pm

Well the PS3 should still be relevant in 2015 and possibly 2016. We know Tales of Zestiria is coming out over here for it, and that will probably be one of the last PS3 games released, and I cant imagine it coming out any time sooner than a year from now. So there may still be a sliver of hope left for Y5, as slim as it might be... Then again, they may just skips Y5 and go straight to Y6 on PS4, who knows.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:59 pm

Yeah, maybe. I personally just don't think the PS3 is as dead as some are implying. I mean, everyone is trying to get gamers to move on to the next gen as much as they can. But I'm not feeling it at all yet, and most people I know are the same. "Next Gen" hasn't really caught on as much as they want us to believe. It's really slow-going so far.
As long as that's still the case (which it could be for a good while; the PS3 certainly hasn't shuffled off yet, and the PS2 took a long time to do so as well), I think we have more chance of getting more PS3 imports before its time is up.
It's a minor point, but even Xillia 2 is at least a month older than RGG5, and that's still being prepped for release here.
Maybe I'm just overly-optimistic, but dammit, I really want Yakuza 5. There's still demand for it, if only from the niche audience, and it's hard for me to believe that Sega could be so dumb as to skip it entirely.
OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming