NeoGAF: New Japanese trademark from Sega (Shenmue)

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: NeoGAF: New Japanese trademark from Sega (Shenmue)

Postby Esppiral » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:57 am

tomboz wrote:
Esppiral wrote: I totally lost my hopes, honestly I thought that MS was the only one able to moneyhat Shenmue, after the conference..., bye Ryo T_T

The real kick in the teeth was Phil Spencer's closing remarks in which he harped on about how Microsoft listened to what people wanted and had backed games accordingly. Given that he's openly acknowledged that Shenmue is the biggest request they receive I can't help but question his motives.

What he should have said is; 'We listen to requests to an extent but will only support projects with minimal risk attached'. From a business point of view I understand the reasoning - but why ask what people want when we're going to end up with Assassins Creed, Halo, GOW and COD et al regardless? Ultimately today's generation will buy whatever you put in front of them providing it has blood and killing. Until that changes the idea that gamers have any say over what gets made by big developers is little more than an illusion.

You are totally right and the Sony conference was even worse with faked letters and requests ](*,)
I mean if you are going to ignore what gamers are asking for ( shenmue was on the top 3 on both sony and MS) don't remark over and over again on your E3 that you have listened it is like if they were laughing out loud all over my face the entire show. :roll: <
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby CodingGenesis » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:13 am

True. But let's not forget that Shenmue is a request made by fans. What does it help that Shenmue is in the top 3 on both lists if Sega does not want to make a game. Shenmue is Sega's IP after all and as long as they don't make an announcement or show interest in making another Shenmue, there is nothing Sony and Microsoft could possibly do. Don't get me wrong, I understand you and I, too, had slight hope, but let's put everything into perspective. It's Sega's decision what the future of Shenmue will be and no press conference of any system owner will change that. It's neither Sony's nor Microsoft's decision to make another Shenmue (or a Shenmue remake). It's solely up to Sega.
CodingGenesis
Rockman X
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: CodingGenesis
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Changes on a daily basis.

Postby Giorgio » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:04 am

CodingGenesis wrote: True. But let's not forget that Shenmue is a request made by fans. What does it help that Shenmue is in the top 3 on both lists if Sega does not want to make a game. Shenmue is Sega's IP after all and as long as they don't make an announcement or show interest in making another Shenmue, there is nothing Sony and Microsoft could possibly do. Don't get me wrong, I understand you and I, too, had slight hope, but let's put everything into perspective. It's Sega's decision what the future of Shenmue will be and no press conference of any system owner will change that. It's neither Sony's nor Microsoft's decision to make another Shenmue (or a Shenmue remake). It's solely up to Sega.

SEGA says they'll trade exclusivity for Shenmue funding
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby elfshadowreaper » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:40 am

I don't see any system footing the bill to create a Shenmue game strictly for exclusivity rights. There would have to be some revenue share or something. I don't know how video game revenue between the console manufacturer and game publisher but there would have to be a bigger kickback to the party paying for the development than "They'll flock to your console to play this game."

tomboz wrote:Shenmue sold over 1.2m copies on a console which sold little over 10m units. That equates to more than 10% of Dreamcast owners purchasing the game. Had the game been released on a more successful consoles it could have potentially broken records.

Let's say, for example, that Shenmue had been a launch title on the PS2 instead of a Dreamcast game. The PS2 sold over 155m units over it's lifespan and so taking our 12% sales per console figure we're looking at around 18.6m copies sold - which would have beaten GTA San Andreas' 17.33m sales and made it the best selling game on the PS2 (Considering GTA SA was the sixth game in a hugely successful franchise - that's pretty damn impressive for an new ip). Add in the fact that the better launch games tend to get a boost in sales due to the limited variety available at launch as well as the exponential growth in sales through word of mouth - and Shenmue could have easily sold 20m+ units on PS2.

Had it not been released on a dying/dead console (or not released at all in the case of the US) I've no doubt Shenmue 2 would have outsold the original due to several areas being drastically improved (the GTA series has shown a steady increase in sales per release as gameplay has improved) and so it's entirely possible that the games would have clocked in 45m+ sales which would have equated to about $1 development and marketing costs per copy sold and in turn - HUGE profits.

I don't think I ever responded to this but I'm so glad you broke it down the way you did. That really shows how successful Shenmue was on the DC and how successful it potentially could have(SHOULD HAVE) been on another console. Microsoft and Sega should have properly released Shenmue 1 on the Xbox and then followed that up with Shenmue 2. I think if they had done that Shenmue would have an entirely different history.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:44 am

Himuro wrote: Guys.

It's fucking nothing.

This thread is why the Shenmue fanbase and the games themselves are considered a joke by gamers. Nothing is going to happen.

I fucking told you guys. It is nothing. Why do you continue to make yourselves sad when there's no place for Shenmue in modern gaming? You guys got excited over fucking forklift working outside E3's venue in the naive belief it was actually Shenmue related. Again, silly and outright dumb. Please save yourselves heart ache and just emulate 1 and 2 on your computer. Shenmue is dead.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Giorgio » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:50 am

Last edited by Giorgio on Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby CodingGenesis » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:53 am

Interesting.
CodingGenesis
Rockman X

PSN: CodingGenesis
Currently playing: Changes on a daily basis.

Postby elfshadowreaper » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:48 am

I retweeted Boyes response to my one follower(wife). And I responded letting him know we're not being hostile. I sure hope something's going to happen eventually. His response was promising I think, I just don't want to read too much into it. Patience, patience, patience.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Esppiral » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:10 am

His response is PR bullshit, Shenmue is dead already.

Sorry for being so straightforward. :sad:

Esppiral has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, tomboz
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby tomboz » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:11 am

elfshadowreaper wrote:

I don't think I ever responded to this but I'm so glad you broke it down the way you did. That really shows how successful Shenmue was on the DC and how successful it potentially could have(SHOULD HAVE) been on another console. Microsoft and Sega should have properly released Shenmue 1 on the Xbox and then followed that up with Shenmue 2. I think if they had done that Shenmue would have an entirely different history.

It's important to remember that Shenmue's sales figures don't account for piracy either. Had piracy not been so easy on the Dreamcast the game could have broken 2m copies. It would still have been a failure financially; but the fact that 1 in 5 console owners might have purchased the game is pretty damn impressive.

I don't think the Xbox was really a viable option for the game. Ignoring for a moment the fact that it only sold 24m units (which isn't great when compared with the PS2) - the original Xbox came out at a time when the general quality of console gaming was beginning to catch up with Shenmue. Both games would have had to have been remade to really stand out in the same way that Shenmue did upon it's release. By the time that would have happened the 360 would have been imminent and the games would have really flopped.

In terms of the games having a future I think a complete remake is the only viable option. I'd be surprised if the Wii U isn't Nintendo's last console (it's sold less units than the Dreamcast in the same amount of time) which leaves Sony and Microsoft - and neither seem particularly interested at the moment.
tomboz
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby elfshadowreaper » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:23 am

I didn't know you could pirate games on the DC until years after the console died.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mue 26 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:21 pm

HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE ISSHUUR

phpBB [video]

:beerchug: =D> :new-bday: :biglaugh: :eating: :multi: :x-mas:

SHENMUE IS ALIVE!!!!!

mue 26 has received a thanks from: Giorgio
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby spinksy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:27 pm

As someone already said, his tweet is PR bullshit in an attempt to make us think he's considering it etc.

The fans demand Shenmue 3 and get Grim Fandango, console gaming is dying for a reason...... :???:
spinksy

XBL: spinksy777
Currently playing: Shenmue, skies of Arcadia

Postby mue 26 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:31 pm

Fuck you are a depressing bunch. Why would he want to make you think he's considering it unless he actually is? You think he just likes getting bombarded with tweets from hundreds of Shenmue fans? The guy isn't a troll for fucks sake.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby spinksy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:55 pm

mue 26 wrote: Fuck you are a depressing bunch. Why would he want to make you think he's considering it unless he actually is? You think he just likes getting bombarded with tweets from hundreds of Shenmue fans? The guy isn't a troll for fucks sake.

Think of it logically - how many people he'd annoy and upset if he came out and said 'nope not a chance I'm funding that' rather than 'rome wasnt built in a day' etc.

its PR bullshit, keeping people hanging on.......
spinksy

XBL: spinksy777
Currently playing: Shenmue, skies of Arcadia

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates