NeoGAF: New Japanese trademark from Sega (Shenmue)

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: NeoGAF: New Japanese trademark from Sega (Shenmue)

Postby Rom » Wed May 28, 2014 12:58 pm

ShenSun wrote:
elfshadowreaper wrote: What makes you think that guy works at SOA?

He left the same post on shenmue500k under the same name. When you press on that name it shows his profile, stating that he has worked for SOA for the past 10 years.

Looking at his Facebook profile, I don't think he works or has ever worked at SEGA. His profile even says that he went to "Yokosuka High School". Looks like a fanboy to me.
Rom
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Giorgio » Wed May 28, 2014 1:11 pm

Rom wrote:
ShenSun wrote:
elfshadowreaper wrote: What makes you think that guy works at SOA?

He left the same post on shenmue500k under the same name. When you press on that name it shows his profile, stating that he has worked for SOA for the past 10 years.

Looking at his Facebook profile, I don't think he works or has ever worked at SEGA. His profile even says that he went to "Yokosuka High School". Looks like a fanboy to me.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=47045&start=120#p1073293
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby CodingGenesis » Wed May 28, 2014 3:55 pm

Finally!

That may be a little offtopic, but I happen to visit http://www.sega.jp/ every now and then and yesterday I stumbled upon a news release which has been posted just yesterday.

The Original News Post

Which roughly translates into this (I have done my best to provide a somewhat faithful translation. Please don't go too harsh on me since English is not my first language ;-). I guess it's good enough to understand the message, though.).

Sega of Japan wrote:http://sega.jp/topics/140527_0/

Information Concerning The Unauthorized Access To Some Of Our Web Servers

May 27, 2014
Sega Corporation

We report again about the unauthorized access to our web servers, which became clear on May 12. According to the results of a detailed investigation, any harm such as leakage of personal information could not be confirmed.

We take this incident seriously and the security of our web servers is currently being enhanced.

Therefore, the affected websites will temporarily be out of service. The websites on which restoration work has been completed will gradually be reopened, but some websites will continue not being available. Furthermore, some features on the already reopened websites won't be available as well.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you very much for your understanding.

I keep wondering if this incident has something to do with shenmue.com being offline. I could totally understand if Sega would not relaunch the website, since (let's be honest) the information there was totally out-dated, there hasn't been any major update for years and Shenmue as a game is not alive at the time. What purpose could it serve to relaunch that old stuff? If that should happen to be the case, it would explain why shenmue.com has not shown up on the lists previously published by Sega of Japan on which they mentioned the websites affected by the attack and being relaunched again. Just my personal thoughts, though.
CodingGenesis
Rockman X

PSN: CodingGenesis
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Changes on a daily basis.

Postby BallisticFaceGuy » Wed May 28, 2014 7:50 pm

elfshadowreaper wrote:
ShenSun wrote:He left the same post on shenmue500k under the same name. When you press on that name it shows his profile, stating that he has worked for SOA for the past 10 years.

Ok. I can see employees of SOA not knowing about a future Shenmue release, especially if Sega of Japan wants to keep it secret until the big reveal. And this is one game they will really want to make a lot of noise about. I just feel like they've had more than a decade of people constantly talking about Shenmue all around the internet and that's got to be good advertisement for people who haven't played the game. So if they do announce a new game those who haven't played the games will understand it's been a long time coming and probably worth checking out.

snanime wrote:Here is a very possible scenario:
Either Shenmue HD or A Shenmue Mobile App, it features all mini games from Shenmue Series. I personally don't mind but id rather much see Shenmue 3. :heart:

I really couldn't care less about a mobile game unless it's a way to get us the full sequel/remake.

Still no shenmue.com. I'm sure I'm blowing it out of proportion but I'm very hopeful because of what's happened in the last year, let alone in the past two to three months. But sometimes I wonder if it's better to just forget about a Shenmue sequel until the gaming world explodes with an announcement. And if it never happens, it never happens.

From a business standpoint, it would be a bad idea to simply state that they will not be making any more Shenmue games in the future. You may think that it's a horrible idea to string the fanbase along, and sure enough, I agree, but imagine if they finally came out and said they'd never revisit the series.

Some fans might experience a sense of closure and realize there's absolutely no reason to hope for more, others would be furious because Sega dropped one of their favorite franchises, but likely most if not all of these fans would boycott or simply stop supporting Sega.

The unfortunate reality is that whether we are closer to getting another Shenmue or not, Sega will probably not say outright that they will never continue the series as long as there is ever a snowball's chance in hell that they could make money off of it.

The same thing was said of the Mega Man series. Yes, they canceled Mega Man Legends 3, and they said they will probably not resume active development on it any time in the near future, but they also tip-toed around the future of the Mega Man series in general. They assured fans that when the time is right, they will do something with it, but the only thing that means is that at some point, they'll make something related to Mega Man. This is such a broad blanket statement that they could mean anything from a sequel to the tablet Mega Man X-Over to a full-on console Mega Man game could eventually be made in the future.

Edit: Of course in my last paragraph, when I say "they", I mean Capcom, not Sega.
BallisticFaceGuy
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: Mario Kart 8

Postby elfshadowreaper » Wed May 28, 2014 8:49 pm

I loved playing legends 1 but never beat it. I also picked up 2 but didn't beat it either. My fondest memory from 1 was kicking a can around. My fondest memory from 2 was being in snow.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Esppiral » Thu May 29, 2014 12:31 pm

Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby elfshadowreaper » Thu May 29, 2014 1:43 pm

Whenever developers/console companies say there's an impending reveal and they use the phrases "massive significance," "unexpected" or "something people will be really excited about" it never turns out to be anything I care about or would even classify as meriting any of those phrases. There are only a handful of games that I would call massively significant, unexpected or something people will be really excited about and feel I wasn't just trying to attract attention.

Those in no specific order would be:
Shenmue 3/remake (duh!)
Beyond Good and Evil 2
Another Earthbound game
Half Life 3
The Last Guardian

And that list is based only on what I've read for years online. Aside from Shenmue those other games don't mean anything to me, so I'm not saying that's my wish list.(I've played BGAE and the Team Ico games but I'm not eager to play their sequels) I just know people really want them thus making their release "massively significant." It's no surprise if another Uncharted, COD, Halo, Mario, DOA, FF, Sonic, Lego, Silent Hill or a racing version of any of the previously mentioned franchises is made.

elfshadowreaper has received 2 thanks from: CodingGenesis, FlagshipFighter
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenSun » Thu May 29, 2014 6:13 pm

Did a quick drawing

ShenSun has received 5 thanks from: CodingGenesis, FlagshipFighter, Giorgio, SnowyHarbor, 5150
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby CodingGenesis » Fri May 30, 2014 2:58 am

A "quick drawing"? Nice one!

CodingGenesis has received a thanks from: ShenSun
CodingGenesis
Rockman X

PSN: CodingGenesis
Currently playing: Changes on a daily basis.

Postby spinksy » Fri May 30, 2014 5:34 am

Just seen this on twitter from the official Xbox one magazine..............

Last edited by spinksy on Fri May 30, 2014 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

spinksy has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
spinksy

XBL: spinksy777
Currently playing: Shenmue, skies of Arcadia

Postby Axm » Fri May 30, 2014 5:41 am

Thats nice. Old news from a few months ago but nice.

Axm has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby spinksy » Fri May 30, 2014 6:10 am

Oh sorry didnt realise it was old news. Someone just posted it on twitter like it was fresh news (my bad)
spinksy

XBL: spinksy777
Currently playing: Shenmue, skies of Arcadia

Postby Axm » Fri May 30, 2014 7:59 am

No its all good. Great to see publicity.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby SnowyHarbor » Fri May 30, 2014 2:04 pm

Mmm E3. I'm wrapping up a 6 month work project next week which works out perfectly so I can take E3 off. Obviously Shenmue is on the mind but either way it should be fun.. it's always my favorite time of the year.

Also regarding shenmue.com I snooped around in old cached code and such but couldn't locate any files or hints or anything worth noting.. I even emailed the admin and asked them about the site but they didn't respond (go figure.. you shouldn't tell other people that don't own a site about site details lol). Oh well it was worth a shot. Let's just be patient now and see what happens ^^.

Alsooo you all that joined the Dojo around early 2000's are badass haha (not to mention the creators, my thanks to you ^^). I take it right after you played Shenmue II you signed up hoping for more info or to find somewhere to talk about it? I imported II for DC a couple years after it came out. I was a little behind the curve because I got my DC a bit late and randomly found out about Shenmue by seeing and renting it at a Blockbuster (after reading the back of the game case I was sold :P). I didn't really start lurking here until the later part of the first decade of 2000 (that sounds disturbingly long ago hah). Anyways it's nice to finally have a place to chat with other people that share the same love for the franchise, and probably similar other things that are in the game like Japan, martial arts, etc :D. Sorry I tend to be long winded sometimes if you hadn't noticed haha.. I'm just stoked and can't help myself \m/

SnowyHarbor has received a thanks from: ShenSun
SnowyHarbor
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Steam: オロ_oro
Currently playing: Shenmue 2

Postby ShenSun » Fri May 30, 2014 3:40 pm

Glad to have you with us SnowyHarbor :)

ShenSun has received a thanks from: SnowyHarbor
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates