NeoGAF: New Japanese trademark from Sega (Shenmue)

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: NeoGAF: New Japanese trademark from Sega (Shenmue)

Postby SnowyHarbor » Thu May 22, 2014 7:17 pm

Yeah, Adam makes some good level-headed points there.

Also regarding his comments about a mobile game.. and LanDC's thoughts.. even though obviously it wouldn't be nearly as preferable to Shenmue 3 or 1/2 HD I wouldn't mind a mobile Shenmue game as I'd think it'd be better than nothing for sure. Sadly it would probably have very little chance of being released outside of Japan. But would they even try to make another mobile attempt after what happened to Shenmue Gai? Since they already went that route I'm thinking the trademark is just for merchandise/retention-of-rights orrrr HD/3 :)
SnowyHarbor
Asia Travel Representative

Steam: オロ_oro
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue 2

Postby ShenSun » Thu May 22, 2014 8:11 pm

Well put it this way, every year we get our hopes up when E3 rolls around. This is based on no evidence. At least this time we have something to go off on..........................................before we get disappointed again :(

Personally I dont want Shenmue HD. I think they should reboot the series, or make 1 Shenmue game with shen 1,2 and 3 combined.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby SnowyHarbor » Thu May 22, 2014 8:46 pm

Yeah, we do have some good buzz and a little bit of potential evidence this time which is nice. We have to keep level-headed like Adam/Peter though because the last 50 anticipations turned up nothing. At the same time don't give up! Keep tweeting/sharing/writing/etc.. It'll happen sooner or later damn it even if it's me funding the whole effin thing myself in 10 years when I'm rich ;)

I agree a combo of all 3 would be great.. from a convenience standpoint, and for introducing players who did not play 1 & 2 originally. I'm cool with an HD combo too but hopefully they'd show it some love rather than just upscale it. The series deserves better than that. I think ShenmueTree's thoughts of a combo with added cut-out content would be epic. Either way I'd just love for some Shenmue game product to come out so that I could vote for it with my money, and maybe once they see some money roll in from all the dedicated fans they'd realize that making 3 has earning potential.

Here I go thinking way too much about it haha. I say keep a level head but to be honest I spent all day half-working-half-shenmue-rumor-googling hahah. Maybe we should start a support group / suicide hotline where we can talk about our feelings after each rumor? :P

SnowyHarbor has received a thanks from: ShenSun
SnowyHarbor

Steam: オロ_oro
Currently playing: Shenmue 2

Postby ShenSun » Thu May 22, 2014 9:03 pm

Dont worry SnowyHarbor, im sure every Shenmue fan has been googeling away today :p

Cant we get Rakim or Kiryu to translate that image completely?
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby KX-5 » Thu May 22, 2014 10:24 pm

ShenSun wrote: Well put it this way, every year we get our hopes up when E3 rolls around. This is based on no evidence. At least this time we have something to go off on..........................................before we get disappointed again :(

Personally I dont want Shenmue HD. I think they should reboot the series, or make 1 Shenmue game with shen 1,2 and 3 combined.

Lol I feel you Shen, it's been this way for 10-11 years. At least this year we have a LITTLE something even if it's not too much :/. But we still have to keep hope alive, if anything Shenmue has a wider fan base now than it had ten years ago. I agree if they DO pursue this the only way to make it work is through a reboot. It gives the older fans a new experience while still making it (hopefully) interesting enough to the new younger generations to want to pick it up. I like your idea of one Shenmue game with all 16 chapters on it. Hell with how huge blu rays are they could even redo 1 & 2 on one disc and have the 3rd game be on a second disc. Both to give it the old multi-disc feel and make the game even larger and epic. I would love to see them implement all of the ideas they were forced to scrap in 1 & 2 just to make things a bit different aside from the graphic overhaul.

KX-5 has received a thanks from: ShenSun
KX-5
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Shadow_Exodus
Currently playing: L.A. Noire

Postby Wolfgame » Thu May 22, 2014 10:32 pm

At the very least it's nice to see so much excitement and activity. The fanboy in me is of course freaking out, ill be watching segas activity over E3 very closely.
Wolfgame
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Locke_cole » Fri May 23, 2014 1:21 am

Come oooooon Lucky Hit mobile App

Locke_cole has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Himuro, Supa
Locke_cole
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Axm » Fri May 23, 2014 3:46 am

Its always something now these days isnt it.. This does seem strange though to do right before E3. With our luck though..heh..

Axm has received a thanks from: Supa
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby BlueMue » Fri May 23, 2014 6:25 am

In case anyone is still wondering about the mysterious downtime of shenmue.com. I've been informed that some of Sega's servers have been attacked about 10 days ago and a lot of their sites are down right now.

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... 40512_0%2F

They don't actually list shenmue.com but it's easy to conclude that it's affected by the server attack just like the other sites.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Supa
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Esppiral » Fri May 23, 2014 7:45 am

I do think if they want the return of Shenmue to be succesfull the worst they can do is Shenmue I & Shenmue II HD, the controls had aged badly, it won't appeal to current playes, I think the graphics haven't aged that bad though, specially after playing it in HD on emulator.

Shenmue III is also a bad idea, most people nowadays may know the brand Shenmue, but not its plot and story so it won't attract many new players.

I think the perfect thing to do is relase SHENMUE, a reboot containing the whole trilogy, I, II and III, updated controls and graphics, it will appeal to a wider range of players, otherwise I don't think it will be succesfull imho.

Esppiral has received a thanks from: Yama
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby ShenSun » Fri May 23, 2014 7:46 am

Ok Dojo, I just got a very reliable person to translate and summarize that image for me. Here's what he had to say.

"It's hard to intuit that sort of potential motive. It looks like a typical trademark application that includes rights for everything under the sun. There's lots of general use terms that refer to games specifically, but then there's general merchandising stuff like cell phone straps, covers, etc. On the games front specifically, it's worth noting that the trademark covers not only home consoles, but also cell phones/portables (the terminology for "portable" in Japanese in this case is all encompassing), and PCs. A lot of the terms are pretty redundant and are just there to include transmission medium and whatnot, too, which I guess is a thing with Japanese patents. Towards the end of that image, they do mention download images, music, and video files. I'm not sure if that's standard practice for downloadable games there or not, as the actual programming isn't mentioned like it is elsewhere.

Hard to say. Really wouldn't read too much into the prominence of the word "ROM" though. It's all in reference to cartridges and I'm pretty sure that's just put in carte blanche with game-related trademarks in general.

Hope that helps~"

Last edited by ShenSun on Fri May 23, 2014 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShenSun has received 3 thanks from: KX-5, Mitsuzuki, SnowyHarbor
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby jackmonte1987 » Fri May 23, 2014 8:28 am

BlueMue wrote: In case anyone is still wondering about the mysterious downtime of shenmue.com. I've been informed that some of Sega's servers have been attacked about 10 days ago and a lot of their sites are down right now.

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... 40512_0%2F

They don't actually list shenmue.com but it's easy to conclude that it's affected by the server attack just like the other sites.

I don't know where their site is hosted, but the domain name is hosted by brightsconsulting.com. It's DNS is using 2 name servers:

fixer.sega.co.jp 157.109.66.1
ns2.sega.co.jp 202.32.221.117

I looked at the list of sites you gave and found that another site borderbreak.com also uses the name servers. But guess what? That site is up and well. The Shenmue site being down is something else entirely, don't know what, but something.
jackmonte1987

XBL: thecurse0101

Postby jackmonte1987 » Fri May 23, 2014 8:36 am

All of the websites that have been affected have been restored today, actually. According to Sega
jackmonte1987

XBL: thecurse0101

Postby Lan Di-sama » Fri May 23, 2014 10:08 am

Is it typical for a website to go down before a revamped website launches? Why can't they redesign the website, while keeping the old one up, until the new one is ready to go live?
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenmueTree » Fri May 23, 2014 10:17 am

Lan Di-sama wrote: Is it typical for a website to go down before a revamped website launches? Why can't they redesign the website, while keeping the old one up, until the new one is ready to go live?

I think it happens pretty often but I'm not sure.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates